Falun Dafa practitioner Mr. Li Xinglian was an employee of the Wuhan Yangtze River Shipping Group in Hubei Province. He was sent to brainwashing classes many times for persisting in his practice of Falun Gong. In the brainwashing classes Mr. Li was persecuted to the point of mental collapse and his body became very weak. On September 4, 2004, he died after falling from a building. [editor's note: details of this incident are under investigation.]

53-year-old Mr. Li Xinglian resided in the living quarters for employees in Yujiahu, Wuchang City. He started to practice Falun Gong in 1995 and benefited both mentally and physically. Li Xinglian was acknowledged by all who knew him to be a good person.

After the persecution began in July 1999, Li Xinglian went to Beijing twice to appeal for Falun Gong. He was taken back by his workplace and sent to Qingling Detention Center. Later, he was sentenced to a forced labor camp. In January 2002 when he was released from Hewan Forced Labor Camp, Li Xinglian didn't eat or drink for nine days. However, he was still forcibly sent to the Jianghan District "Transformation Class" for continuous detention and brainwashing. Tang Lan and Hu Jiaqiang, who were in charge of the brainwashing classes, ordered others to monitor Mr. Li's words and actions and didn't allow him to talk with other Falun Dafa practitioners. In February, Deputy Secretary Mao Li of the Economic Development Zone Committee, the director of the Recreation and Sports Committee, and Director Deng of the Birth Control Committee, took over the brainwashing classes and accelerated the persecution of Falun Gong practitioners, in cooperation with Hu Jiaqiang. They did not allow practitioners to perform the Falun Gong exercise or talk with each other, and they stipulated that all staff must keep a close eye on practitioners and record their actions.

Li Xinglian suffered mental torture numerous times, and his body and mind were harmed so much that he suffered a mental collapse and his body was greatly weakened. At the end of May 2004, the 610 Office put Mr. Li on the blacklist for enforced brainwashing, but gave up later when they found that Li Xinglian was on the verge of death. Li Xinglian was sent to a mental hospital, but wasn't accepted. The next day, on September 4, 2004, Li Xinglian died after falling from a building.

December 27, 2004