(Minghui.org) A Shenyang City, Liaoning Province resident was sent to Kangjiashan Prison in critical condition on October 30, 2019 to serve a two-year term for his faith in Falun Gong.

Falun Gong, also known as Falun Dafa, is an ancient spiritual and meditation discipline that has been persecuted by the Chinese communist regime since 1999.

Mr. Hu Li, a 46-year-old aircraft engineer, has been on a hunger strike since his arrest in May 2019. The guards at the Faku County Detention Center tied him to a wooden board in the spread-eagle position to force-feed him and left the feeding tube in his stomach for weeks. He was hospitalized several times while held at the detention center. 

When his family visited Mr. Hu at the prison on November 7, 2019, he was emaciated and incapacitated. The prison doctor predicted that he only has a few months left. 

Arrested and Sentenced after 1.5 Years on the Run

Mr. Hu was previously arrested on November 12, 2017 and released on bail on December 7, 2017 when he was in serious condition from torture in custody. He later left home and moved from place to place to avoid arrest. He was soon put on the police’s wanted list.

The other two practitioners arrested with him, Ms. Guo Xuhong and Ms. Wang Tianwa, were each sentenced to one year in prison by the Faku County Court on April 4, 2018, with a 20,000-yuan fine.

Mr. Hu was captured by the police while passing out Falun Gong informational materials at Benxi City, about 30 miles from Shenyang, on May 23, 2019. 

The authorities denied Mr. Hu family visits at the Faku County Detention Center and initiated the prosecution process right after his latest arrest. He was sentenced to two years by the Faku County Court on June 20, 2019, two days after his hearing.

Mr. Hu appealed to the Shenyang City Intermediate Court, which ruled on August 6, 2019 that the Faku County Court had violated legal procedure in prosecuting the case, and required them to hold a retrial.

The Faku County Court retried Mr. Hu’s case on August 22, 2019. His lawyer entered a not guilty plea for him. Mr. Hu also defended his innocence. The judge still sentenced him to two years, with an additional 20,000-yuan fine. 

Mr. Hu appealed to the intermediate court again, which ruled to uphold the new verdict.

He was sent to Kangjiashan Prison on October 30, 2019.

It was reported that several prisons in Liaoning Province declined to admit Mr. Hu due to his physical condition. The authorities had to bribe officials at Kangjiashan Prison for them to receive Mr. Hu.

After Mr. Hu was sent to the prison, officials at the Faku County Detention Center held a party to celebrate it.

Mr. Hu has been repeatedly arrested and detained over the past 20 years for his faith in Falun Gong. He was savagely beaten, shocked with electric batons, deprived of sleep, and subjected to forced labor while being detained at a labor camp between 2001 and 2002.

Related reports:

Appeals Court Orders Retrial of Engineer Imprisoned for His Faith

Liaoning Man Immobilized on a Wood Board in Spread-eagle Position for Weeks Before and After His Two-Year Prison Sentence

Liaoning Aircraft Engineer Sentenced to Two Years for His Faith

Mr. Hu Lin and Mr. Pan Youfa from Shenyang, Liaoning Province Arrested and Tortured

Related report in Chinese: