|Welcome Note...||News & Media Reports||Falun Dafa Worldwide||Personal Cultivation||Truth Clarification|
|Updates from China||Persecution Accounts||Open Forum||Cultivation in Persecution||Scientific Findings|
The Staged "Self-Immolation" Incident on Tiananmen Square
(Click here to see faluninfo.net's special page
-- A Staged Tragedy: Self-Immolation in Tiananmen Square.)
After July 20, 1999, Jiang Zemin's faction launched a far-reaching campaign of disinformation to justify its persecution of Falun Gong and to escape world condemnation. Since the persecution started, state-run media have flooded the printing presses and airwaves with fabrications about Mr. Li Hongzhi and Falun Gong.
In early 2001, desperate to turn the tide against Falun Gong, the Chinese Communist Party attempted an outrageous stunt: a staged self-immolation of five people on Tiananmen Square. The state-run media then blamed it on Falun Gong. As with all lies, the propaganda fails miserably in the details. This staged self-immolation has been analyzed by neutral reporters and by careful observers of the same videotape that was broadcasted by the Chinese government:
1. An investigative story published by the Washington Post on February 4, 2001, revealed that Ms. Liu Chunling, one of the immolators, had never practiced Falun Gong; (See Washington Post: Human Fire Ignites Chinese Mystery Motive for Public Burning Intensifies Fight Over Falun Gong)
2. Police were mysteriously patrolling Tiananmen Square with dozens of pieces of firefighting equipment that day;
3. Liu Siying, the 12-year-old girl who was allegedly burned badly, was purported to have had a tracheotomy, but spoke and sang clearly in a TV interview, a medical impossibility;
4. Mr. Wang Jindong was shown to have been badly burned; while hair burns and plactic melts extremely quickly, his hair and the plastic Sprite bottle that he had used to dowse gasoline remained miraculously intact.
5. A slow motion analysis of the videotape reveals that a blunt object hit Ms. Liu Chunling on the head.
These holes prompted International Education Development, an NGO affiliated with the United Nations , to issue the following statement during the 2001 session of the UN Sub-Commission on the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights: "The regime points to a supposed self-immolation incident in Tiananmen Square on January 23, 2001 ... However, we have obtained a video of that incident that in our view proves that this event was staged by the government."
Immediately after the event, the Falun Dafa Information Center in New York published a press release condemning the Xinhua News Agency for spreading unfounded, defamatory claims about Falun Gong. It also called on the PRC regime to allow the world media and international human rights groups to investigate this case to clarify the facts. No independent investigation has ever been allowed.
Insights on "Self-Immolation"
Falun Gong Practitioners Around the World Expose the Staged "Self-Immolation"
Other articles related to the Self-Immolation Incident