(Minghui.org) The deaths of 20 Falun Gong practitioners as a result of the persecution by the Chinese communist regime were reported in May 2023. 

The newly reported cases took place over the span of six years (2017-2023), with one case in 2017, another case in 2021, three cases in 2022, and 15 cases in 2023. Due to strict information censorship in China, deaths can’t always be reported in a timely manner, nor is all information readily available.

The twenty practitioners, including nine females, hailed from fourteen provinces, centrally controlled municipalities and autonomous regions in China. Inner Mongolia had three cases. Hubei, Liaoning, Jiangsu and Jilin each had two cases. The remaining nine regions, including Hunan, Qinghai, Heilongjiang, Yunnan, Beijing, Ningxia, Guangdong, Hebei and Henan, each had one case.

Among the 18 practitioners whose ages were unknown at the time of their deaths, they were between 53 and 85, including 4 in their 50s, 5 in their 60s, 4 in their 70s and 5 in their 80s. They came from all walks of life, including a librarian, a railroad engineer, a nurse and a business owner. 

Most of the practitioners died after enduring over two decades of harassment, detention and torture. Two practitioners had become blind and three other practitioners had lost their spouses before they passed away in the persecution themselves. 

In particular, a nurse in Liaoning Province spent 13 years taking care of her high paraplegic husband. She was arrested one month after her husband’s passing and sentenced to 5.5 years. Succumbing to the mental and physical exhaustion, she died three years after prison release. She was only 54.

Below are select death cases. The full list of the 20 practitioners whose deaths were reported can be downloaded here (PDF).

Family Tragedies

Arrested One Month After Husband’s Persecution Death, Former Nurse Also Dies Nine Years Later

Ms. Liu Xinying’s husband became a high paraplegic after being tortured in a labor camp for practicing Falun Gong. He remained bedridden for the next 13 years and died on February 19, 2014, at the age of 45. Ms. Liu was arrested one month later and sentenced to 5.5 years, for her shared faith in Falun Gong.

When Ms. Liu finally returned home, she still couldn’t live a peaceful life, as the police continued to monitor and harass her. Years of hard work caring for her husband while raising their daughter, as well as the mounting mental pressure from the persecution, took a toll on Ms. Liu’s health. The Dalian City, Liaoning Province, resident passed away on April 22, 2023. She was 54.

The late Ms. Liu Xinying and her husband Mr. Qu Hui

Ms. Liu used to be a nurse at Dalian Obstetrics and Gynecology Hospital. Her husband, Mr. Qu Hui, was a seaport cargo clerk. Ms. Liu and Mr. Qu took up Falun Gong in 1995 and 1996 respectively.

The couple went to Beijing in January 2000 to appeal for Falun Gong, only to be arrested at Tiananmen Square. After being taken back to Dalian, Mr. Qu was given one year of forced labor and Ms. Liu three years.

Due to savage beating in the labor camp, Mr. Qu sustained a fractured cervical vertebra and paraplegia. The wounds on his genitals—from electric shocks—became infected. His heart rate was up to 160 beats per minute. His lung function was failing and he had difficulty breathing. His kidney function also failed and a catheterization tube was inserted. His body was covered with bedsores, with the largest one on his buttocks being nearly 10 centimeters wide. His vertebrae was exposed and exuded a foul smell. Only then was he released.

With the strong protest of Mr. Qu’s family, the authorities released Ms. Liu so she could care for him. Although his physical condition stabilized with her meticulous care, the constant police harassment still left the couple living in fear. 

After enduring unimaginable suffering for 13 years, Mr. Qu passed away on February 19, 2014, at the age of 45. During his funeral on February 21, plainclothes officers videotaped the attendees.

On March 21, 2014, just one month after Mr. Qu’s passing, Ms. Liu was arrested by the police waiting downstairs when she went out. The police accused her of providing rides to human rights lawyers a year earlier when they traveled from Beijing to Dalian to defend local practitioners.

She was made to stand trial at the Zhongshan District Court in September 2014. Despite her extremely weak physical condition, the judge kept her in custody and sentenced her to 5.5 years. She was incarcerated until her term ended in March 2020.

The police continued to harass Ms. Liu after she returned home. They often asked her whether she planned to move abroad. Even when she indicated that she wouldn’t do so, the police still monitored her daily life. They always followed her when she traveled out of town to visit her daughter.

