(Minghui.org) A Changchun City, Jilin Province, resident in her 70s was sentenced in June 2022, to three and a half years for practicing Falun Gong. The emaciated woman is struggling with poor health, especially after she accidentally lost her denture last year.

Falun Gong, also known as Falun Dafa, is a spiritual discipline that has been persecuted by the Chinese communist regime since 1999.

Ms. Huang Jingru was arrested in 2021 for appealing the suspension of her pension during an earlier detention and urging the officers to stop participating in the persecution. In July 2021 and February 2022, she held two hunger strikes, for three weeks each time. The guards ordered the detainees to force feed her every day but not give her any water.

Due to the hunger strikes, Ms. Huang remained very weak. Her weight dropped from 50 kg (110 lbs) to 30 kg (66 lbs). She couldn’t keep her balance while walking. Her hands kept shaking and her mouth trembled. It made things worse when she accidentally threw away her denture in October 2021.

The Chaoyang District Court handed down a 3.5-year sentence against Ms. Huang in June 2022. In the same month, she was transferred from the Changchun City No.4 Detention Center to the Weizigou Detention Center and held at the ward for the elderly and sick detainees.

Past Persecution

Ms. Huang used to work at a gold mining company. She suffered from a congenital heart disease, vascular stenosis, and lumbar muscle strain. When she was only in her 40s, she often fainted and struggled to climb the stairs to her home on the fifth floor. Shortly after she took up Falun Gong in 1997, she was delighted to see her diseases go away and she was full of energy.

Ms. Huang went to Beijing to appeal for the right to practice Falun Gong in October 1999, three months after the communist regime ordered the nationwide persecution. She was arrested and given one year at the Heizuizi Women’s Forced Labor Camp in Changchun.

Despite the fact that she was very weak due to the beating, the guards still shocked her with electric batons. She was also tied up in a spread eagle position, stretched in an excruciating position, and forced to do intensive labor. The guards extended her term because she refused to renounce Falun Gong and didn’t release her until she was on the verge of death.

Ms. Huang returned to Beijing to appeal again in the winter of 2001. She was arrested when the police found Falun Gong materials in her purse. She was given two more years of forced labor but was later released due to her poor physical condition.

Ms. Huang went to Beijing for the third time in the summer of 2002. The authorities held her at Heizuizi Women’s Forced Labor Camp for eight months this time. She suffered swelling in her legs and feet when she was released on medical parole.

Ms. Huang was arrested one more time on February 18, 2011, for hanging up a banner with information about Falun Gong outside of a police station. She was given another two years of forced labor. Because she held a hunger strike to protest the persecution, the labor camp refused to admit her and she was released a month later.

Upon returning home, she realized another practitioner hanging up the banner with her was also arrested and given a labor camp term. She frequented the police station to demand that practitioner’s release, only to be arrested and taken back to the labor camp herself. The guards shocked her and beat her with an electric baton. She was released three months later when she was on the verge of death from the beating.

She was arrested again in September 2012 for placing Falun Gong materials on a police car. She was given 15 days of detention but was denied admission by the detention center due to her physical condition. She went to Beijing on December 20, 2012, to mail letters to clarify the facts about Falun Gong and was detained for five months at the Dongcheng Lockup in Beijing.

Related report:

Ms. Huang Jingru on Hunger Strike after Being Arrested for Mailing Letters Exposing the Persecution