(Minghui.org) Following her most recent arrest in Shanghai on May 13, 2013, Ms. Yang Yaping, a 49-year-old Falun Gong practitioner from Jiangsu Province, became severely ill. She was unable to hold down any food or water. The detention center authorities released her on medical parole in August 2013. However, Shanghai authorities have continued to harass her.

After Ms. Yang's release, she went to stay at her sister's house in Funing County, Jiangsu Province, to recover. Soon after she got there, agents from Jiangsu Provincial 610 Office, Yancheng City 610 Office, and Funing County 610 Office showed up at her sister's house repeatedly.

The provincial 610 Office instructed the Funing 610 Office staff to set up a special brainwashing session in the Dahan Hotel in October 2013 to "transform" Ms. Yang. Ms. Yang refused to renounce her belief in Falun Gong.

In December 2013 when Ms. Yang was still recovering, the Minhang District Procuratorate in Shanghai called her family and said that Ms. Yang had to go to the Procuratorate to verify documents. Ms. Yang did not comply.

The Minhang District Court in Shanghai called her on February 17, 2014, and told her to go to the court to verify documents and prepare for an upcoming trial.

Most Recent Arrest

Ms. Yang went to Shanghai in 2011 and worked as a housekeeper. She was reported by a community security guard and arrested by the local police on May 13, 2013, as she was handing out discs containing information about Falun Gong. She was taken to the Tianyuanxincun Police Station in the Minhang District.

Eight police officers subsequently forced her to undergo a physical exam at the Minhang District Central Hospital, including blood tests, chest X-ray, and ultrasounds. She was admitted to the Fengxian District Detention Center in the evening.

According to the Minhang District Domestic Security Division, more than 10,000 discs about Falun Gong, a printer, a CD burner, a computer, and a cell phone were found at Ms. Yang's temporary residence, so her case was deemed “major.”

Five days after Ms. Yang was arrested, Li Dongsheng, former director of the state 610 Office, flew from Beijing to Shanghai to participate. He said that the case was a “a major break” and rewarded the police officers involved. He threatened to sentence Ms. Yang to a minimum of 15 years in prison.

Severe Health Problems Following Most Recent Arrest

Ms. Yang had problems eating after being detained for two weeks. She could not hold down any food or water and wasn't able to walk or take care of herself after about three months of detention. However, the staff at the detention center ignored the problem until she had lost more than 30 pounds. Ms. Yang was finally taken to the Nanhui Prison Hospital in Shanghai on August 13, 2013.

The following evening, a doctor gave Ms. Yang an unidentified drug. Ms. Yang felt numbness and started feeling terrible within 20 minutes of taking the medication, but nobody responded to her questions. Two hours later, another doctor gave Ms. Yang a different drug. Her numbness gradually went away, and she fell asleep.

In the meantime, an officer with the Minhang District Domestic Security Division called Ms. Yang's sister to demand to use the deed to her home as a guaranty for Ms. Yang. After she agreed, Ms. Yang was released on medical parole on August 15 and taken back to her sister's house in Funing County.

Repeatedly Arrested and Tortured

Since the persecution of Falun Gong began in July 1999, Ms. Yang has been targeted by the local 610 Office and Domestic Security Division. She has repeatedly been monitored closely by the authorities. She was fined and her personal belongings were confiscated.

Ms. Yang has been arrested and detained many times since 1999. She was subjected to extended detention six times. She was forcibly given unidentified drugs twice at a mental hospital, subjected to forced brainwashing once, sentenced to three years in a forced labor camp, and sentenced to three years of imprisonment (the execution of the sentence was postponed).

Ms. Yang was arrested from home on September 14, 2007, by officers from the Funing 610 Office, Funing Domestic Security Division, Yancheng 610 Office, and Dongfeng Police Station, led by Wang Hua with the Funing Domestic Security Division. She was given unidentified drugs at a mental hospital, and she became bedridden after being taken to a detention center.

Ms. Yang's family took her home to help her recover. Despite her poor health, the Funing Court sentenced her to three years of imprisonment in 2008 (the execution of the sentence was postponed for four years).

Impact of Persecution on Her Family

Ms. Yang used to be part of a big, happy family, but life has changed significantly for her family members since the persecution began in July 1999. They have been placed under a great deal of pressure. Ms. Yang had to leave her home and move from place to place to avoid further persecution. Her elderly parents and family members are worried sick about her wellbeing.

Ms. Yang's sister was pressured to turn in the deed to her house and sign several blank documents to secure Ms. Yang's release. Now her family's home and wellbeing are in jeopardy.

Benefiting from Practicing Falun Gong

Ms. Yang has been following the principles of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance since she began to practice Falun Gong in 1997. She and her stepmother had a rocky relationship since she was young, but Ms. Yang changed her perspective after practicing Falun Gong. She reconciled with her stepmother and invited her to move in with her own family. Ms. Yang is also well respected in her village for supporting her extended family's children through school and for her integrity.

Related article: Falun Gong Practitioners Persecuted in Funing County, Jiangsu Province