The mental pressure took a toll on Ms. Liu’s health. She passed away on April 22, 2023. Even one month before her passing, the local police called her and demanded to talk to her.

Blinded Railroad Engineer Dies of a Heart Attack, Ten Years After Wife’s Persecution Death

Ten years after his wife died in the persecution of Falun Gong, a 70-year-old railroad engineer in Tonghua City, Jilin Province, passed away after having a heart attack in mid-April 2023. The elderly man lived the last few years in his life with extreme difficulty, after he became blinded while living on his own.

Mr. Zhang Chaobin and his wife, Ms. Song Yuhua, both took up Falun Gong in May 1995. Mr. Zhang credited the practice for curing his heart condition, severe insomnia, and bursa inflammation in his left elbow. Ms. Song, who became paralyzed after a stroke, regained mobility. With the onset of the persecution in 1999, they were targeted by the authorities for not giving up their faith.

Wife’s Passing

Ms. Song was arrested in April 2007. The police took turns interrogating her and deprived her of sleep. They also starved her and threatened to order her workplace to fire her if she didn’t renounce Falun Gong. After four months of abuse at the detention center, Ms. Song developed a severe heart condition. She lost all of her teeth, and her hair turned gray. Her body weight dropped from 160 pounds to 105 pounds.

Ms. Song was later sentenced to a three-year prison term with five years of probation. The police frequently harassed her during her probation and ordered her to submit a “thought report” every month. She was under tremendous mental pressure and her health kept declining in her final years. She passed away on February 26, 2013.

Husband’s Passing

While stilling mourning Ms. Song’s passing, Mr. Zhang was arrested on his way to work on September 2, 2014. The police took off his jacket and restrained him in a metal chair for ten hours. They then interrogated him for four hours, while keeping him handcuffed. The cuffs were very tight and his wrists became swollen. As he was found to have a severe heart condition, the detention center refused to admit him. Pressured by the police director, the detention center eventually agreed to take him, but only detained him for nine days, before releasing him on bail.

Torture reenactment: Metal chair

To avoid further persecution, Mr. Zhang was forced to live away from home. The mental agony and physical hardship took a toll on his health.

Mr. Zhang was arrested again in June 2019. He appeared in Liuhe Court on June 30, 2019. The judge sentenced him to a three-year term with five years of probation on December 2, 2019.

During Mr. Zhang’s probation, the police ordered him to call them every day. They also constantly checked whether he was at home, and threatened him to give up Falun Gong.

Unable to live a normal life, Mr. Zhang was forced to live away from home again. Only a year later, he became blinded. Life was extremely hard when he struggled to cook for himself and do the laundry. Yet the police still found him and harassed him. In mid-April 2023, Mr. Zhang suddenly suffered a heart attack and died.

Wife and Husband Pass Away Less Than Two Years Apart

A married couple in Wuhan City, Hubei Province were subjected to repeated arrests and detention for not renouncing Falun Gong. Ms. Sun Zerong was almost tortured to death at a brainwashing center. Mr. Yang Lingfu served four years in prison and was subjected to financial persecution after his release. Ms. Sun and Mr. Yang passed away one after another, in January 2021 and late 2022, respectively.

Ms. Sun Zerong’s Persecution

Ms. Sun was a soft-spoken and kind person. She was arrested in early 2003 and taken to the Etouwan Brainwashing Center. The police kept beating her, until she fainted. After she was resuscitated in the hospital, the police took her back to the brainwashing center and continued the beatings. When she was on the verge of death she was taken back to the hospital for resuscitation. Seeing that she might die at any time, the police left her in the hospital and ran away.

Ms. Sun was arrested again on June 5, 2013 for talking to people about Falun Gong on the street. She was detained at the Wuhan City No. 1 Lockup for 15 days.

Eight officers descended on the couple’s home on September 24, 2013 and deceived them into opening the door by claiming they needed to check their household registration form. The couple were then taken to the Etouwan Brainwashing Center. Ms. Sun was released in the evening due to her high blood pressure. Both she and Mr. Yang were extorted a total of 1,100 yuan by the brainwashing center.

Ms. Sun’s last arrest was on May 23, 2016, after the plumber who was working at her apartment led the police there. The police later revealed that they arrested her because she sued Jiang Zemin, the former head of the Chinese communist regime who ordered the persecution of Falun Gong. Due to her dangerously high blood pressure, the police released her in the evening.

