Chinese name: 王汇真Gender: FAge: 64City: KunmingProvince: YunnanOccupation: Advertisement company employeeDate of Death: May 2021Date of Most Recent Arrest: September 25, 2019Most recent place of detention: Taiping Detention Center

Ms. Wang Huizhen was brutally tortured while serving time for practicing Falun Gong and suffered from severe ascites as a result, but the police continued to harass her after she was released and ordered her to renounce her faith. Living in fear, Ms. Wang’s health further deteriorated. The former employee of Xinhua Advertisement Company of Kunming City, Yunnan Province passed away in May 2021. She was 64.

Since the Chinese communist regime began to persecute Falun Gong, an ancient spiritual discipline, in 1999, Ms. Wang was repeatedly arrested and had her home ransacked. She was given a two-year labor camp term in 2001, and three prison terms: 4 years in 2003, 4 years in 2008, and 5 years in 2012. She was released early during most of her terms, and served a total of 11 years behind bars.

Two-year Labor Camp Term

Ms. Wang was first arrested on May 30, 2001, after being reported for photocopying information about Falun Gong. Her home was ransacked. After 37 days of detention, she was taken to Yunnan Province Women’s Forced Labor Camp, where she was detained for two years.

After Ms. Wang was released early on August 18, 2002, her employer didn’t allow her to return to work and stopped making contributions to her pension fund. She was allotted only 700 yuan a month from then on.

First Prison Term

Ms. Wang was arrested again on September 2, 2003, after being reported for distributing flyers about Falun Gong. She was held in Kunming City No. 2 Detention Center and sentenced to four years at Yunnan Province No. 2 Women’s Prison by the Kunming City Intermediate Court. She was released nine months early, on December 1, 2006.

Ms. Wang tried to return to work and have her pension payments reinstated, but was turned down again.

Second Prison Term

She was arrested for a third time on April 22, 2008, after being reported by a subdivision’s security personnel for passing out Falun Gong literature there. The police ransacked her home, without giving a confiscation list. She was sentenced to the second four-year term by the Kunming City Intermediate Court. 

Guards at Yunnan Province No. 2 Women’s Prison forced her to sit on a small stool daily for long hours for three straight months. Her legs swelled up, her buttocks developed festering sores, and her blood pressure went up. She was again released early, on June 2, 2011. 

Third Prison Term

Only a year later, on May 5, 2012, a group of officers broke into Ms. Wang’s home and arrested her. The police confiscated many of the office supplies Ms. Wang used to print Falun Gong informational materials at home, including her computers, printers, DVD burners, paper cutter, laminator, and her cellphone. The seized items filled up a police car, and the value of the confiscated items was estimated to be 28,000 yuan. The police also took more than 20,000 copies of fliers she made. One officer threatened her, “You will be given five years and be 60 years old when you get out!”

Ms. Wang was chained to a metal chair and interrogated in the Xishan District Domestic Security Office. That night she had a physical examination in a hospital and was then taken to Xishan Detention Center, where she was forced to package paper napkins from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. If she wasn’t working, she was ordered to sit still on a small stool all day.

Xu Lingxin, the prosecutor from the Kunming City Procuratorate, indicted Ms. Wang on September 29, 2012. The Kunming Intermediate Court appointed a lawyer to represent her and enter a guilty plea for her. She was sentenced to five years on December 28 by judges Yang Jie, Li Shichao and Li Xinghu.

Ms. Wang appealed her verdict, but the appeal was rejected by the Yunnan Province Higher People’s Court on April 3, 2013.

Two inmates were assigned to watch Ms. Wang around the clock when she was sent to Yunnan Province No. 2 Women’s Prison on May 20, 2013. They recorded her every move and word every day in a notebook provided by the guards and reported to the guards periodically.

Ms. Wang was placed under tight restriction and ordered to sit still on a small stool from 7:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. The position put much strain on her body and stress on her buttocks. Her legs became swollen and her buttocks developed sores. She also developed hypertension.

The guards did not allow Ms. Wang to talk to anyone. Her other daily activities were also restricted. Each week the prison gave her a bucket of cold water and a bottle of hot water for drinking and wash-ups. She could only use the toilet at specified times and had to take turns washing her clothes. She was not allowed to take a shower.

Before purchasing any food items, she had to fill out an application form and state that she had committed the crime of “sabotaging law enforcement using a cult organization.” This rule only applied to the imprisoned Falun Gong practitioners and not other prisoners.

After she was moved out of tight restriction in September 2013, she was placed under a big tent in the 7th Ward with 320 other prisoners. Inside the tent it was steaming hot in summer and freezing cold in winter. There was no table, and everyone had to eat on the ground.

The torture caused Ms. Wang to suffer high blood pressure, dizziness, swelling in her legs and severe ascites.

Latest Arrest

After Ms. Wang was released in May 2017, officers from the Xishan District Domestic Security Office, Donglu Police Station and Xibabei Residential Committee kept coming to harass her, despite her health condition. 

An officer broke into Ms. Wang’s home on September 25, 2019, while she was studying Falun Gong teachings with five other practitioners. The officer photographed the practitioners and wrote down their ID numbers. He called in more help and confiscated nearly 100 Falun Gong books and pictures from Ms. Wang. The police arrested all six practitioners, who were between 62 and 82 years old.

The police interrogated the practitioners at Donglu Police Station. Due to severe ascites, Ms. Wang could barely walk. The police took her to St. Johns Hospital for a health exam to prepare her for detention. It was 2:00 a.m. when she returned to the police station. The police still had all the other practitioners in custody, none of whom had been given anything to eat the whole time. Ms. Wang was later transferred to Taiping Detention Center in Anning City.

As soon as a guard in Taiping Detention Center saw Ms. Wang’s swollen abdomen and dire condition, he refused to take her. Although Ms. Wang returned home at around 5:40 a.m. the next day, she was taken back to the detention center to finish some paperwork at around noon.

The police and residential committee staff members continued to harass her after her release. Her condition kept deteriorating. She passed away in May 2021.

Perpetrators’ contact information:
Ai Xiong (艾雄), chief of Donglu Police Station: +86-13888941055
Xia Qianshan (夏黔山), police officer: +86-13888917717Luo Liqiang (罗利强), police officer: +86-13708465971Li Xueyi (李学毅), police officer: +86-15877988098Lu Zhou (卢州), director of Xibabei Residential Committee: +86-13888060259Bai Huiquan (白惠泉), staff member of Xibabei Residential Committee: +86-13888964121

Related reports:

Yunnan Woman Incarcerated Nearly 11 Years for Her Faith in Falun Gong

Yunnan Woman Repeatedly Arrested and Imprisoned for Her Faith