Latest News from China - May 25, 2004
- [Beijing] Female Falun Dafa Practitioner Might Be Dead as a Result of Police Brutality in Dongcheng District Detention Center
- [Chaoyang City, Liaoning Province] Falun Dafa Practitioners Ms. Jiang Wei and Ms. Xie Baofeng in Critical Condition at Shijiazihetao Detention Center
- [Shijiazhuang City, Hebei Province] Falun Dafa Practitioner Ms. Xing Qiying of Jinma Residential Area Arrested by Yudong Police
- [Zhaodong City, Heilongjiang Province] Ms. Chen Jing and Ms. Cao Yankun Unlawfully Held at the City's No. 1 Detention Center
- [Tianjin] Ms. Zhang Hanping Arrested in Baodi District
- [Zhaoyuan City, Shandong Province] Falun Dafa Practitioner Ms. Cui Aichen Arrested
- [Datong City, Shanxi Province] Ms. Zhang Xirong Remains Missing after Being Arrested for Appealing in Tiananmen Square in 2000
- [Zhanjiang City, Guangdong Province] Potou District Falun Dafa Practitioner Ms. Li Meihua Arrested
- [Sanhe City, Hebei Province] Zhang Lixin, Family Member of an Employee of No. 3 Railroad Bureau in Yanjiao Town Is Arrested
- [Shouguang City, Shandong Province] Some Cases of Extortion of Cash Payments from Falun Gong Practitioners in Tianma Town
- [Wuxue City, Hubei Province] Police Abuse and Torture Elderly Woman from Taiping Township for Speaking the Truth
1. [Beijing] Female Falun Dafa Practitioner Might Be Dead as a Result of Police Brutality in Dongcheng District Detention Center
On November 5, 2001, in the No. 2 Cell of Department No. 2 of the Dongcheng District Women's Detention, Beijing, a young female Falun Dafa practitioner in red underwear, red shirt, and red socks was force-fed by prison doctors. She was tortured by prison guards, who poked electric needles into her body until she was on the verge of death. After someone alerted the guards of her condition that night, the young practitioner was carried away. She was never brought back. According to cellmates, she died from police brutality.
2. [Chaoyang City, Liaoning Province] Falun Dafa Practitioners Ms. Jiang Wei and Ms. Xie Baofeng in Critical Condition at Shijiazihetao Detention Center
On April 2, 2004, Chaoyang City Falun Dafa practitioners Ms. Jiang Wei and Ms. Xie Baofeng were arrested. They are being held and tortured at the Shijiazihetao Detention Center. Their lives are in imminent danger. The detention center officials have refused to release either of them.
Falun Dafa practitioner Ms. Jiang Wei, former owner of Landun Restaurant in Chaoyang City, was inhumanely tortured in the Masanjia Forced Labor Camp. She was then taken to a mental hospital, where she was abused. After she was released, Ms. Jiang and her oldest daughter became homeless and destitute, and her husband was forced to divorce her. Now both she and her daughter are being held in custody at the detention center.
Falun Dafa practitioner Ms. Xie Baofeng has held firm to her belief in Falun Dafa, despite inhumane torture in the Masanjia Forced Labor Camp. After two years of separation from her family, she was able to see them briefly. However, she is now again being held in captivity.
Relevant Telephone Numbers:
Country Code: 86; City Code: 421
Office of the head of the Shijiazihetao Detention Center: 2732175
Call-in number of the detention center: 2732375
Chaoyang City Police Department: 2615615 (fax)
Huang Weizhong, chief of the police department: 2616582 (office), 2800288 (home), 86-13904215818 (mobile)
Wang Hui'an, deputy chief of the police department: 2613139 (office), 2629009 (home), 86-13904210199 (mobile)
Qi Hongzhi, deputy chief of the police department: 2617028 (office), 2613490 (home), 86-13504211598 (mobile)
Wang Jiming, deputy chief of the police department: 2620003 (office), 2611996 (home), 86-13904210008 (mobile)
Cui Li, deputy chief of the police department: 2620856 (office), 2616460 (home), 86-13504210188 (mobile)
Chaoyang City State Security Department: 2617325 (office), 2611455 (fax)
3. [Shijiazhuang City, Hebei Province] Falun Dafa Practitioner Ms. Xing Qiying of Jinma Residential Area Arrested by Yudong Police
It was after 9:00 a.m. on May 23, 2004, when a dozen or so police officers from the Yudong Police Department and members of the joint security brigade arrested Falun Dafa practitioner Ms. Xing Qiying while she was out doing grocery shopping. Ms. Xing, who is in her fifties, lived in the Jinma Residential Area.
Individuals responsible for the arrest:
Zhang Zhongzhi, head of the Yudong Police Station
Du Yaming, director of the police station
Guo Yilong, Han Zenglu, and Zhang Jianhong, deputy chiefs of the police station
Hao Zhiwen, Sun Xiang'an, Li Runlai, and Ren, officers of the police station
Telephone numbers of the police station: 86-311-5328518, 86-311-5661524, and 86-311-5661356
4. [Zhaodong City, Heilongjiang Province] Ms. Chen Jing and Ms. Cao Yankun Unlawfully Held at the City's No. 1 Detention Center
On April 29, 2004, Zhaodong City Falun Dafa practitioners Ms. Chen Jing and Ms. Cao Yankun were turned in to the police by informants while distributing Falun Gong truth-clarifying materials in the rural areas of Shangjia Town. Local police arrested them and sent them to the Zhaodong City Police Department. The two practitioners were initially held in a detention facility and have since then been transferred to the Zhaodong City No. 1 Detention Center. Their families have been denied any visits.