The non-stop arrests and harassment over the years took a toll on Ms. Sun’s health. She passed away on January 21, 2021. She was 63 years old.

Mr. Yang Lingfu’s Persecution

Mr. Yang Lingfu

Mr. Yang previously worked for the Dongxihu District Food Supply and Marketing Association. Three days after his arrest on September 24, 2013, he was transferred to the Wuhan City No. 2 Detention Center. As he was rejected admission because of high blood pressure, the police took him to the Ankang Hospital, which was affiliated with the Wuhan Police Department. He was admitted by the detention center three months later on December 11.

The police later submitted Mr. Yang’s case to the Qiaokou District Procuratorate, accusing him of printing Falun Gong books at home.

Mr. Yang appeared in Qiaokou District Court on April 11, 2014 and was sentenced to four years in Fanjiatai Prison four days later.

The Wuhan Social Security Bureau suspended Mr. Yang’s pension in October 2021. The bureau claimed that according to a new policy, Mr. Yang shouldn’t be entitled to any retirement benefits while serving the four-year term. The bureau suspended his pension to pay back the 61,000 yuan he “owed.”

Although Mr. Yang had over 40 years of service at his workplace and he made contributions to his retirement account for 34 years, the bureau claimed that they only honored 17 years of his service and whenever he would start to receive pension again, the monthly payment would be adjusted from 2,700 yuan to 1,200 yuan.

While still mourning the passing of his wife, Mr. Yang was devastated by the financial persecution. His health started to decline and he passed away a year later in 2022.

Jiangsu Man Dies After Two Decades of Harassment and Extortion, Mother Not Allowed to Contact Him

Mr. Li Jianping, a Falun Gong practitioner in Nanjing City, Jiangsu Province, was arrested several times for upholding his faith after the Chinese Communist Party began to persecute Falun Gong in 1999. When he wasn’t in detention, he was forced to live in displacement for a period of time to hide from the police. After he returned home, he faced constant harassment from the police and lived in fear that he might be arrested at any time.

Eyeing Mr. Li’s private company and his real estate properties, the police found all kinds of excuses to extort money from him. The surveillance was escalated since late 2019. The police and the residential committee staff members even began to play mahjong (a gambling game) at his home and forced him to play with them, in order to extort money from him.

The lead officer threatened Mr. Li, “You’d better be smart. Do you think we are here to play with you? Let me tell you, for stubborn people like you, we can kill you at any time and remove your heart and liver. Tell your wife, if we stop coming to your home, she has to go to my place. I’m afraid you won’t be able to find her anymore if that’s the case. No one will help you. You can also tell your children. With us coming here, you get to keep your company and properties. Your family can also spend time together. How good is that!”

The harassment and the extortion caused tremendous emotional distress to Mr. Li. He passed away in mid-April 2023. He was 61.

Mr. Li wasn’t the only one in his family to have been victimized by the 24-year-long persecution by the Chinese Communist Party. His mother, also a Falun Gong practitioner, was threatened by the police not to contact him; otherwise, both she and he would face grave consequences. The elderly woman in her 80s died in distress in late 2017.

Deceased Mere Months After Last Arrest

Liaoning Man Dies Ten Months Following Latest Arrest

A Benxi City, Liaoning Province resident was forcibly injected with the so-called COVID-19 vaccine and started suffering severe side effects two days later. After having a persistent fever and cough for ten months, Mr. Tian Xiaofei passed away on May 5, 2023. He was 65.

Mr. Tian was arrested at home on July 13, 2022. The police covered Mr. Tian’s head with a black hood and took him to the police station for interrogation. They said to him, “We protect bad people and arrest good people.”

Illustration: being held in a metal cage

The police locked Mr. Tian in a metal cage, where he couldn’t stand up or stretch his legs. He held a hunger strike for two days. The police kept interrogating and threatening him, but he didn’t back down.

An officer surnamed Chen said to him, “Even if I have to spend the money myself, I would bribe my way to send you to the local detention center and sentence you to another ten years.”

The police took Mr. Tian to the hospital for a physical examination. They held him and forcibly gave him a shot, which they claimed to be a COVID-19 vaccine. As Mr. Tian failed the physical examination, the police attempted to force the doctor to issue a false report about his health. The doctor refused to comply and the detention center denied Mr. Tian’s admission.

Mr. Tian was sent back home on the evening of July 15, 2022. He couldn’t eat and struggled with persistent fever and coughs. He also had significant weight loss. In less than ten months, he passed away.

