Name: Zhang Fang (张芳)
Gender: Female
Age: Unknown
Address: Unknown
Occupation: Unknown

Date of Most Recent Arrest: June 2008
Most recent place of detention:
Detention Center (看守所 )
City: Yinchuan
Persecution Suffered:
Detention, extortion, brainwashing, beatings, home ransacked
Key Persecutors:
Wan Jucai, police officer

( I began to practice Falun Gong in 1996 and benefited from it both physically and mentally. I suffered from serious gastroenteritis so I had loose bowels and vomited all the time. I dared not eat anything that was cold or raw, and I frequently suffered from nosebleeds. I was afraid of cold and suffered from severe headaches and neurasthenia, as well as heart disease. I had a very bad temper and often fought with my husband. After practicing Falun Gong for a few months, all my illnesses disappeared. Our Teacher requires us to treat everyone well, regardless of the situation, so I was able to get rid of my bad temper.

When my husband saw how much I had improved, he was extremely glad, so he told whomever he met, "My wife read Zhuan Falun and ever since then our family life has been harmonious. You must all learn Falun Gong. It is wonderful."

Teacher asked each of us to be a good person and think about others first so as to attain the righteous enlightenment of selflessness and altruism. In 1997, I donated 1,700 yuan to an orphanage and 2,000 to Project Hope (to build schools for kids who do not have a school to go to). In 1998, I mailed 5,000 yuan to the flooded area along the Yangtze River Valley.

Witnessing the wonder of Dafa, my elder sister and my two nephews and their wives all began to practice Falun Gong.

On July 20, 1999, the Jiang Zemin regime began the persecution of Falun Gong. Wan Jucai and officers from Tiedong Police Station in Yinchuan City in the Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region came to my home and forced me to surrender my Falun Dafa books. Later, officers from the police station and people from the neighborhood committee often came to my home and harassed me.

On March 2, 2000, I went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong with several other practitioners. On March 5, we were stopped at the gate to the Tiananmen Rostrum. We were arrested and taken to our region's Beijing office. Later, the officers from our city went to Beijing to bring us back. They extorted 750 yuan from me.

I worked at a kindergarten. In 2001, Li Bo, section leader of my workplace, told me to hand in my Falun Dafa books but I refused. He seized my copy of Zhuan Falun and reported me to the Tiedong Police Station. Thereafter, Wan Jucai, several other officers, and people (including Li Bo) from my workplace pried open my classroom door and ransacked the classroom. They even broke into my cupboard. They left after they failed to find anything. Li Bo frequently harassed me after that and pressed me to sign a guarantee statement.

Since July 20, 1999, officers from the police station and people from the neighborhood committee, as well as from the security section of my workplace, have often come to my home and banged on the door. They have ransacked my home and tried to force me to sign a guarantee statement. My family members were suffering the same persecution. Eventually my husband and son could not bear it anymore, and they shifted all their anger to me. They did not allow me to read Falun Gong books or do the exercises anymore. They even opposed my cultivation. My husband handed over a copy of Zhuan Falun to the police station. He ripped up the truth-clarification materials and ruined an exercise tape. My son also tore up a copy of Zhuan Falun and a copy of Minghui Weekly. He also ruined exercise tapes. Police officer Wan Jucai instigated my husband to beat me. My husband beat me so brutally that I had to remain in bed for 33 days.

In 2004, the Yinchuan City 610 Office opened a brainwashing center in an attempt to force practitioners to give up their cultivation. Wan Jucai collaborated with my husband to admit me to the brainwashing center, where I was detained for 38 days. During that time officers used "carrot and stick tactics" (sweet lies and violence) and also assigned people to monitor me. Every day I was forced to watch videos that slandered Falun Gong and its founder. Since my understandings regarding the Fa principles in cultivation were less than clear and my righteous thoughts were not strong, I signed a guarantee statement.

In June 2008, I was reported while distributing truth-clarification materials and was arrested by Yang Jianguo, head of Jiefangxijie Police Station in Yinchuan City, and his men. An officer with the surname of Chen extorted 1,000 yuan from my family. I was held at a detention center for 22 days. During my detention, the guards incited the inmates to beat me and insult me.

On the afternoon of July 20, 2009, I was out taking a stroll when Li Junshan, head of Tiedong Police Station, grabbed my arm and attempted to drag me to the station. I refused to go so he called for two other officers. The three of them dragged me toward the police station. I shouted at the top of my lungs, "Falun Dafa is good! Zhen-Shan-Ren is good!" When we arrived at the station I said to them, "Falun Gong asks people to be good. Lies have been spread about it." I was kept for about an hour. I resolutely wanted to go home and eventually they did let me go.

Two days later, Hou Xiaoliang, head of the Jinfeng District Police Sub-department; officers Wang Jianguo, Dai Chunhua, and a female officer from Tiedong Police Station; and two others came to my home and ransacked it. They confiscated my Falun Gong books, recent articles, informational materials, my daughter's computer, and other items. They arrested me and took me to the police sub-department, where they interrogated me from 2 p.m. until 5 p.m. However, I did not say anything and did not sign anything. Later they coerced my husband, who was not a practitioner, to write slanderous words against the founder of Falun Gong. My family finally got the computer back. I also made a solemn statement to declare null and void what I had done that was not in line with the standards of a practitioner.

After July 1999, my elder sister was arrested four times. My two nephews and their wives have also been persecuted. Wan Jucai also forcibly dragged one of my nephews' wives to the hospital and forced her to have an abortion when she was nearly seven months pregnant.