Arrested for Sending Group Text Messages; Mother Passes Away

Police in Sanhe City broke into Dr. Kang Jingtai’s clinic and arrested him and his wife, Ms. Fang Chunyan, on the afternoon of April 22, 2014. They confiscated three computers, over half a dozen cellphones, Dafa books, a car and other personal belongings.

Ms. Fang was released the following day, but Dr. Kang, 43, is still being held at the Sanhe Detention Center.

Upon hearing of his arrest, Dr. Kang's mother became very distressed and passed away on May 2, 2014. His father had recently passed away.

Dr. Kang was one of four practitioners arrested in late April for sending group text messages about Falun Gong and the persecution. After his arrest, he developed high blood pressure and was in such poor health that officials at the detention center initially refused to accept him, until the head of the local 610 Office Guo Lichen ordered that they take him.

Sentenced to Labor Camp and Denied Medical Parole

In October 2000, Dr. Kang was arrested on his way to Beijing when he tried to appeal for Falun Gong. He was taken to the Nancheng Police Station. The deputy director at the Sanhe Chinese Medicine Hospital where he worked at the time later brought him back, but he wasn't allow to work or go home for two weeks.

Dr. Kang was arrested in November 2000 when he was seen meeting with other practitioners. He was sentenced to two years in a forced labor camp. He was held at Sanhe Detention Center for over a month, before being transferred to the Wanzhuang Forced Labor Camp in Langfang City.

Guards at the labor camp forced Dr. Kang to do hard labor and only allowed him to sleep for one hour a day. Under the prolonged physical and mental stress, his health deteriorated. He had symptoms of anemia, accelerated heart rate, fatigue and was unable to eat. His family members requested that he be released on medical parole, but the head of the guards Guo Shengli denied their request because they didn't give him any money.

After Dr. Kang was released, the police continued to harass him and his family. He was eventually forced to leave his home to avoid further persecution and had to find a job in another city.

Family Detained and Harassed

The police detained Dr. Kang's wife and father in February 2003 after they refused to tell them of Dr. Kang's whereabouts. The police also ransacked his three sisters' homes and threatened to send two of them to forced labor camps and make their husbands lose their jobs. Dr. Kang's sisters all practice Falun Gong. Under extreme pressure, his family members told the police his work address. He was soon arrested and taken to the Sanhe Detention Center.

During Dr. Kang’s detention, his family was forced to pay Zhang Shangling, the deputy director of Sanhe Police Department, and Tian Jinyue, director of the Nancheng Police Station, 5,000 yuan each.

Dr. Kang was transferred to the Langfang Brainwashing Center, where he was deprived of sleep and forced to watch videos slandering Falun Gong. Chinese Communist Party officials also threatened to send him and his family members to prison and have them fired from their jobs.

When Dr. Kang was released in April 2003, he was forced to work at the hospital when the SARS epidemic spread throughout China. He was paid only 400 yuan per month for his living expenses.

Persecuted at Work

Since the persecution began in 1999, hospital officials have actively cooperated with the police in persecuting Dr. Kang.

When Dr. Kang went to Beijing to appeal for the right to practice Falun Gong in 1999, he was arrested at Tiananmen Square and taken back to the Sanhe Detention Center. After his release, he was closely monitored at work. He and other practitioners who worked at the hospital were required to report to the management there on sensitive dates.

Dr. Kang used to be a physician at the Sanhe Chinese Medicine Hospital, but later opened his own clinic. He has been repeatedly persecuted since 1999 for adhering to his belief in Falun Gong.

Parties Involved in Persecuting Dr. Kang:Fu Lijun (付立军), director of Sanhe Police Department: +86-316-3210188 (Office), +86-316-8335999 (Home), +86-13931680999 (Cell)Guo Lichen (国立臣), director of the local 610 Office: +86-13603260114 (Cell), +86-15831606988, +86-316-3175808 (Office)Shi Liandong (石连东), head of the local Domestic Security Division: +86-316-3115636 (Home), +86-13832669588 (Cell)Xin Jun (辛军), director of Dongcheng Police Station: +86-13731636163 (Cell)

Earlier report:Four Practitioners Arrested for Sending Group Text Messageshttp://en.minghui.org/html/articles/2014/5/9/605.html