Prior to his last arrest, Mr. Tian was seized by the Beijing police on December 26, 2000, when he went there to appeal for Falun Gong. He was arrested again on February 26, 2002, and secretly sentenced to ten years. 

Once Jailed for 8 Years for Faith, 70-Year-Old Woman Dies Nine Months After Last Arrest

A 70-year-old woman in Linli County, Hunan Province died on April 19, 2023, after enduring decades of persecution for upholding her faith in Falun Gong. Ms. Wu Chuanying’s death came nine months after she was last arrested and had her home raided by police.

Ms. Wu worked at Linli County Supply and Marketing Cooperative before she retired in 2005. She used to suffer from severe neurosis, insomnia, migraine, diabetes, nephritis, and many other ailments. Years of medical treatments failed to cure her, but all her symptoms miraculously disappeared after she took up Falun Gong in 1998. 

Ms. Wu never wavered in her faith after the Chinese Communist Party launched a nationwide campaign against Falun Gong on July 20, 1999. She was repeatedly persecuted as a result. Below is a recap of the major ordeals she suffered:

- She was arrested in February 2000 for going to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong and detained for two and half years.

- She was arrested four times between November 2004 and November 2005, and the fourth arrest in 2005 resulted in a three-year prison sentence. She managed to escape in April 2006, only to be arrested again five months later and sentenced to eight years in prison.

- While taking the train on December 5, 2016, to visit her daughter for the New Year, Ms. Wu was found to have Falun Gong materials in her bag while going through train station security. She was given five days of administrative detention.

- She was arrested again on March 12, 2020, and detained for 15 days. The police harassed her on September 5, 2020. 

- She was detained for several hours on July 21, 2022.

- She also suffered financial persecution. Her pension was stopped in August 2020, six years after she was released from prison. The local social security bureau also ordered her to return the over 130,000 yuan pension payments issued to her since 2006 when she started serving her 8-year prison sentence. She filed a lawsuit against the social security bureau and the local court ruled in her favor on October 11, 2021, ordering the defendant to reinstate her pension within 20 days of the ruling. But the social security bureau refused to follow the court order and never reinstated her pension.

- Her last arrest was on July 21, 2022. Her home was ransacked. She was put on house arrest and released around 9 that night.

Deaths After Decades of Harassment and Torture

Tortured to Complete Blindness in Custody, 83-year-old Woman Dies 22 Years Later After Enduring Non-stop Police Harassment

A Wuhan City, Hubei Province resident became blind in 2001 after 14 months of detention and torture in a brainwashing center for practicing Falun Gong. Despite her condition, the police never stopped harassing Ms. Cai Changzhen, leaving her living in constant fear. She passed away in March 2023, at the age of 83.

Ms. Cai worked for the Wuhan Water Company before she retired. She used to suffer severe neck and back problems, rheumatoid in her fingers, as well as a condition with her stomach, kidney, and liver. All of the conditions disappeared after she took up Falun Gong in March 1993.

Three months after the communist regime ordered the persecution in July 1999, Ms. Cai went to Beijing to appeal for the right to practice Falun Gong. She was arrested, taken back to Wuhan, and held at the Etouwan Brainwashing Center for over a month.

Ms. Cai was arrested again in early August 2000 for distributing Falun Gong materials. In the Etouwan Brainwashing Center, she was subjected to constant beating and being hung up by the wrists. She became completely blind in January 2001 due to the torture, but the guards didn’t release her until September 2001.

Torture reenactment: being hung up

Ms. Cai once recalled how she went blind in custody, “A police officer interrogated me as to where I got the materials about Falun Gong. As I refused to tell him anything, he punched me in the face and my eyes bled as a result. Then he pushed me to the vent of the air conditioner. At the same time, there was a ceiling fan above me and another fan blowing at me from behind. I wasn’t allowed to sleep for three weeks. A few days later, the police hung me up after lunch and continued to question me about the source of the materials. I remained silent and then fainted. I first lost vision in my right eye due to the injury from the beating. Gradually, I also lost the vision in my left eye and I became completely blind.”

Only a year after Ms. Cai was released, the police attempted to arrest her again on September 30, 2002, but relented after her neighbors condemned them for persecuting a blind woman. To avoid further persecution, Ms. Cai went into hiding for over a month.

Several officers knocked on Ms. Cai’s door on January 7, 2003. As soon as she opened the door, they rushed in and took her to the Etouwan Brainwashing Center, where she was held for eight days.

