(Minghui.org) Ms. Yuan Yuqin, a Longkou City, Shandong Province resident, contracted tuberculosis while in custody following her arrest for practicing Falun Gong two years ago. She was later sentenced to four years but given medical parole due to her worsened health condition. Nonetheless, the police kept attempting to have her admitted to a local prison.

Falun Gong, also known as Falun Dafa, is a spiritual discipline that has been persecuted by the Chinese communist regime since 1999.

The police made another attempt to take her to the prison on July 2, 2021. After she failed the physical examination twice and the prison refused to admit her, the police threatened to imprison her as soon as she recovered in the future.

Ms. Yuan was arrested on July 3, 2019 and taken to Yantai Detention Center. Another two Falun Gong practitioners, Ms. Fu Qiurong and Mr. Yao Xinren, were also arrested around the same time, and were held at the Zhangjiakou Detention Center.

After more than one year of detention, Ms. Yuan was sentenced to four years in prison, and Ms. Fu to three years with a 30,000 yuan fine on June 18, 2020.

Mr. Yao suffered a stroke in the detention center on April 22, 2020. He received a craniotomy the next morning and remained in a coma afterwards. Without his wife’s consent, the police and hospital staff members removed Mr. Yao from the intensive care unit and took him to the Dongjiang Senior Center on February 4, 2021. The senior center didn’t have the equipment needed to provide care for him. He passed away a week later. It was reported that he was emaciated, and the urinary catheter had grown into his flesh by the time he died.

Having contracted tuberculosis at the Yantai Detention Center, Ms. Yuan kept coughing after she was sentenced to prison. The guards released her on medical parole, fearing she carried the coronavirus. After she returned home, Guo Fudui, the head of the Domestic Security Office, kept calling her and urging her to go to the hospital for a physical examination.

The police are now requiring Ms. Yuan to undergo a physical examination once every month, and they threatened to imprison her as soon as she recovers.

It’s not clear whether Ms. Fu has been taken to the prison.

Previous Arrests

Two plainclothes officers stopped Ms. Yuan in front of her garage and attempted to arrest her in early 2016. Although she escaped, the police broke into her home on December 5, 2016 with help from a locksmith, and arrested her. Her Falun Gong books and a photo of Falun Gong’s founder were confiscated.

In a storage room at the Domestic Security Office, Wang Yucheng, deputy head of the Domestic Security Office, slammed Ms. Yuan’s head and shoulder with a table tennis racket and verbally abused her, when she refused to answer his questions.

Ms. Yuan felt dizzy after the beating. Her body kept shaking and her heart palpitated. After later being released on bail after losing consciousness at the Yantai Detention Center, the police kept monitoring her and her family members’ cellphones.

Related Reports:

Shandong Man Slips into Coma at Detention Center, Dies After the Police Remove His Life Support

Three Shandong Residents Detained for Over a Year for Their Faith, One Remains in a Coma After Suffering a Stroke

Three Shandong Residents Face Indictment for Their Faith

Longkou City, Shandong Province: Eight Falun Gong Practitioners Arrested and Five Harassed for Their Faith

Chinese version available

Category: Accounts of Persecution