Name: Sha Yulian (沙玉莲)
Gender: Female
Age: 61
Address: Unknown
Occupation: Factory Worker
Date of Most Recent Arrest: October 14, 2005
Most recent place of detention: Shaanxi Women's Prison (
City: Xian City
Province: Shaanxi Province
Persecution Suffered: Detention, Extortion, Beatings, Sleep Deprivation, Home Ransacked, Force-Feedings, Physical Constraint

( Ms. Sha Yulian is retired from Baoji City Light Machinery Factory. She is sixty-one years old. She began practicing Falun Dafa in September of 1996. Since Jiang's regime began the persecution of Falun Dafa, Ms. Sha Yulian has been persecuted numerous times by the 610 Office because she refused to give up her belief. She was arrested and held four times and sentenced to a labor camp twice.

  1. On December 17, 1999, Sha Yulian was arrested by police from Baoji City Weibin District Public Security Subdivision Bureau. She was held at Jinger Road, a branch office in Weibin district. Li Jianzhong and others from the office took turns watching her at night, during the day, the staff from the security bureau tried to force her to give up her belief. She firmly refused the request. She was held for thirteen days and was given a so-called warning from Baoji City Weibin District Public Security Bureau.

  1. On March 26, 2000, Sha Yulian was arrested on her way to Beijing to appeal for Falun Dafa. Jian Hua from the branch office went to her home, extorted four thousand yuan, and went along with 610 Office agents to Beijing and took Sha Yulian home. She was held in the Baoyun Company dormitory which tried to force her to "transform." She refused and was held there for six days, forced to pay $1500 yuan and transferred to Weibin Detention Center for another 15 days. In October 2000, she was sentenced to a labor camp for one year by Weibin Public Security Bureau. She was permitted to serve the sentence at home, but the police extorted another two thousand yuan from her.

  1. On January 26, 2001, Weibin 610 Office staff ordered Sha Yulian's family, her residential committee staff, local police station and her workplace to fill out the form "Education, Teaching Responsibility Statement", in an attempt to monitor her more closely. Sha Yulian wrote a letter to clarify the facts about Faun Gong and sent it to local organizations that were responsible for the persecution.

  1. Five days before October 1, in 2001, Li Qiming from the Jinger Road Police Station asked Sha Yulian to come to the station to write a guarantee statement promising not to practice Falun Gong. She did not go, but left home the next day. The policemen assumed that she went to Beijing and told her husband to look for her. He refused and was extorted out of two thousand yuan.

  1. On October 2, 2001, Falun Gong practitioners held a Baoji District Experience Sharing conference. A fellow practitioner was followed without his knowledge by the police and the police arrested over fifty practitioners that day. Sha Yulian among them. Most of the practitioners were sentenced to labor camps for one to nine years. Practitioner Yang Xueqin is still held in Shaanxi Women's Prison where she suffers brutal persecution. Sha Yulian was held in a detention center for one month and was sentenced by Weibin Public Security Bureau to three years in a labor camp and held at Shaanxi Women's Labor Camp. In the labor camp, the guards instigated inmates to beat her for not reciting the rules of the labor camp. The beatings caused tinnitus and a severe loss of hearing. The guards tried to force her to write a guarantee statement. When she refused to cooperate the guards tortured her with sleep deprivation and forcing her to stand in a corner for long periods of time. She began a hunger strike, and became extremely weak, developing gall bladder symptoms and heart disease. The labor camp injected her with medicine for three days through an IV. Instead of getting well, she became worse. At the end, the labor camp agreed to release her on a medical parole. Her husband took her home, after she was held for eight months.

  1. On October 14, 2005 around 6 p.m., policemen from the Weibin District Public Security Bureau, a local police station, ransacked her home and arrested her. They confiscated numerous items of personal property, did ten thousand yuan of damage, and took six thousand in cash. She was held in the Baoji Steel Tube Factory dormitory and later transferred to the Fenghuang Motel (makeshift detention center), where she began a hunger strike. Several guards closed the curtain and began brutally force-feeding her. The guard claimed that it was impossible for her husband not to know what she had done at home, so they arrested him also and held him for eighty-one days. She was transferred to Jintai Detention Center and the police extorted eight thousand yuan from her family without providing a receipt. After eleven months, she was sentenced to four years in prison by Jintai Court and held in Shaanxi Women's Prison. In prison, the guards ordered her to shout "Sir!" whenever she saw the guard. Sha Yulian believed that she was innocent and refused to cooperate. She was beaten severely. She was cuffed to an iron door and forced to write a repentance statement. One night, she was called out of her cell after midnight, and forced to write the three statements by Wang Ying, Bi Dongpo and the head guard. After that, they frequently tortured her at night and she developed illnesses from their abuse including coughing, hearing loss, and sinusitis. After she was released, 610 Office agents from Baoji City, Weibin District continued to harass her at home.