(Minghui.org) An 83-year-old man who had been serving time for his faith in Falun Gong died hours after he was sent home on oxygen on March 26, 2021.

Falun Gong, also known as Falun Dafa, is a spiritual and meditation discipline that has been persecuted by the Chinese communist regime since 1999.

Mr. Huang Qingdeng, a Leqing City, Zhejiang Province resident, was arrested at home on April 17, 2019. The police confiscated his Falun Gong books, photos of Falun Gong’s founder, several cellphones, and a computer. It’s reported that the police targeted him upon finding out that he had sent text messages to the public about the persecution of Falun Gong.

After nearly a year in detention, Mr. Huang was sentenced to seven years by the Leqing City Court on March 12, 2020. He was admitted to Hangzhou Second Prison on an unknown date.

A prison guard called Mr. Huang’s family in mid-November 2020 and said Mr. Huang was found to have six diseases and had been sent to the hospital for resuscitation. Despite his critical condition, the prison refused to release him on bail.

Mr. Huang’s family received another call from the prison in March 2021 and was told that he had been taken back to the hospital for resuscitation. 

Days later, at around 2 p.m. on March 26, 2021, Mr. Huang was sent home on oxygen. His entire body was black and blue. His family suspected that he had been given toxic drugs before being released. He died that evening.

Past Persecution

Mr. Huang took up Falun Gong in 1998. He credited the practice for improving his health and enabling him to become more positive about life.

Because he refused to renounce his faith, he was arrested and harassed several times over the past 21 years.

Mr. Huang and his wife were harassed at home by a dozen officers on October 20, 2004. The officers forcibly took Mr. Huang away and attempted to interrogate him. But the officers refused to reveal where they came from or give their phone numbers. No arrest warrant was provided either.

On January 12, 2006, police officers showed up at Mr. Huang's home. They ransacked his place and confiscated 8,000 yuan in cash along with other valuables. They dragged him downstairs and took him to the local police station, claiming he had been reported for practicing Falun Gong. He was interrogated for several hours and released later in the day.

Mr. Huang was arrested again after he came home from dropping off his granddaughter at her kindergarten on May 10, 2011. He was held in Leqing Detention Center and denied family visits. It’s not clear how long he was detained at that time.

Related reports:

83-year-old Man Serving Seven Years for His Faith in Critical Condition

82-year-old Man Sentenced to Seven Years for His Faith

Chinese version available

Category: Reports of Death Cases