Chinese Name: 姜云英Gender: FemaleAge: 78City: DalianProvince: LiaoningOccupation: N/ADate of Death: December 22, 2021Date of Most Recent Arrest: June 28, 2016Most Recent Place of Detention: Yaojia Detention Center

A 78-year-old woman died on December 22, 2021, after living a displaced life for over five years to avoid being arrested for her faith in Falun Gong, a spiritual discipline that has been persecuted by the Chinese communist regime since 1999.

Ms. Jiang Yunying, of Dalian City, Liaoning Province, took up Falun Gong in December 1998. Back then, her husband had suffered for three decades with a heart condition, a lung condition, and trigeminal neuralgia. At first, his employer was able to cover his medical costs. But the company later went bankrupt and he lost his medical insurance.

At the recommendation of a neighbor, Ms. Jiang began to read Falun Gong’s books to her husband. Shortly after, he gradually sat up and was able to read the book himself. By April 1999, he was able to go outdoor to do Falun Gong exercises with other practitioners.

Several officers broke into Ms. Jiang’s home on April 8, 2002, and asked her if she still practiced Falun Gong. She said she did and was taken to the police station. Her Falun Gong books were also confiscated. On June 6, after two months of detention, she was taken to the Masanjia Forced Labor Camp to serve a one-year term.

Ms. Jiang’s husband was terrified by her arrest. Many of his ailments relapsed. Less than a week after she was taken to the labor camp, he passed away.

At the labor camp, Ms. Jiang was monitored by the inmates around the clock. She had to ask for permission when using the restroom. She got up at 4 a.m. and went to bed at 10 p.m. In addition to watching brainwashing videos, she was also forced to do unpaid labor. Some products she worked with gave off toxic substances, rendering her unable to breathe. Sometimes she was deprived of sleep for not renouncing Falun Gong.

The police and residential committee staff members continued to harass her after she was released, causing her family much mental distress.

In 2015, Ms. Jiang filed a criminal complaint against Jiang Zemin, the former head of the communist regime who ordered the persecution. She wrote, “Falun Gong gave my husband a second life. Just as we celebrated his recovery, the government suddenly banned it. I don’t understand what’s wrong with Falun Gong’s teaching people to be good and not fight back when being beaten or cursed at. He didn’t have to go to the hospital for three years and saved us a lot of money. But because of the persecution, he passed away.”

Ms. Jiang was arrested again on June 28, 2016 together with another 30 practitioners. Her computer, printer, Falun Gong materials and photo of Falun Gong’s founder were confiscated.

The police continued to harass her after she was released on bail after spending one month at the Yaojia Detention Center. One officer once asked her what her computer password was. She refused to answer and the police threatened to arrest her.

Fearing further persecution, Ms. Jiang lived away from home since then and escaped an arrest in October 2016. A year later, the authorities suspended her pension.

For over five years, Ms. Jiang relied on local Falun Gong practitioners to get by. Despite the difficulty she was facing, she still tried her best to print and distribute informational materials to raise awareness about the persecution. The displaced life and mental pressure took a toll on her health. She passed away on December 22, 2021, at the age of 78.