(Clearwisdom.net) Ms. Zhang Yanmei, 43, lives at Tienanbawei, Kerqin District, Tongliao City, Inner Mongolia. In 1999, Ms. Zhang went to Beijing to speak out for Falun Gong. She was arrested and detained at the Tiananmen Square Police Station for over four hours. She was then transferred to Tongliao City's liaison office in Beijing, where she was detained for over twenty hours. Shao Jun, deputy captain of the Kerqinyuan National Security Team of Tongliao City, together with another policeman subsequently handcuffed her, along with several other Falun Gong practitioners, and took them to Hexi Detention Center of Tongliao City, where they were detained for over a month. Shao Jun confiscated over 800 yuan from Ms. Zhang without any legal procedures or documentation.

In June-July 2000, Shao Jun and Baojirimutu, from the National Security Team, broke into Ms. Zhang's home and took her and her husband Han Naijun to the police department. During an interrogation attempts were made to deceive them into admitting to a falsified crime. They refused. The authorities learned that Ms. Zhang assisted a fellow practitioner with travel expenses to Beijing. Therefore, the National Security Team extorted 3,000 yuan from Ms. Zhang's elder brother before releasing them.

On December 29, 2000, Shao Jun, Wang Bo, and Bojirimutu from the National Security Team arrested Ms. Zhang, who was selling merchandise at the local outdoor market, and took her to the local police station. Ms. Zhang was subsequently detained at the Hexi Detention Center for over four months. Despite pressure, she refused to give up her belief. She recited and transcribed Falun Gong scriptures, and practiced Falun Gong exercises while she was detained. This was observed by Wang Li, the former ward of the detention center. On the second day, Wang Li ordered a policewoman surnamed Liu, on duty that day, to instigate the inmates to use a special torture device on Ms. Zhang. The device is called a "pig shackle." After putting on the shackle, the victim is unable to stand up straight nor lie down flat. She was forced to wear the shackle for seven days. Her body was tortured while she suffered humiliation at the same time. Policewoman Bao Wuyun once searched Ms. Zhang's body and found Falun Gong scriptures. Bao slapped her face forcefully. As Ms. Zhang recited Falun Gong scriptures, a policeman slapped her face while cursing endlessly. She was transferred to the Tumuji Women's Forced Labor Camp in Xing'anmeng on April 30, 2001. She suffered both physically and mentally during the past ten years, and her family has also suffered tremendously, beyond any remedy.

On June 27, 2007, Ms. Zhang Yanmei's husband Han Naijun, who was also a Falun Gong practitioner, distributed Falun Gong materials and was reported to the authorities by Zhang Deku and others from Gaojia Street of the Qianjiadian Town, Kerqin District National Security Team. Captain Wang Bo, Baojirimutu and others arrested Mr. Han. On the morning of June 28, police officer Wang Wei and others from Kerqin District Police Station went to Ms. Zhang's home to harass the family. In the afternoon, policeman Guan Zhengang and Baojirimutu from the National Security Team attempted to ransack Ms. Zhang's home but was resisted by Ms. Zhang. Guan Zhengang telephoned the local police to arrest Ms. Zhang. They took her to the local police station, illegally photographed her, dragged her to a higher floor, and cuffed her hands to a radiator for several hours before releasing her at around 8:00 p.m. that night. During Ms. Zhang's husband's detention at the Hexi Detention Center, she went to multiple governmental offices to appeal for his release. Guan Zhengang of the National Security Team once pushed her down a steep staircase, almost endangering her life.

During the more than ten years of persecution, the Kerqin Police Department has harassed Ms. Zhang's family multiple times. The Tienan Police Station and the local neighborhood committee have continually harassed and surveilled Ms. Zhang, and still continue to do so.