(Minghui.org) A 76-year-old Shenyang City, Liaoning Province, woman was taken back into custody after her hearing on December 24, 2020, for her faith in Falun Gong, a mind-body practice that has been persecuted by the Chinese communist regime since 1999.

Ms. Zhang Yun was first arrested on December 4, 2019, with her daughter, Ms. Dong Mei, who also practices Falun Gong. While Ms. Zhang was released after 16 days of detention, Ms. Dong remained in custody and was sentenced to two years by the Shenhe District Court around November 9.

It was reported that the police had monitored the mother and daughter for a long time before arresting them.

Ms. Zhang was arrested again on March 12, 2020, after being reported for distributing materials about Falun Gong in a residential area. The police ransacked her home without a search warrant and confiscated her Falun Gong books, a photo of Falun Gong’s founder, a printer, and a cellphone. After one day of interrogation, she was released the next afternoon and placed on residential surveillance at home.

Someone knocked on Ms. Zhang’s door at around 8:40 p.m. on August 19, but without identifying themselves. She suspected it was the police and didn’t open the door.

The next morning, a police officer arrested her when she was waiting for a bus. Upon finding some Falun Gong materials in her purse, the police ransacked her home again and confiscated her three Falun Gong books and Falun Gong founder’s photo. They released her after taking her photo.

The next day, the police asked her to come back to the police station to take her Falun Gong books back. She went there, only to be taken to the hospital for a physical examination. She was then released in the afternoon and put on residential surveillance at home.

Another group of officers descended upon Ms. Zhang’s home at around 7 a.m. on December 23. She didn’t open the door at that time but later relented when the officers came back at 10 a.m. This time, the officers brought her to the hospital for a coronavirus test. They also told her that she had been scheduled to appear in court the next day. The police initially attempted to keep her at the police station overnight, but later allowed her to go home after getting instruction from their supervisor.

Ms. Zhang appeared in the Yuhong District Court at 9 a.m. on December 24. None of her family members or her lawyer attended her hearing. She was taken back into custody at Shenyang City No.1 Detention Center afterward.

Related reports:

Liaoning Woman Sentenced to Two Years for Her Faith

Torture Survivor Faces Trial for Her Faith

Chinese version available

Category: Accounts of Persecution