Weeks before the Beijing Summer Olympics, the police arrested Ms. Cai, who was nearly 70 back then, on July 19, 2008, and took her to the Etouwan Brainwashing Center again. Given strong protest from her son, Ms. Cai was released three days later.

Several people knocked on Ms. Cai’s door on April 25, 2014, asking to check her electricity meter, even though it wasn’t located inside her home. Ms. Cai refused to open the door. The police spent one hour prying open her two doors. They attempted to arrest her but were again stopped by her neighbors. After one hour of standoff, they left at around 7 p.m.

Two officers came again on June 16, 2016, and deceived Ms. Cai into opening the door, by claiming to check her water meter. They seized her Falun Gong books, a photo of Falun Gong’s founder, some informational materials, and a media player.

The non-stop harassment left Ms. Cai living in fear all these years. Her blindness made it even harder for her to manage life while living on her own. Succumbing to the decades of hardship, she passed away in March 2023.

Former Oilfield Employee Dies from Harassment, Detention and Torture

Mr. Wang Kui, a retired employee of Daqing Oilfield in Daqing City, Heilongjiang Province, passed away on December 22, 2022, after enduring two decades of harassment, detention, and brutal torture for practicing Falun Gong. He was 64.

Mr. Wang Kui

Mr. Wang’s mother died when he was little, and he often faced hunger as a result, which led to chronic stomach problems. After he grew up, he suffered severe injury on his neck and couldn’t lift his arms due to an accident at work. He tried various treatments, but to no avail. After he took up Falun Gong in 1997, when he was 39, he regained his health and became a better person. 

After the persecution started, Mr. Wang went to Beijing to appeal for the right to practice Falun Gong on November 22, 2000. He was arrested at Tiananmen Square and beaten by the police. He was handcuffed and held in a metal cage in the police station. After he was taken back to Daqing, he was detained for 36 days and forced to pay for the 6,800-yuan travel expenses that the officers incurred in going to Beijing to escort him back.

Mr. Wang was arrested again on the evening of November 13, 2001 while putting up information about Falun Gong. The police stomped on him and beat him with a rubber stick. His teeth, shoulder, back and legs were severely injured. The police kept him sitting in a metal chair for 12 hours. 

When the Dulitun Detention Center refused to admit him the next day, the police took him to the Longfeng District Detention Center. The guards slapped him in the face and injured him. The inmates also beat him and injured his back when he refused to recite detention center rules and insisted on doing the Falun Gong exercises. 

After 30 days, Mr. Wang was transferred to the Ranghulu Lockup. He managed to escape two days later and was forced to live away from home to hide from police for the next three years. 

Mr. Wang decided to go back home in early 2005 and returned to work. On May 18, 2005, the police deceived him into opening the door by claiming to be collecting his water bill. His home was ransacked. He was handcuffed and forced to sit in a metal chair at the police station. Then he was taken to the Longfeng Detention Center, where he was kept for 14 days. 

The 610 Office agents took him to the Wuchang City Brainwashing Center on April 10, 2011. A group of officers pressed him on the ground and handcuffed him. The skin on his hands was rubbed off. He was then taken to a dark room, hung up by his wrists to a metal pipe, with his toes barely touching the ground. The pain was excruciating and he was sweating profusely. The police didn’t allow him to close his eyes either. 

The head of the brainwashing center verbally abused Mr. Wang and Falun Gong. From time to time, he came to pull his hair, slap him in the face, and stomp on his stomach, legs, and feet. 

Mr. Wang was hung up for over 60 hours. His hands and feet were severely swollen. The handcuffs cut into his flesh, causing him to bleed. Only after he lost feeling in his body and fainted did the police finally put him down. 

As a result of the torture, Mr. Wang became incapacitated and was unable to walk on his own. Yet the authorities kept him in custody for 118 days and didn’t release him until August 5. Upon learning that he resumed practicing Falun Gong, the police continued to harass him. 

Mr. Wang’s last arrest was on November 22, 2020. His home was also ransacked. He suffered a stroke in the police station and became incapacitated again. He was released on bail in the evening.

Mr. Wang struggled to recover this time. He couldn’t move his right arm or hold objects. He also had trouble talking or organizing his speech. He fell again in early November 2022 and was hospitalized, but without much improvement. Upon returning home, he began to suffer mouth paralysis and couldn’t chew. His family took him to a rehabilitation hospital, but his condition continued to decline. He completely lost the ability to talk and faded in and out of consciousness. He passed away shortly after on December 22, 2022.

