(Minghui.org) Shandong Province Second Women's Forced Labor Camp became a place solely for detaining Falun Gong practitioners shortly after the persecution of Falun Gong - an ancient spiritual and meditation discipline that began in 1999.

Guards at the labor camp were trained across the country to torture, deceive and brainwash practitioners with hidden and heinous methods. The ones who achieved a high ratio in making practitioners renounce their faith were rewarded with promotion. As a result, several practitioners were persecuted to death, with many becoming handicapped, mentally disordered and seriously ill.

Falun Gong practitioners were forced to attend brainwashing sessions or do unpaid labor from 5:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Sometimes, they had to work overtime past midnight, even until 2:00 a.m. They were forced to sit on small stools all the time except when having meals, using restrooms, or doing labor jobs that required standing.

The practitioners who refused to renounce their faith were subjected to various means of torture, such as long-term sleep deprivation for more than 40 days, solitary confinement, wearing handcuffs, being shocked with electric batons, deprivation of using the restroom and washing themselves, long periods of standing, squatting or facing the wall, being hung up or tied up.

There were over 1,000 Falun Gong practitioners detained in the labor camp's seven wards in 2001. It was reduced to four wards by 2004 and some drug addicts and prostitutes were also detained there who were instigated by the guards to help torture practitioners. The labor camp continued to function until 2013, when the labor camp system was disbanded in China.

Victims in the Third Ward

A list of notable victims in the Third Ward was exposed. To note, the practitioners' ages mentioned below were their ages during their detention period.

Ms. Wang Yulan, in her 50s, was confined in a solitary cell, basement, or restroom stall most of the time. She was often seen with blood in her mouth after beatings, and she sometimes was beaten up until she passed out. She was also deprived of sleep for long stretches of time, washing herself, or using the restroom.

Ms. Song Jing, about 22, was a college student at Beijing University. She was often subjected to beatings. Sometimes, the guards began the beating after midnight. In order to prevent her from screaming, they stuffed dirty socks or rags into her mouth. As a result, her body was full of bruises and turned black. She was confined in a restroom stall, basement, or solitary cell so that nobody could see her bruised body. She was not allowed to sleep or wash herself for a long time. Her body had a strong odor. She became mentally disordered and was startled easily.

Ms. Zhu Lizhen, in her 50s, lost her mind due to long-term torture. Once a guard grabbed her hair and punched her breasts, then banged the back of her head to an iron rack. She lost consciousness several times. She was deprived of sleep and not allowed to bathe. She was forced to stand facing a wall for a long time.

Ms. Zhang Hong, in her 50s, had been locked in the basement, solitary cell or restroom stall for long periods of time. She was forced to stand or sit still in one position and was punched and kicked if she moved slightly. The guards wrote the name of Falun Gong's founder on a piece of paper and forced her to step on it so as to torment her psychologically.

Ms. Sun Kailing, in her 30s, was subjected to force-feeding and being handcuffed from behind. She had been locked in the basement, solitary cell or a restroom stall and deprived of sleep for a long time. Sometimes, she was not allowed to use the restroom and had to relieve herself in her pants.

Ms. Liu Yanping, in her 20s, had been confined in a solitary cell, handcuffed, force-fed, and not allowed to sleep for a long time. Once she spit blood after being beaten by guard Lin Yuezhen.

Ms. Song Xiumei, about 60, was not allowed to sleep for a long time. She had symptoms of high blood pressure, heart disease, and severe bronchitis, so she was sent to the hospital for oxygen many times. However, she was still forced to do labor work. She was released when she was on the brink of death.

Ms. Liu Yumei, in her 60s, was not allowed to sleep for a long time and had been confined in a basement, solitary cell, or restroom stall, She was forced to stand still or face a wall. The guards tortured her by taping her mouth and tying her up to iron pipes. She was forced to write letters to renounce Falun Gong and was punched and kicked when she refused to do so.

Ms. Zhang Ximei, about 50, refused to renounce her faith despite being under various tortures. She was put under strict discipline and forced to sit for 18 hours a day without moving, all year round. She was beaten once she moved. She was restricted from going to the restroom, taking baths, or doing laundry. She was unable to think logically and her body swelled.

Ms. Liang Hongzhi, about 45, was deprived of sleep for a long time and was locked in a restroom stall. Her feet were severely swollen and she had symptoms of various diseases. Her mind became unclear.

Ms. Gao Wenmei, about 46, was often handcuffed to the restroom window. She was forced to sit on the cold ground during menstrual periods and not allowed to change pads. She was long-term sleep deprived. She was subjected to “transformation” sessions for more than a year, where she was forced to renounce her faith. Her forced labor term was extended.

Guard Ding Haiying did not allow Ms. Lu Xuesheng, a 70-year-old Falun Gong practitioner from Zouping City, Shandong Province, to use the restroom. When Ms. Lu could not hold it and ran to the restroom, Ding dragged her back. To try to force Ms. Lu to give up her belief, Ding even sewed Ms. Lu's trousers to her clothes so she could not take her trousers off to use the restroom.

Perpetrators in the Third Ward

Chen Suping was the head of the Third Ward until October 2002. She deceived practitioners with her superficial kindness but deployed cruel means to persecute them. She later became the manager of the Management Team.

Li Aiwen, head of the Third Ward, was about 45 years old. She personally beat practitioners and ordered other detainees or guards to torture practitioners. She devoted herself to the Chinese Communist Party to pursue promotion and lost her humanity.

Many practitioners became mentally disordered, ill, or near death in the Third Ward.

Other perpetrators in the Third Ward included instructor Wang Yonghong, deputy head Lin Yuezhen, guards Ding Haiying, Yan Shuping, Yin Guihua, Zhang Chunxia, Zhang Fang, Cui Hongwen, and Han Xinke.