(Minghui.org) July 20, 2023, marks the 24th year since the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) began to suppress Falun Gong. Falun Gong practitioners in 44 countries submitted another list of perpetrators to their respective governments, urging them to hold these individuals accountable for the persecution of Falun Gong in China. The practitioners asked their governments to bar the perpetrators and their family members from entry and to freeze their overseas assets.

Among the perpetrators listed was Ye Hanbing, lieutenant governor of Sichuan Province.

Perpetrator Information

Full Name of Perpetrator: Ye (last name) Hanbing (first name) (叶寒冰)Gender: MaleCountry: ChinaDate/year of Birth: October 1965Place of Birth: Sanmen County, Zhejiang Province

Title or Position

June 2014 – January 2018: deputy director of the Zhejiang Provincial Public Security Department, deputy secretary of the Hangzhou Municipal Law Committee of the Chinese Communist Party, secretary of the Party Committee, director and chief inspector of the Hangzhou Public Security Bureau

January 2018 – May 2018: lieutenant governor of Sichuan Province, director of the Provincial Public Security Department, and secretary of the Party Committee

May 2018 – Present: lieutenant governor of Sichuan Province, member of the Party Leadership Group, director of the Provincial Public Security Department, secretary of the Party Committee, and deputy secretary of the provincial Political and Legal Affairs Committee

Main Crimes

Sichuan Province has seen some of the most severe and brutal persecution of Falun Gong since its onset in July 1999. Among the 4,973 death cases confirmed as of August 4, 2023, the 319 deceased practitioners in Sichuan ranked the sixth highest in the country.

Since Ye Hanbing took the helm as director of the Sichuan Provincial Public Security Department in May 2018, he actively implemented the persecution policy. In his capacities as deputy governor and secretary of the Political and Legal Affairs Committee, he has overseen and directed the activities at all levels of public security, procuratorate, and legal departments in persecuting the practitioners. Notably, his many public addresses have included slander against Falun Gong and calls to “intensify anti-cult efforts.”

During Ye’s tenure from 2018 to April 2023, at least 44 Falun Gong practitioners in Sichuan died from the persecution. Many more became injured due to the torture and abuse.

Persecution in Sichuan Province

In 2018, at least two practitioners died in the persecution, 67 were sentenced, and 270 were arrested. Most practitioners’ homes were ransacked, and their properties were confiscated.

In 2019, nine practitioners died in the persecution, 51 were sentenced, and 530 were arrested. A total of 480,000 yuan in cash were confiscated from the practitioners’ homes.

In 2020, the deaths of three practitioners were recorded, as well as 76 sentencing cases, 348 arrests, and 788 harassment incidents.

In 2021, eight practitioners lost their lives due to persecution, 512 were arrested, and 1,083 were harassed. The number of arrested and harassed practitioners was the third highest in the country. When a police officer ordered a practitioner to renounce Falun Gong during the “Zero-out” campaign, he threatened the practitioner, “If you don’t sign it while you’re alive, you’ll sign when you die. You will have to sign it at least three times.” Some practitioners reported being harassed over thirty times.

In 2022, the death of 16 practitioners was reported. Another 38 practitioners were sentenced, 275 were arrested, and 519 were harassed. Forty other practitioners were held in brainwashing centers.

For the first four months of 2023, at least six practitioners were persecuted to death in Sichuan Province. Furthermore, 27 were sentenced, 71 were arrested, and 84 were harassed.

Select Death Cases

Case 1: 30-year-old Former Radio Host Beaten to Death in Prison

A 30-year-old former host of the Sichuan People’s Radio Station was beaten to death on December 2, 2022, while serving a five-year term in Jiazhou Prison, Sichuan Province.

Mr. Pang Xun

Mr. Pang Xun’s body was covered in bruises from the beating and had marks from electric shocks and being tied up tightly with rope. He had also become incontinent due to the torture. The prison denied having tortured Mr. Pang and claimed that he died of hyperthyroidism.