Jilin Woman Develops Breast Cancer While Serving Time, Dies a Year Later

A 53-year-old Changchun City, Jilin Province resident passed away on May 8, 2023. Ms. Wang Guiqin was arrested at her rental apartment on June 18, 2020. She was held at the Changchun City No.4 Detention Center for two years, before being sentenced to two years and two months by the Chaoyang District Court in June 2022. 

While in custody, her health began to deteriorate and a lump grew in her right breast, which soon oozed out pus and blood. She was taken to the hospital for a checkup on June 19, 2022 and was confirmed to have late-stage breast cancer. She had trouble lifting her right arm and often stayed awake at night due to intense pain. 

Ms. Wang’s family frequented the police station and the court to seek her immediate release, but to no avail. She wasn’t released until October 18, 2022, after serving a full term.

Upon returning home, Ms. Wang’s condition continued to decline. Her right breast festered. She became emaciated and was in and out of coma. Her family took her to the hospital, but the doctor said her condition was beyond treatment. She passed away seven months later on May 8, 2023. 

Ms. Wang used to work for the Changchun City Washing Machine Factory. She was also a volunteer coordinator of a local Falun Gong practice site. In the 24 years of persecution, she was repeatedly arrested and detained for a total of eight years, including three labor camp terms and a prison term. She endured savage beating, electric shocks and other torture while in custody.

78-year-old Man Suffers Memory Loss, Dies Eight Months After Prison Release

By the time Mr. Han Shunxing, of Luoyang City, Henan Province, was released in September 2022 from serving a two-year prison term, he had lost all of his memory and become disoriented and extremely weak. He was admitted to several local hospitals, but no treatment had any effects on him. He passed away on May 13, 2023. He was 78.

Mr. Han’s ordeal stemmed from an arrest on December 15, 2017 together with another practitioner Mr. Liu Aifang, after both were reported for distributing calendars bearing information about Falun Gong. The police impounded their private vehicle and the remaining calendars. Ms. Liu was released that evening and Mr. Han was taken to a detention center, before being released on bail later on. 

The police submitted both practitioners’ cases to the local procuratorate two years later. Ms. Li was sentenced to 1.5 years and Mr. Han to two years with a 6,000-yuan fine on August 14, 2020. Mr. Han appealed with the Luoyang City Intermediate Court, which ruled to uphold his original verdict.

Several officers broke into Mr. Han’s home on the early morning of September 20, 2020 and took him to the Xinmi Prison. He persisted in practicing Falun Gong and was subjected to relentless torture, which eventually claimed his life.

Inner Mongolia Man Suffers Mental Disorder Induced by Torture, Harassment and Extortion, Dies Years Later

After struggling with years of mental disorder due to the persecution for practicing Falun Gong, a Chifeng City, Inner Mongolia resident passed away on January 16, 2023. He was 69.

Mr. Li Yonggang was a volunteer coordinator of a local Falun Gong practice site. On July 20, 1999, the day when the persecution started, the police arrested him and treated him as a key target for the persecution. 

As Mr. Li remained silent during the interrogation, the police bent his fingers backward until they reached the back of his hand. They also squeezed his testicles, making them extremely swollen. His face was so swollen and pale that others couldn’t recognize him. His abdomen was also swollen and bruised. 

The police later accused Mr. Li of buying Falun Gong books for the local practitioners and attempted to extort him at least 200,000 yuan, an amount they claimed to be equal to the back taxes he owed for selling the books. As he couldn’t afford to pay the money, the police lowered the amount of 50,000 yuan. His relatives chipped in and helped him pay it. 

Due to the torture, financial extortion and on-going harassment, Mr. Li became mentally disoriented in 2002. Yet the police continued to harass him and extort him another 80,000 yuan over the years. Whenever he recovered a bit, the persecution would cause his condition to deteriorate again. Succumbing to the mental pressure, Mr. Li passed away in January 2023.

Related reports:

25 Falun Gong Practitioner Deaths Due to Persecution Reported in April 2023

25 Falun Gong Practitioner Deaths Due to Persecution Reported in March 2023

19 Falun Gong Practitioner Deaths Due to Persecution Reported in February 2023

15 Falun Gong Practitioner Deaths Due to Persecution Reported in January 2023