(Clearwisdom.net) Mr. Xie Wutang and his wife Tan Xiangyu are Falun Gong practitioners who live in the dormitory of the China Railway 12th Bureau Group in Jingwanzi, Tianxin District, Changsha City, Hunan Province. On the afternoon of July 14, 2007, the police from Tianxin Precinct abruptly arrested both Mr. and Mrs. Xie Wutang and ransacked their home. The news enraged their neighbors, friends and relatives. No one can remember how many times this kindhearted elderly couple has been subjected to the Chinese Communist Party's (CCP) persecution. The elderly couple did not commit any crime to justify the unlawful arrest. The only reason is that Mr. and Mrs. Xie Wutang persevere in their belief in Falun Gong.

Overcoming Illness Because of Falun Gong

Mr. Xie Wutang is 67 years old and his wife Tan Xiangyu is 60 years old this year. They reside in Tianxin District, Changsha City, Hunan Province. Before they started practicing Falun Gong, they were both tormented by ailments. Mr. Xie used to suffer from cerebral arteriosclerosis, hypertension, lumbar intervertebral disc herniation, stomach disease and rheumatoid arthritis. According to Mr. Xie, the agony made him feel he would be better off dead sometimes. Mrs. Xie also suffered from several different ailments, including lower back pain, rheumatoid arthritis, bronchitis and pulmonary emphysema. The latter two illnesses tormented her for more than a decade and failed to improve despite medical treatment.

In 1996, Mr. and Mrs.Wutang both started to practice Falun Gong. In less than three months, all of their ailments disappeared miraculously. They used to file reimbursement claims for medical expenses of several thousand yuan every year. After they started to practice Falun Gong, they have become perfectly healthy and no longer need to spend any money for medical treatment. They follow Falun Gong's teaching and conduct themselves according to Falun Gong's principles of Truthfulness, Compassion, Tolerance. They try to become better people and treat their family members with kindness as well as make contributions to society. When conflicts arise, they try to search inward and identify their attachments. As a result, Mrs. Xie dissolved conflicts with her mother-in-law and gets along with her very well. Mr. and Mrs. Xie have become better neighbors. After witnessing the transformation of Mr. and Mrs. Xie, their son, daughter, and daughter-in-law decided to practice Falun Gong as well.

Persevering in Their Faith in Falun Gong for Eight Years Despite the CCP's Suppression

When Jiang Zemin began his personal vendetta against Falun Gong on July 20, 1999, this elderly couple's peaceful life was completely ruined.

At around 2:00 a.m. on July 21, 1999, the police from Tianxin Precinct broke in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Xie Wutang and unlawfully arrested the elderly couple. The police had Mrs. Wu incarcerated in the No.1 Detention Center in Zuojiatang, Changsha City where she was monitored at all times. The police did not release her until they extorted 4,560 "yuan" from her after 38 days of incarceration. As for Mr. Wu, he was unlawfully detained for 22 days under the charge of "disturbing the peace" because he exercised his constitutional right to visit the Hunan Provincial government's Appeals Office and share with the office his experience of practicing Falun Gong.

After Mr. and Mrs. Xie were released, the Police Station on Xueyuan Street, the neighborhood administration office, and residence committee frequently sent people to harass them at their home and try to force them to renounce and slander Falun Gong in writing. They also attempted to make the couple guarantee in writing to give up practicing Falun Gong.

Finally Mr. and Mrs. Xie decided to leave their comfortable home in Changsha City because they refused to act against their conscience and renounce Falun Gong. While they were away from home, they had to endure the agony of being separated from their family and relatives. In addition, they were forced to live as fugitives with limited means, vigilant of the 610 Office's constant hunt for them. The elderly couple tasted all the bitterness and tribulations of life.

In 2001, the elderly couple took the risk to return home to their family for the Chinese New Year family reunion. However, a policeman named You Huji cajoled Mr. Xie out of his home and unlawfully arrested him. Mr. Xie was thrown into Xinkaipu Forced Labor Camp in Hunan Province the next day.

Shortly afterwards, Mrs. Xie was unlawfully sent to Baimalong Women's Forced Labor Camp in March 2001. In the camps, the elderly couple was subjected to forced labor, forced brainwashing and other types of physical and psychological torment. As a result, Mr. Xie Wutang developed hypertension again and had a stroke that debilitated one side of his body. Mrs. Xie developed TB and pleural effusion. Mrs. Xie was already moribund by the time the camp notified her family to take her home.

Shortly after the couple restored their health, the police went to their home again to harass them. The elderly couple had no choice but to flee from home and become homeless again in order to avoid further harassment.

In August 2003, Mrs. Xie was doing grocery shopping in Youyi Shopping Center in Changsha when a policeman named Fu Shengwen from the Political and Security Division of Tianxin District Branch of Changsha City Public Security Bureau came with a team of policemen to arrest her. In April 2004, Mrs. Xie was sentenced to three-and-a half years in prison on false charges. In November 2004, she was sent to Hunan Province Women's Prison, which is notorious for its brutality and torture of incarcerated Falun Gong practitioners. For over five months, Mrs. Xie was forced to work from 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. or 3:00 a.m. the next day, every day. Due to the perpetual psychological torment and slavery, Mrs. Xie's health was soon in serious jeopardy.

In August 2005, Mrs. Xie already suffered from lung perforation by the time she was transferred to the Hunan Prison Headquarters Hospital in Changdejin City. In fact, her health took a turn for the worse after the transfer. She couldn't walk; her legs were swollen; her liver was severely dysfunctional; her body turned jaundice; and she coughed up blood, and she couldn't eat. The hospital took a blood sample every day. Her liver was failing almost completely and her life was in critical danger. It was only because of her family's persistent demand that she was put on bail. Unfortunately, the elderly couple have now both been arrested again.

We urge all kindhearted people to turn your attention to China's persecution of Falun Gong. Please extend your help to stop the persecution and rescue Mr. and Mrs. Xie Wutang.

Ou Yike (male), Police Chief of Tianxin District Branch of the Public Security Bureau: 86-731-5175688
Liao Jian (male), Chairman of Political Committee at Tianxin District Branch of the Public Security Bureau: 86-731-5175678