(Minghui.org) Since Mr. Mo Qibing, a native of Taojiang County, Hunan Province, started to practice Falun Gong in 2008, he has been given two labor camp terms and sentenced to prison twice for upholding his faith. The total time he was incarcerated added up to seven years and six months.

Mr. Mo was working in Ningbo City, Zhejiang Province before his last arrest in 2017. He was sentenced to 3.5 years in Zhejiang Province No. 2 Prison located in Hangzhou City. After he was released on June 13, 2021, prison guards Sun Hongcheng and Fu Huan turned him over to police in Changsha City, Hunan Province, where his household registration is registered.

A group of agents from Changsha, who had come to Hangzhou to pick him up, tried to drag him to the high speed train going to Changsha, but were unsuccessful.

Mr. Mo insisted on getting his ID, cellphone, and credit cards back from the Hangzhou court that had sentenced him, but the Changsha police ignored him and pushed him into a rented car and drove him back to Changsha, where they threw him into a brainwashing center, which called itself “Caring Center” on its doorplate.

On July 2, 2021, Mr. Mo was released after 18 days of detention at the brainwashing center. He asked to apply for a new ID in Changsha, but was rejected. The police instead drove him back to his hometown in Taojiang County, where he now lives with his father, who has no pension except for an annual 1,300 yuan in disability subsidy. As Mr. Mo has no income, he and his father now struggle to make ends meet.

Arrested Four Days After Finishing First Labor Camp Term

Mr. Mo, an IT professional, learned about the persecution of Falun Gong in 2008 through a software program that helped him circumvent China’s Internet censorship. While he was appalled by the brutality of the persecution that was started by the Chinese communist regime in 1999, he was even more impressed with Falun Gong’s universal principles of “Truthfulness, Compassion, Forbearance.” He thus became a Falun Gong practitioner himself.

Mr. Mo was arrested on March 7, 2011 for urging the officials of the 610 Office in Taojiang County, Hunan Province to stop persecuting Falun Gong, and given one year at the Xinkaipu Forced Labor Camp.

He was arrested again only four days after he was released, while visiting a practitioner, when the police were ransacking that practitioner’s home. After 15 days of detention, he was given another 15-month term at the Xinkaipu Forced Labor Camp. Due to his physical condition, the guards refused to accept him and he was then released.

Two Prison Terms Given in Four Years

Mr. Mo was arrested again on April 29, 2013, while talking to people at the Changsha City Train Station. He was detained at the Yiyang City No. 2 Detention Center. In late 2013, he was sentenced to three years at the Wangling Prison.

After Mr. Mo was released in 2016, he moved to Ningbo, where he had previously opened an IT company, to find a job. He was arrested a year later on December 14, 2017 and sentenced to 3.5 years for spreading a notice issued by the State Council that lifted the ban on the publication of Falun Gong books.

Abused in Detention Center

Mr. Mo was held at the Haishu Detention Center following his latest arrest on December 14, 2017. Because he refused to wear the inmates’ uniform, guard Bu Jianguo handcuffed and shackled him. Bu also ordered the inmates to take turns beating him. Despite the cold weather and the lack of heat in the cell, the guards soaked Mr. Mo’s clothes at night and kept him handcuffed and shackled while sleeping.

Mr. Mo was later indicted by the Zhenghai District Procuratorate. When he was tried by the Zhenhai District Court on May 2, 2018, the judge didn’t allow him to talk about there being no law that has ever criminalized Falun Gong in China, even though she had indicated to Mr. Mo during a pre-trial meeting that she clearly knew that Falun Gong was being persecuted. The judge sentenced him to 3.5 years on March 21, 2019.

Shocked on the Tongue by Electric Baton in the Prison

Mr. Mo was taken to the Zhejiang Province No. 2 Prison on April 16, 2019. Guard Liu Yang sent him to the strict management team on the first night after seeing him doing the Falun Gong exercises.

The guards began ordering him to do intensive physical training on April 18, and sing songs to praise the Chinese Communist Party. When he refused to comply, the guards sprayed pepper water into his eyes and beat him with electric batons. They also dragged him along the ground when he refused to run the laps.

Guard Luo Jiawen, with the nickname “Tiger,” tied up Mr. Mo with a straitjacket and fired an electric baton to scare him. The flame produced by the electric baton was as long as a pencil. As Mr. Mo wasn’t intimidated, Luo shocked him on his neck, private part, and legs.

