(Minghui.org) A 59-year-old Beijing woman, whose leg was amputated as a result of bone cancer, was sentenced to two years for her faith in Falun Gong, a mind-body practice that has been persecuted by the Chinese Communist Party since July 1999. 

Ms. Liu Boxin is currently held at the Haidian District Detention Center in Beijing. Her prison sentence stemmed from a brief detention at the same facility following her arrest in July 1, 2022 after being reported for distributing Falun Gong informational materials. 

While she was soon released, Ms. Liu was arrested again on July 14, 2022. Several officers from the Sujiatuo Police Station broke into her home at 6 a.m. that day and confiscated her Falun Gong books, computer, printer, and more than 10,000 yuan in cash. 

Due to health reasons, Ms. Liu was soon released on bail, only to be arrested at home on August 25, 2022. The police then released her on bail around midnight that same day.

The Haidian District Procuratorate summoned Ms. Liu for a deposition in November 2022. The Haidian District Court initially scheduled a hearing for February 16, 2023 but later postponed it to March 23. She was sentenced to two years on August 29 and taken back into custody soon after.

Five Prior Arrests

Ms. Liu took up Falun Gong in 1997 and became healthier and stronger. She was able to do household chores again and get along well with her family members. After the persecution began two years later, she held firm to her faith and was repeatedly targeted.

She was walking on Tiananmen Square one day in September 1999, when she was stopped by a patrol officer. He asked if she practiced Falun Gong and she said yes. He then took her to a detention center, where the guards removed her prosthetic leg and didn’t return it to her until she was released one month later.

Ms. Liu was arrested again in December 1999, when she went to the State Council’s Appeals Office to seek justice for Falun Gong. She was detained for 15 days.

Several days before the 2001 Chinese New Year (on January 24), officers broke into Ms. Liu’s home and asked if she still practiced Falun Gong. She said yes and they immediately grabbed her. They dragged her across the snowy ground for about 100 yards to their cruiser. Her then-four-year-old daughter cried “Mom!” behind her. She was detained for 32 days at the local police station.

In June 2008 (two months before the 2008 Olympic Games), Ms. Liu was arrested again at home. After 35 days of detention at the local police station, she was given two years of forced labor. Because of her disability, she was allowed to serve her term at home.

Several officers broke into Ms. Liu’s home on September 24, 2013 and confiscated her Falun Gong books, printer, computer, paper cutter, and other personal items. She was detained for 30 days.