(Minghui.org) Ms. Chen Shumin, in her late-fifties, from Cangzhou City in Hebei Province, formerly worked at a bank. She was talking to people about the persecution of Falun Gong at a farmers' market on December 4, 2018, when a plainclothes officer appeared with a video camera and started recording her. Li Yi and other officers from the Yunhe District Domestic Security Division then arrested her.

Li, along with five officers, went to Ms. Chen's home at around 11:00 a.m. and ransacked it. They confiscated many of her personal belongings.

Ms Chen was later taken to the Cangzhou Detention Center. When her lawyer went there to meet his client, he was told that her case had already been turned over to the Procuratorate.

Officers Cao and Li Yi are in charge of Ms. Chen's case, and frequently went to the detention center to interrogate her.

Ms. Chen has maintained her innocence and refuses to wear the detention center uniform, as she has not broken any laws.

The guards instigated inmates to brutally beat her. However, Ms. Chen continues to adhere to her belief in Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance, and never fights back. This has earned the respect of those around her.

Past Persecution

Ms. Chen has been arrested, detained and tortured by personnel from the Yunhe District Police Department since the Chinese Communist Party began persecuting Falun Gong in July 1999.

She was first arrested on October 11, 2007, and her home was ransacked. She was taken to the Cangzhou Detention Center.

Ms. Chen was arrested again in August 2009 after someone reported her for talking to people about Falun Gong in a rural area. Her home was ransacked again, and she was taken to a detention center.

Ms. Chen was talking to people about Falun Gong in Daiyuan Village on February 23, 2013, when she was arrested by a Cangzhou police officer. She was taken to the Yunhe Police Department, where Gao, head of the Domestic Security Division, and other officers searched her. She was fined 5,000 yuan, and later released.