As Mr. Mo screamed due to the pain, Luo inserted the electric baton into his mouth and shocked his tongue until the baton ran out of battery. Luo then grabbed another electric baton and continued to shock Mr. Mo. His body was severely burned all over.

A month later, Mr. Mo was taken back to the regular cell. Guard Yang Song forbade him from reading the newspaper, buying daily necessities, or talking to others, as a way to force him to renounce Falun Gong. Yang also demanded that Mr. Mo write a thought report every week and a comprehensive report every month. Every night before he went to bed, he was forced to have his body searched while naked.

The inmates assigned to monitor him often enjoyed talking about the painful reactions of Falun Gong practitioners being shocked by electric batons. They said the places shocked by the guards the most were their mouths and testis.

Mr. Mo asked to write complaints about the torture. The inmates said that the guards wouldn’t allow him to do so if he hadn’t signed a statement renouncing Falun Gong.

Sun Hongcheng, the guard in charge of the prison education department, once said to Mr. Mo, “We have all kinds of methods. If you don’t transform, we will just continue to torture you until you do.”

Tortured for Speaking Up about the Persecution

Mr. Mo wrote a letter on December 10, 2019 about how the guards tortured him and asked guard Shen Feizhou to pass it to Chen Zhenhua, the political secretary of the prison, and Liang Chunlei, the head of the prison.

He also wrote a motion to appeal his prison sentence on the next day and gave it to guard Fu Huan and deputy prison head Yang Jian. In the motion, he detailed what Falun Gong is, the demonizing propaganda put out by the Chinese communist regime, and the Chinese publication bureau’s notice to lift the ban on Falun Gong books.

After the guards received the letter and the motion, instead of addressing it, they retaliated against Mr. Mo with more severe persecution. Deputy prison head Yang ordered seven inmates to monitor Mr. Mo around the clock. When Mr. Mo was sleeping, the inmates sat by his bed and pulled his comforter every now and then. Mr. Mo also wasn’t allowed to keep his hands in the comforter.

During the day, he was forced to strip his clothes and stand naked in front of the inmates at the top of every hour. The guards also starved him and ordered him to sing songs praising the communist regime. The hard copy of his prison sentence and the copy of his motion were confiscated.

On February 2, 2020, guard Liu Yang instigated the inmates to drag Mr. Mo into the restroom, and ordered him to sing the communist regime’s songs. When Mr. Mo refused to comply, Liu forcibly stripped him and shocked his private part and other areas of his body with electric batons. Another guard, Shen Feizhou, sprayed pepper water into his eyes.

When the political secretary Chen Zhenhua was inspecting the prison on March 15, 2020, Mr. Mo asked him whether he had received the letter he wrote him. He also talked in loud voice about how the guards tortured him.

Although Chen promised to look into Mr. Mo’s complaint after his public protest, the guards claimed that they didn’t find any evidence of torture and closed the investigation.

Guard Fu Huan ordered Mr. Mo to strip off his clothes again on March 16, 2020. After Mr. Mo refused to comply, Fu shocked him with electric batons.

In late March 2020, Mr. Mo was transferred from cell 403 to cell 701, after the guards filed several reports with the prison management that he was being very stubborn [in not renouncing Falun Gong]. The guards ordered six inmates to take turns monitoring Mr. Mo during the day. They also ordered him to stand and sit for long hours without moving. When he refused to comply, guard Li Chenjun sprayed him with pepper water.

Mr. Mo was stripped naked and shocked with electric baton on his buttocks on May 9, 2020 when he refused to cooperate with the guards.

The prison also transferred other practitioners who refused to renounce Falun Gong to cells 701 and 702, including Mr. Yue Caiyun and Mr. Huang Qingdeng, who later died from the torture on February 24 and March 16, 2021, respectively.

Mr. Mo was taken back to cell 403 on January 18 and released on June 13, 2021. Though a free man, he was taken back to Changsha and detained for 18 days in a brainwashing center.

Perpetrators’ contact information:
Chen Zhenhua (陈振华), political secretary of Zhejiang Province No.2 Prison: +86-571-89390110, +86-571-86236060
Shu Shuai (舒帅), police officer of Jiucaiyuan Police Station: +86-13908456120Yan Zhijian (严志坚), police officer of Huaguoshan Police Station: +86-13875351847

(More perpetrators’ contact information is available in the original Chinese article.)

Related report:

Yiyang Police from Hunan Province Arrest Dozens of Falun Gong Practitioners in May 2013

Related report in Chinese:


Chinese version available

Category: Accounts of Persecution