(Minghui.org) A retired doctor in Dalian City, Liaoning Province, passed away on November 25, 2012 after suffering years of persecution for his faith in Falun Gong, an ancient spiritual and meditation discipline that has been persecuted by the Chinese communist regime since 1999. He was 75.

Mr. Zhou Fusheng was an attending physician in the air force for 40 years. Despite being a senior doctor, he could do little about his own health problems, including hepatitis, heart disease, and high blood pressure. 

Mr. Zhou was delighted to see both his health and character improve after taking up Falun Gong in May 1995. His wife, Ms. Liu Yuqin, and three children also learned the practice and became more positive and considerate.

After the persecution of Falun Gong began in July 1999, the family spoke out for their faith, only to be met with harsh punishment.

Mr. Zhou and Ms. Liu’s older daughter, Ms. Zhou Haiyan, was taken to a brainwashing center several times between 2000 and 2006 for refusing to renounce Falun Gong. She was given two forced labor camp terms in 2001 and 2007 for a total of over five years. She was arrested again on October 8, 2017 and sentenced to eight years in Liaoning Women’s Prison in September 2018.

Mr. Zhou and Ms. Liu's younger daughter, who worked at the Bureau of Certification and was the recipient of numerous performance-based awards, was fired from her job. Her supervisor said if they didn’t let her go, all the other employees’ bonuses would be revoked and the supervisors themselves might also lose their jobs. They also said that the only thing that could prevent her from being fired was to write a statement to renounce Falun Gong, which she refused.

Mr. Zhou and Ms. Liu's son suffered from bipolar disorder and had to drop out of school. His symptoms disappeared after he began to practice Falun Gong in 1995. However, he later had to bear the mental anguish brought about by the plight of his parents and sisters.

Mr. Zhou was severely beaten by a young police officer and sustained a serious head injury on February 4, 2002, for talking to people about Falun Gong. He was also forced to pay a fine of 1,000 yuan. After he returned home the next day, the police continued to harass and threaten him.

The depression and pressure from the persecution took a toll on his health, and he passed away on November 25, 2012.

Ms. Liu, while mourning her husband's death, has been fighting to get her older daughter released from prison.

Related report:

Husband Dead and Daughter Imprisoned, 73-Year-Old Woman Calls for Justice