Mr. Pang was arrested on July 27, 2020, for distributing Falun Gong materials, and later sentenced to five years in Jiazhou Prison.

Mr. Pang Xun was covered with bruises when he died.

Case 2: Sichuan Woman Dies Eight Months After Release from Prison in a Vegetative State

Ms. Liao Guanghui was in a vegetative state by the time she was released on July 20, 2022, after serving a three-year prison term for practicing Falun Gong. The Mianyang City, Sichuan Province, resident died eight months later on March 23, 2023. She was 70 years old.

Ms. Liao took a fall on March 10, 2021, while incarcerated in the Sichuan Province Women’s Prison. The prison denied her family’s request to release her on medical parole and held her in custody until the end of her term, despite the fact that she remained in a coma after the fall.

Because the prison hospital didn’t properly fix her skull during the craniotomy, there was a large sunken area on the right side of her head. She also had a suction tube in her throat, a feeding tube in her nose, and a urinary catheter. Her entire body was stiff.

Ms. Liao Guanghui in a coma.

Case 3: Sichuan Woman Dies While Serving Five Years

Six months after Ms. Qing Liju was sentenced to five years for her faith in Falun Gong, the once healthy 51-year-old Pengzhou City, Sichuan Province resident died.

Ms. Qing was arrested on March 9, 2021, while distributing Falun Gong informational materials. The arrest came only two years after Ms. Qing was released from serving ten years for her faith.

Since Ms. Qing’s arrest, the authorities prohibited her family from visiting her. They were only allowed to deliver clothes to her twice. Later, the detention center also forbade them from delivering any clothes, citing the pandemic as an excuse. The Pengzhou Court sentenced Ms. Qing to five years at the Qionglai Prison on June 21, 2022.

On October 1, Ms. Qing’s family received a call from the prison, telling them that she was in serious condition. The family went to the prison that same day and was allowed to have a video chat with her. But when they applied for medical parole for her, the prison refused their application.

Two weeks later on October 14, the prison called them and said that Ms. Qing had been hospitalized. The family went to the prison hospital on October 16 and had another video chat with her. By then, she had become extremely weak and her legs had become severely swollen. The family demanded medical parole for her again, yet the prison still refused.

The family had another video chat with Ms. Qing weeks later and her condition was even worse. When the family made one more request to see her in mid-November, the prison refused again, citing the pandemic lockdown as an excuse.

The last call the family received from the prison was on December 11 and they were told that Ms. Qing was undergoing emergency treatment in the hospital. When they rushed to the hospital, Ms. Qing had already passed away. The doctor told them that when Ms. Qing was transferred from the Zhengcheng Hospital in the morning, she had already stopped breathing.

Case 4: Accountant Dies While Serving 11.5 Years

While in a detention center awaiting the results of her appeal of an 11.5-year prison sentence, Ms. Mao Kun, an accountant in Chengdu City, Sichuan Province, was taken to a hospital emergency room around April 9, 2021. Her family was asked to apply for medical parole on her behalf. But before they even got a chance to submit the application, Ms. Mao passed away in the hospital on the evening of April 11. She was 57. Her family suspects that torture may have been responsible for her sudden death.

Ms. Mao Kun

Ms. Mao was arrested at home on July 10, 2019. Her arm was broken and her face was bruised during the violent arrest. Dozens of officers ransacked Ms. Mao’s home from 4 p.m. the day of the arrest until 2 a.m. the next day. Many personal belongings and informational materials about Falun Gong were confiscated. Ms. Mao’s parents, in their 80s and who lived with her, were terrified by the police raid. They wept in the hallway while the police were ransacking their home.

Ms. Mao stood trial on December 28, 2020, and was later sentenced to 11.5 years with a 20,000 yuan fine.

