Name: Li PingChinese Name: 李萍Gender: FemaleAge: 61City: HolingolProvince: Inner MongoliaOccupation: N/ADate of Death: September 15, 2023Date of Most Recent Arrest: August 12, 2014Most Recent Place of Detention: Inner Mongolia Women’s Prison

Succumbing to the physical torture, administration of toxic drugs, and mental distress from serving a five-year term for her faith in Falun Gong, Ms. Li Ping passed away on September 15, 2023, only eight days before her 61st birthday.

Ms. Li, a Holingol City, Inner Mongolia resident, took up Falun Gong in 1997. Not long after, all her physical ailments that had tormented her for years disappeared. Grateful to Falun Gong for giving her a new life, she remained firm in her faith when the Chinese communist regime ordered the persecution on July 20, 1999. Since then, she endured countless incidents of harassment. Her home was ransacked twice and she was twice held in brainwashing centers. Prior to her five-year prison term given in 2015, she also served a forced labor camp term of 2.5 years.

Last Arrest and Detention

Ms. Li was stopped by police and arrested at the entrance of her apartment building on the morning of August 12, 2014. The police interrogated her in a small dark room in the basement of the local police department, but she refused to cooperate.

The police ransacked her home that afternoon. They confiscated her Falun Gong books, a computer, two printers, more than 7,000 yuan in cash, and other belongings.

She was taken to the local detention center later in the day and detained there through the winter. She was interrogated multiple times but never gave in. When she went on a hunger strike for five days to protest the persecution, the guards punished her by leaving her in a cold room. An inmate was assigned to watch her.

Li Bu, head of the Domestic Security Division, tried to force Ms. Li to cooperate with him for a TV program to slander Falun Gong. She refused to comply.

Five-year Prison Sentence

Ms. Li appeared in the Holingol City Court eight times between December 2014 and May 2015 before being sentenced to five years in prison. Before she was taken to the prison, she went on a hunger strike for nine days. The director of the detention center ordered the guards to tie her up to a “death bed” torture device for one day.

Ms. Li was transferred to Hohhot Women’s Prison with her hands and feet chained together on October 18, 2015. She was first put in a group where steadfast Falun Gong practitioners were treated especially harshly to force them to renounce their faith. An inmate was assigned to follow and monitor her. This lasted for a year. Nonetheless, Ms. Li didn’t compromise, and she also refused to do the labor work, since she had broken no laws and was not a criminal. She later found out that the guards had instructed inmates to mix unknown drugs into her food. The guards also injected her with toxic drugs when she refused to eat the tampered food.

On one occasion, when Ms. Li and another imprisoned Falun Gong practitioner were talking in the hallway, a prison guard spotted them and scolded them. The guard later went through Ms. Li’s luggage and took away the notes she wrote to document her persecution.

Two days before her release, a guard saw her doing the Falun Gong exercises, and punished her by making her sit on a small stool in the hallway for nine hours.

Related reports:

Inner Mongolian Woman Imprisoned Five Years for Her Faith

A Trial That Should Never Have Taken Place

Lawyers Object to Illegal Proceedings, Court Adjourns

Third Trial in Same Court Ends Up with Same Outcome