Name: Liu DianyuanChinese Name: 刘殿元Gender: MaleAge: 86City: ChaoyangProvince: LiaoningOccupation: Construction contractorDate of Death: February 10, 2024Date of Most Recent Arrest: November 9, 2015Most Recent Place of Detention: Shenyang City First Prison

A Chaoyang City, Liaoning Province, man was sentenced to 11.5 years in 2016 at the age of 78 for practicing Falun Gong. Despite Mr. Liu Dianyuan’s extremely poor physical condition, the prison still accepted him. His condition continued to decline over the years. He passed away on February 10, 2024, Chinese New Year’s Day. He was 86.

Mr. Liu Dianyuan

Mr. Liu was arrested on November 9, 2015, at his sister’s home and taken to the Jianping County Detention Center. In order to frame him, Jiang Jie, head of the Jianping County Domestic Security Office, fabricated evidence claiming that the house where Mr. Liu was arrested was full of Falun Gong books and materials.

When Mr. Liu appeared in the Jianping County Court five months later on April 7, 2016, the once healthy and mentally sharp man was emaciated and struggled with poor memory. Presiding judge Li Yan handed down a heavy term of 11.5 years. Mr. Liu would have been almost 90 years old by the time he finished serving time.

Even though Mr. Liu wasn’t qualified to be admitted to prison given his poor health, the Shenyang City First Prison still accepted him when the bailiff took him there on June 14, 2016.

It’s not clear whether Mr. Liu’s family were allowed to visit him after his prison admission. In September 2022, the guards called his family and told them to buy him diapers. His family later found out that Mr. Liu, then 84, was already incapacitated. But the prison refused to release him for medical treatment.

Mr. Liu’s family received a call from the prison on February 11, 2024, the second day of the 2024 Chinese New Year, were told that he had passed away the day before. His body is now in the Shenyang Funeral Home.

Past Persecution

Mr. Liu started to practice Falun Gong in 1995. He credited the practice for enabling him to recover from sciatica, gastric and duodenal ulcers, and chronic hepatitis, which he developed due to his stressful work as a construction contractor.

After the persecution began in 1999, Mr. Liu faced constant persecution for upholding his faith. His first arrest was in September 1999, when he was seized at home by Xiaochengzi Police Station officers. He held a hunger strike to protest the persecution and was released seven days later.

The police broke into Mr. Liu’s home again on June 14, 2000. They arrested him “so that he wouldn’t go to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong” and detained him for 60 days.

Mr. Liu’s third arrest was on July 31, 2001. Liu Junchen, head of of the Xiaochengzi Police Station, Fu Yanling, the head of Lingyuan City Domestic Security Office, and Liu Xingli, director of the Ningcheng County Police Station in Inner Mongolia, were responsible. It’s not clear why the police in Inner Mongolia were involved in his arrest.

At the age of 65, Mr. Liu was sentenced to seven years and served time at the Chifeng No.4 Prison in Inner Mongolia. He was forced to work for more than ten hours a day without pay. The guards also held him at the psychiatric ward in the prison hospital for ten months. He was forced to take large amounts of unknown drugs every day. By the time he was released, he was barely skin and bones. He was unable to stand up straight and kept coughing up pus and blood. He was so weak that it was even difficult for him to speak one complete sentence.

After he returned home, Mr. Liu resumed practicing Falun Gong. Miraculously, he recovered two months later and was able to work on his family farm again.

Only two years after his release, he was arrested again by Chen Zhi with the Lingyuan City Domestic Security Office and Xingyuan Police Station officers on October 12, 2010. Due to his poor health, the detention center refused to admit him and he was released on bail. Yet the police still submitted his case to the procuratorate, resulting in a 4.5-year prison sentence. To avoid going to prison, Mr. Liu, then 73, was forced to live away from home and hide from the police. During the time he was away, his house collapsed and his over 100 fruit trees were left unattended.

While he was displaced, Mr. Liu was hit by an electric bike in July 2015 and suffered injuries to his back, spine, and left calf. Even though he was destitute, he didn’t seek compensation from the driver. He resorted to practicing Falun Gong to recover and was back on his feet in a month. He was arrested in November 2015 and eventually died in prison while serving the lengthy term.

Related Report:

86-year-old Man Serving 11.5 Years Becomes Incapacitated, Wife Files Complaints Against Perpetrators and Demands His Release