(Minghui.org) A former teacher in Qu County, Sichuan Province was arrested on April 24, 2020 for her faith in Falun Gong, a mind-body discipline that has been persecuted by the Chinese communist regime since 1999.

The police confiscated Ms. Hu Yurong’s computer and some Falun Gong related materials. After ten days of detention at the Qu County Detention Center, she was transferred to a local brainwashing center, known as the Dazhou Legal Education and Study Center, and has been held there since.

Prior to her latest arrest, Ms. Hu has been repeatedly detained, for a total of nearly 15 years, for upholding her faith. 

She was first sentenced to five years in January 2001, while working in Tibet. She was forced to do intensive unpaid labor, tortured, and verbally abused while serving time at Beijiao Prison in Lhasa.

One year after she was released in 2006, Ms. Hu was fired by the school where she worked and sent back to her hometown in Sichuan from Tibet.

On October 1, 2007, dozens of police officers broke into her home and attempted to arrest her. She escaped, only to be arrested two weeks later. This time, the Sichuan police took her back to Tibet. Her hands and feet were cuffed during the 48-hour trip and she wasn’t given any food. 

Ms. Hu returned to Sichuan on January 10, 2008 to spend the Chinese New Year with her family. On February 10, 2008, three days after the Chinese New Year, the police arrested her and gave her a 2.5-year term at Nanmusi Women’s Forced Labor Camp in Sichuan. 

Only a few months after she was released, she was arrested one more time on November 26, 2010 while on her way to look for a job. The police beat Ms. Hu on the street and dragged her into an unmarked police car. 

She was tortured at the Qu County Detention Center and then taken to the Dazhou Mental Hospital, where she was injected with unknown drugs and force-fed.

The Qu County Court sentenced Ms. Hu to seven years in prison on August 23, 2011 with fabricated accounts from village officials accusing her of distributing Falun Gong informational materials. 

In addition to the persecution Ms. Hu suffered herself, her 72-year-old father was once detained for five days and her brother was fired by his workplace because of her arrests. Her husband divorced her, fearing being implicated in the persecution. Ms. Hu's elderly parents took her young son in while she served time.

Related report:

Ms. Hu Yurong, Previously Persecuted in a Forced Labor Camp, Illegally Sentenced to Seven Years