(Minghui.org) A Fuyu City, Jilin Province, man who was sentenced to 11 years in prison 12 days after his arrest in 2019 for practicing Falun Gong, is now in critical condition after suffering a stroke in custody.

Falun Gong, also known as Falun Dafa, is a spiritual discipline that has been persecuted by the Chinese communist regime since 1999.

Mr. Liu Qing was arrested in his rental place in Songyuan City, Jilin Province on August 15, 2019, four years after he was forced into displacement to avoid persecution following an earlier arrest on July 16, 2015. He appeared in Fuyu City Court on August 27, 2019, and was sentenced to 11 years.

Mr. Liu was sent to the Fuyu Detention Center on the same day of his latest arrest. Wu Guojiang, the head of the detention center, and another officer surnamed Zhao beat him the next day and injured his back and ribs. He was in tremendous pain and couldn’t keep his body straight.

According to his wife who attended his hearing on August 27, he was emaciated. He had a bandage on his head and a feeding tube in his nose. She later learned that he couldn’t keep food down and vomited everything he ate.

When Mr. Liu’s daughter, a high school student, visited him in the Jilin Province Second Prison on September 29, 2019, six days after he was sent there, she was saddened to see him pale and very weak. He walked with his upper body bent forward and with the help of a guard. He told her that he was sent to the hospital for resuscitation twice while still held at the detention center.

Mr. Liu’s family visited him again on October 17, 2019. His situation was even worse than a month ago. He was still vomiting and lost more weight.

He told his family about being beaten by the guards in the detention center. The pain in his back and ribs had persisted for months without any improvement, which also prevented him from standing straight. He asked them to deposit 1,000 yuan for him to do a physical examination. He also said that while he was at the detention center, the guards brought him to do a physical examination four times. They only asked the doctor to check his stomach, as he kept vomiting, but didn’t do anything with the injuries to his back and rib.

On October 9, 2020, Mr. Liu’s family received a call from the prison and was told that he was seriously ill and had been hospitalized. They rushed to the hospital the next day. The doctor said he had a stroke and was still in critical condition.

Related reports:

Jilin Man Imprisoned After Receiving an 11-year Term Within 12 Days of His Arrest

Jilin Man Sentenced to 11 Years, Two Weeks Following His Arrest for Practicing Falun Gong

After Four Years on the Run, Jilin Man Arrested and Tried for His Faith in Falun Gong

Police Break into Practitioner's Home and Terrify His Family

Two Falun Gong Practitioners from Fuyu County, Jilin Province Persecuted

Mr. Liu Qing Brutally Tortured in Yinmahe Forced Labor Camp in Jiutai, Jilin Province