Name: Chen GuohuaChinese Name: 陈国华Gender: FemaleAge: 54City: DongyingProvince: ShandongOccupation: retired oilfield workerDate of Death: December 11, 2023Date of Most Recent Arrest: April 23, 2021Most Recent Place of Detention: Binhai Police Department

Ms. Chen Guohua

Five police officers broke into Ms. Chen Guohua’s home at around 6:30 a.m. on November 29, 2023 and searched her place, targeting her faith in Falun Gong, a mind-body practice that has been persecuted by the Chinese Communist Party since July 1999.

Her family said she had a doctor’s appointment that morning, and the police followed them to the hospital. She was diagnosed with late-stage metastatic liver cancer, and only then did the police give up their attempt to arrest her. They still threatened to come back for her after she recovered.

Ms. Chen had been suffering from quickly declining health since October 2023. She was unable to eat and could only sleep one or two hours each night with the help of painkillers. Her conditions dramatically worsened after the police raid and she died on December 11, 2023, at the age of 54.

Ms. Chen was a retired worker from Shengli Oilfield in Dongying City, Shandong Province. She was diagnosed with colon cancer in late 2015, and began to practice Falun Gong in 2016. She soon gained back the weight she had lost due to the cancer, and had a rosy complexion again. Her family found joy in life again given her miraculous recovery. She also seized every opportunity to share her story with people and remind them that Falun Gong was nothing like what was depicted in the communist regime’s hate propaganda.

The Dongying City Police Department and the Binhai Police Department in Shengli Oilfield conducted a mass arrest of local Falun Gong practitioners on the morning of April 23, 2021. Ms. Chen was seized after a police woman from the Binhai Police Department tricked her into opening the door by claiming to be from the property management office. Four or five officers barged in and confiscated her Falun Gong books and portrait of Falun Gong’s founder.

Ms. Chen was interrogated for 24 hours straight at the Binhai Police Department and ordered to reveal the identies of other practitioners. Because of lack of evidence against her, she was released on a one-year bail after a day of detention. Her ID and passport were withheld by the police, who threatened to get her indicted at any time.

As a relatively new Falun Gong practitioner, Ms. Chen felt tremendous pressure, and did not dare to step out of her door much for fear of being arrested again. Even when she did go out, she felt she was being followed by people. In October 2023, she suddenly started feeling pain and discomfort in her body. Five officers from the Binhai Police Department, however, still attempted to arrest her on November 29, 2023, resulting in her death 12 days later.