Summary of Key Persecution Facts:
Gu Jiushou (谷九寿)


Address: Unknown
Chongqing University Retired Engineer

Date of Most Recent Arrest:
July 14, 2013

Most Recent Place of Detention:
Qianzhugou Brainwashing Center (千竹沟洗脑班)
City: Chongqing
Persecution Suffered:
Sleep deprivation, brainwashing, illegal sentencing, beatings, imprisonment, solitary confinement, torture, physical restraint, detention, denial of restroom use, starvation

Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Gu Jiushou, a retired engineer from Chongqing University, was arrested on the morning of July 14, 2013. He is believed to have been sent to Qianzhugou Brainwashing Center.

While telling people about Falun Gong and handing out Shen Yun DVDs in a farmers' market in Shapingba District, 74-year-old Mr. Gu was reported to the small vendor control team. Several tough guys rushed to the site and violently beat him. Mr. Gu was so badly beaten that he became incontinent and suffered sharp back pain.

After the beating, the officers from Shijingpo Police Station took the badly injured man to the police station. They later transferred him to Qianzhugou Brainwashing Center located in Gele Mountain. Liu Deming of Shapingba Street Office signed the paperwork.

Qianzhugou Brainwashing Center is a facility designated to forcing Falun Gong practitioners to renounce their faith. It is under the Shapingba District 610 Office. It is now directly under the orders of the Chongqing City 610 Office. The facility contains many small cells equipped with steel doors and windows, and they are very hot in the summer. Many Falun Gong practitioners have been persecuted here, subjected to physical and psychological tortures. Mr. Gu Jiushou’s family demanded an immediate release.

Mr. Gu Suffered from Persecution during the Past 14 Years

In the past 14 years since the Communist regime began its persecution of Falun Gong, Mr. Gu had been repeatedly detained. He served three forced labor sentences, while two sentences were served in a labor camp that accumulated to four and half years. He was also sent to brainwashing centers twice.

Mr. Gu went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong on June 18, 2000. He was arrested and then sent back to his hometown. Later he served one year of hard labor in Xishanping Labor Camp of Chongqing. At the end of May 2001, during a “transformation campaign” at the labor camp, he was deprived of sleep for several days with his arms bound with thin ropes for hours. His sentence was extended by six months.

On May 9, 2003, Mr. Gu was arrested at home by the police and sent to serve a three-year forced labor term. While he was in the labor camp, he announced that the “Three Statements,” which he signed under pressure, was invalid. As punishment, he was sent to a “strictly controlled” group. He was denied sufficient food and water and forced to sit on a small stool for hours causing his buttocks to develop bloody ulcerations. He was also barred from washing his blood-stained underwear during the hot summer. Under the guards’ watch, criminal inmate Liu Dajiang beat his head with steel clothes hangers causing bloody cuts. Another criminal Zhang Yi used bamboo rods to beat his ankles, and he also used toothpicks to stab Mr. Gu's injuries. In order to keep him awake, a third criminal Liu Wenzheng continuously beat Mr. Gu's forehead. Mr. Gu nearly went blind and it took him a month to recover his vision.

On May 27, 2009, while passing out Falun Gong informational flyers to people on the street, Mr. Gu was arrested by officers from Yubei Road Police Station in Shapingba District. However, he was fortunate to get out the same night.

In September 2009, Mr. Gu was sentenced to one year of forced labor, but served it outside of the labor camp as probation.

On August 8, 2011, he was again followed by the police and later sent to Gele Mountain Brainwashing Center. His back was badly injured and he had difficulty moving around the brainwashing center. He had to rely on others to hold him up in a sitting position when he ate.