Name: Wang Anlin (王安琳)
Gender: Female
Age: 65
Address: Leyu Building 6, Section 2, Room 202, Beijing Normal University Campus
Occupation: Doctor at the Beijing Normal University Hospital
Date of Most Recent Arrest: July 2005
Most Recent Place of Detention: Jilin Detention Center (吉林市看守所)
City: Jilin
Province: Jilin
Persecution Suffered: Forced labor, brainwashing, illegal sentencing, beatings, imprisonment, torture, force-feedings, home ransacked, interrogation, detention

( Dr. Wang Anlin of the Beijing Normal University Hospital was illegally arrested seven times for refusing to stop practicing Falun Gong. She was savagely beaten, and then sentenced to five years in prison in 2005. She was taken to Beijing Women's Prison. Below is her personal account of the persecution that she suffered in prison.

Illegally Detained, Taken to a Forced Labor Camp, and Beaten

I went to Tiananmen Square in Beijing with fellow practitioners on June 18, 2000, to display a Falun Gong banner. Police officers who were patrolling the square grabbed my hair, and then punched and kicked me. They forced me into a police car and took me to a detention center called Paoju, where I was held for a month and then released on bail. My trial was one year later.

In July 2000, I returned to Shiyan, my hometown in Hubei Province. The second day after my arrival, I was visiting my older sister Wang Anxiu (she later died due to persecution), when the local police broke in and ransacked her home. They arrested me and took me to the police station, where I was confined to a metal cage for three days. Officials didn't respond for over 48 hours to my request for their reason for arresting me, so I protested by starting a hunger strike on August 27. They took me to the detention center on the third day. I was beaten for continuing to do the Falun Gong exercises and for the hunger strike. I was in severe pain, and kept rocking back and forth on the ground. After the beating, I was black and blue, with bruises from my waist down to my ankles. The officials force-fed me by prying open my mouth with handcuffs, cutting open the corners of my mouth in the process. Later, Beijing police took me back to Beijing.

I was sentenced to one year and six months of forced labor in October 2001, for distributing Falun Gong flyers.

More information about Dr. Wang Anlin can be found at:

Made to Do Forced Labor, Physically Abused

Local police broke into my home in July 2005. They confiscated my personal computer, printer, and all of my Falun Gong materials. They arrested me and took me to the Haidian District Detention Center. I was later sentenced to five years in prison. Officer Wu from the Xuanwu Police Department cursed as he punched and kicked me. His police identification number was 028965.

A policewoman with the surname Tian, and a male police officer with the surname Hu forced me to sign an unidentified document, and refused to return my computer, which was worth approximately 10,000 yuan. I sustained both physical and mental injury as a result of the detentions. My health deteriorated daily. I had previously enjoyed good health after practicing Falun Gong. Due to the mistreatment in prison, I had to use a lot of medication every day, mainly for heart disease, and was hospitalized a few times. I lost a lot of hair while in prison. Even after my release, I still suffered from nightmares, and it's still very difficult for me to forget about the things that took place in prison.

Forced labor was one of the main torture methods that prison officials use on practitioners. With no consideration for the aged, weak, ill, or disabled, all inmates were forced to do hard labor, and held to a daily quota. Each person's production determined their score, which in turn determined whether they could get reduced prison terms. Inmates who wanted to be released early worked very hard to increase their scores. Prison authorities however, devised other ways to suppress practitioners who tried to get their terms reduced. For instance, the authorities forced practitioners to take exams that determined whether they had been truly “transformed.” There were usually three answers available for each question on the exam. Selecting the answer that they deemed correct was safe, but you were punished if you picked the wrong answer. If you picked the in-between answer, you were identified as problematic and still punished.

It was commonplace for the prison authorities to take advantage of inmates, and control them by using them to punish practitioners. The head officials seldom carried out the punishment themselves, and instead ordered other inmates to do it for them. Practitioners had no right to speak their minds. I was not allowed to drink water regularly, and suffered from severe constipation. I sometimes had to use my hands to facilitate defecation, which was extremely painful. During the winter, I was not allowed to use hot water for showers. Hot water was usually delivered in a small ladle, which obviously did not keep the water hot.

My personality is very reserved and timid. After suffering from all this mental pressure, I couldn't sleep at night, nor could I eat normally during the day. Over time I developed heart disease and lost a lot of hair.