Name: Luo Wen (骆文)
Gender: Male
Age: 44 (Born in 1968)
Address: Baguazui, Huangshi City, Hubei Province
Occupation: Former employee at Huangshi Railroad Bureau
Date of Most Recent Arrest: July 19, 2011
Most Recent Place of Detention:
Huangshi First Detention Center (黄石市第一看守所)
City: Huangshi
Persecution Suffered:
Detention, home ransacked, extortion, kicked in the head, forced labor, brainwashing

( Mr. Luo Wen from Huangshi City has been illegally detained and tortured at the Huangshi First Detention Center since August 2011. When his lawyer went to the detention center to see him on May 21, 2012, in preparation for his upcoming trial, Mr. Lou had to be carried out by two men. He could not raise his head, his back was bent at 90 degrees, and he was too weak to speak. Authorities have not allowed his family members to visit him.

Below is a summary of the persecution that Mr. Luo has suffered to date for his belief in Falun Gong.

Subjected to brainwashing and forced labor

On July 20, 1999, when the Chinese regime began persecuting Falun Gong practitioners, Mr. Luo was arrested by officers from the Laoxialu Police Precinct and detained for 3 days. His home was searched.

Despite the pressure and the slanderous propaganda from the regime, Mr. Luo continued to practice Falun Gong and help fellow practitioners thereafter. On August 7, 2003, he was arrested again when he delivered newly published articles from the founder of Falun Gong to a fellow practitioner. He was held at the Wuhan Railroad Police Precinct for one month and later subjected to one month of brainwashing.

In 2004, Mr. Luo was sent to the Shayang Forced Labor Camp for a one-year term. While there, he was severely tortured by the guards.

Forced to become homeless to avoid arrest

In the afternoon of March 21, 2007, police officers Zhou Yajun, Huang Jisheng, Shi Jianguo and three others from the Xisaishan Police Department and the Chengyue Police Precinct broke into Mr. Luo's home and confiscated 16 personal items. They arrested Mr. Luo and sent him to the Baguazui Detention Center.

Per orders from Zhou Xianjun, chief of the Xisaishan Domestic Security Division, policemen interrogated Mr. Luo with force. They kicked him in the head with leather shoes, causing Mr. Luo to pass out. Mr. Luo was then sent to the Aikang Hospital emergency room and later transferred to a bigger hospital for emergency treatment.

Subsequently, Mr. Luo was forced to leave home in order to avoid getting arrested again. As a result, he wasn't able to support his wife and daughter. Zhou Xianjun continued to harass Mr. Luo's family members.

One day in September 2007, personnel from Mr. Luo's work unit at the Huangshi Train Station located his wife and demanded that she contact Mr. Luo and tell him to come back to work. His wife asked if they could guarantee Mr. Luo's safety, but they said they could not. The next day, two officials broke into the home of Mr. Luo's sister-in-law and asked her where they could find Mr. Luo.

At 10 p.m. on March 16, 2008, upon returning home, Mr. Luo's wife and daughter found foot prints on the living room and bedroom floors. The foot prints were very obvious as it had been raining outside.

Between March and April 2008, Mr. Luo's home was broken into four times. Each break-in took place while Mr. Luo's daughter was at school and before his wife returned home from work.

Arrested again and tortured in detention

On July 19, 2011, policemen arrested Mr. Luo in Shenzhen. In mid-August, he was transferred to the Huangshi First Detention Center. At the beginning of September, police demanded that his wife sign the arrest warrant, but she refused. Later she hired a lawyer to defend Mr. Luo.

On the afternoon of November 14, 2011, Mr. Luo's wife and lawyer went to the Xisaishan District Procuratorate and requested to view the documents pertaining to Mr. Luo's case.Their request was rejected. Yi Nan from the Procuratorate claimed that if the lawyer wanted to view any documents, he would have to obtain approval from the Huangshi City 610 Office.

At the end of December 2011, Mr. Luo's wife went to the Xisaishan District Court to inquire about the status of her husband's case. She was told that the case had been returned to the Xisaishan Police Department due to insufficient evidence.

On May 21, 2012, when the lawyer went to the Huangshi City First Detention Center to see Mr. Luo, he found that Mr. Luo had been tortured very badly. He had to be carried in by two people. He could not raise his head, his back was bent, and he was so weak that he could not speak.

Together with Mr. Luo's wife, the lawyer immediately went to the Xisaishan District Court to submit documents to bail Mr. Luo out. However, their application was ignored.

On the morning of June 5, 2012, Mr. Luo's mother, who is over 70 years old, together with other relatives went to the Huangshi City First Detention Center and requested the authorities to send Mr. Luo to a hospital for medical treatment. However, the detention center director claimed that Mr. Luo was in good physical condition, saying, “We brought him to Huangshi City Center Hospital for medical check, and there were no problems at all.” Mr. Luo's mother repeatedly asked to see her son, but the director refused.

Mr. Luo's mother and other relatives also went to Xisaishan District Court several times to appeal for Mr. Luo's release, but court personnel used various excuses to shift responsibility and refused to look into the matter.

Related articles:
“Mr. Luo Wen Still Detained in the Huangshi First Detention Center” 
“The Persecution of Mr. Luo Wen's Family in Huangshi City, Hubei Province” 
“Mr. Luo Wen from Huangshi City, Hubei Province on the Brink of Death” 
“Mr. Luo Wen Faces Trial in Huangshi, Hubei Province”