Case 5: Kind Woman Dies Three Months After Prison Admission

Ms. Ding Guoqin, of Luzhou City, Sichuan Province, was arrested on October 16, 2017. She was sentenced to two years and six months and taken to the Chengdu Women’s Prison on August 22, 2018. When her sons and daughters visited her in the prison for the first time, they saw that their mother was unable to move her hands or feet and had been carried into the visitation room by inmates. They learned that she had been tortured into quadriplegia after being in prison for less than three months. Within a few days, her family received a notice from the prison that Ms. Ding was critically ill and had been sent to the prison hospital. She passed away in the prison hospital on May 21, 2019, at the age of 69.

Case 6: Woman in Her 50s Dies Three Days After Being Arrested for Practicing Falun Gong

Ms. Huang Sulan, of Chengdu, Sichuan Province, was arrested outside of her apartment building on January 20, 2022, and was held at a secret detention facility in Pengzhou.

The police covered her head with a black hood and took her to Room 416 at Yunduan Hotel in Chengdu. She was handcuffed and shackled. Two people monitored her around the clock.

The police continued to interrogate Ms. Huang for the next two days on January 22 and 23. On the evening of January 23, people in the room nearby heard that Ms. Huang was being beaten and there was the sound of chairs being dragged around. Ms. Huang was taken to the hospital around midnight and pronounced dead. The police informed her family to take her body from the funeral home on the afternoon of January 24.

Case 7: Woman Dies on the Same Day of Her Arrest

Ms. Liu Suzhen of Chengdu City was arrested by officers from the Huangwa Street Police Station on December 24, 2018, when she was distributing Falun Gong flyers in Kuanzhai Alley. She died at the police station.

Officers from the Huangwa Street Police Station told Ms. Liu’s family that she suddenly collapsed and died. Her family member was shocked to learn that Ms. Liu was dead when he came to the police station. He asked to review the videotape. The officers showed him, but he did not know if it had been edited or not. When the officers threatened him he dared not ask more questions.

Notable Persecution Cases

Case 1: Chengdu Man Beaten at a Hotel-turned Detention Site, Incurred Injuries in His Leg and Gallbladder

Mr. Liu Jia, a 53-year-old resident in Chengdu City, Sichuan Province, suffered fractures in his left leg and inflammation of the gallbladder, after being beaten by the police for practicing Falun Gong. He was operated on and had his gallbladder removed.

After Mr. Liu’s arrest on January 6, 2022, the police brought him to the fourth floor of the “Urban Cloud Hotel” in nearby Pengzhou. There was a surveillance camera in the room. All of the windows were covered and no light came in. Several people took turns monitoring him.

As Mr. Liu refused to tell the police the password to his cellphones, they took him to a room without a surveillance camera and beat him, causing a fracture to his left leg and inflammation of his gallbladder. He was then taken to the hospital to have his gallbladder removed.

Mr. Liu was kept in the hotel for 18 days. With his lawyer’s intervention, the police transferred him to the Pengzhou City Detention Center on January 24. When he was admitted, both of his legs were severely swollen and he was unable to stand or walk on his own. There was also swelling on his right knee.

Case 2: Mass Arrests in 2019

At least 214 practitioners were arrested between July and September 2019. Just between July 5 and 18, 2019, 64 practitioners in seven cities were arrested. Most of the arrests in each city took place in one day, which was likely to have been orchestrated and coordinated by the entire Sichuan Province police force.

Case 3: 80-year-old Man Sentenced to 8.5 Years

Mr. Xiao Dafu, an 80-year-old Dazhou City, Sichuan Province, resident, was arrested at home on October 16, 2018. According to people familiar with his case, he was interrogated for extended periods of time on seven occasions. In order to force him to renounce Falun Gong, the police ordered his three children to disown him.

Mr. Xiao appeared in the Dazhou City Court on June 20, 2019. The court didn’t inform his family of the hearing. His lawyer entered a not guilty plea for him and Mr. Xiao also testified in his own defense. The judge sentenced him to 8.5 years a year later on September 30, 2019.