5. [Tianjin] Ms. Zhang Hanping Arrested in Baodi District
In mid-April 2004, Falun Dafa practitioner Ms. Zhang Hanping went to Shu'erwo Village in Dakoutun Town, Baidi District to post self-adhesive signs that read, "Falun Dafa Is Good," and to distribute Falun Gong truth-clarifying leaflets. Officer Sun Haishun of the Niujiapai Police Station, who was staking out the village, arrested Ms. Zhang. She is being unlawfully held at the Baodi District Detention Center.
Relevant Telephone Numbers:
Country Code: 86; City Code: 22
Baodi District Branch Police Department in Tianjin: 29241720
Office of the chief of police: 29241532, 29241059
Baodi District Detention Center: 29221544
Sun Haishun, police officer: 29681082 (home)
6. [Zhaoyuan City, Shandong Province] Falun Dafa Practitioner Ms. Cui Aichen Arrested
Around 8:00 a.m. on May 22, five male and one female officer from the Zhaoyuan City "610 Office" (1) climbed over a wall to break into Falun Dafa practitioner Ms. Cui Aichen's home in Chengnan District. The officers took Ms. Cui to a brainwashing unit without cause. When Ms. Cui's husband tried to stop the police from their unlawful acts, the officers pushed him to the ground. His hand was injured as a result.
7. [Datong City, Shanxi Province] Ms. Zhang Xirong Remains Missing after Being Arrested for Appealing in Tiananmen Square in 2000
Ms. Zhang Xirong, 69, is from Xihuayuan in Datong City, Shanxi Province. On December 13, 2000, she went to Tiananmen Square in Beijing to validate Falun Dafa. She has been missing ever since she was taken to the Tiananmen Square Police Station.
8. [Zhanjiang City, Guangdong Province] Potou District Falun Dafa Practitioner Ms. Li Meihua Arrested
Ms. Li Meihua is a villager at Tangning Village in Minyou Township, Potou District, Zhanjiang City, Guangdong Province. On May 5, 2004, she was arrested by the Potou Town Police Station at Tangbo Village Market in Potou. She was first taken to the Potou Detention Center and subsequently transferred to a brainwashing unit in Zhanjiang City. The telephone number of the Potou Town Police Station is 86-759-3821350.
9. [Sanhe City, Hebei Province] Zhang Lixin, Family Member of an Employee of the No. 3 Railroad Bureau in Yanjiao Town, Is Arrested
It was just past 5:00 a.m. on May 24 when several officers from the Yanjiao Branch Police Department in Sanhe City, Hebei Province arrested Zhang Lixin without cause. Zhang is a family member of an employee of the No. 3 Railroad Bureau in Yanjiao Town.
10. [Shouguang City, Shandong Province] Some Cases of Extortion of Cash Payments from Falun Gong Practitioners in Tianma Town
Below is a partial list of Falun Gong practitioners who have had their money extorted by local authorities, and the amounts they had extorted in yuan (2).
Liu Xiangting and Zhang Jiarong:
Han Piaomin and Li Yingmei: 5,000 yuan
Fang Shilan and Zhang Junwen: 5,000 yuan
Ms. Lou: 3,000 yuan
Ms. Li Wenqing: 3,000 yuan
Ms. Han Xiangyun: 3,000 yuan
Hu Qiurong: 7,000 yuan, Han Lanying: 3,000 yuan
Bi Ruilan: 5,000 yuan, Gui Youxiu: 3,000 yuan
Li Youqing: 3,000 yuan, Xu Qinglan: 3,000 yuan
Liu Aihua: 3,000 yuan, Liu Aifang: 3,000 yuan
Han Shengfang: 3,000 yuan, Han Chuanliang: 3,000 yuan
Han Piaorui: 3,000 yuan, Liu Dexiang: 3,000 yuan
Han Hualu: 3,000 yuan, Han Banghua: 3,000 yuan
Li Zhifu: 3,000 yuan, Sun Chuansheng: 3,000 yuan
Ma Liangshun: 3,000 yuan, Ma Liangxiao: 3,000 yuan
Zhang Chunlei: 3,000 yuan, Xia Wenling: 3,000 yuan
Yin Aiying: 3,000 yuan, Zhao Qinguang: 3,000 yuan
Zhao Shengwu: 3,000 yuan, Xia Lanying: 3,000 yuan
Wang Cunsheng: 3,000 yuan, Liu Chunjiu: 3,000 yuan
Liu Zuoyun: 3,000 yuan, Sun Chunfen: 3,000 yuan
Wang Youdong: 3,000 yuan, Liu Baoji: 3,000 yuan
He Fangsheng: 3,000 yuan, Yang: 3,000 yuan
Han Xiangmeng: 3,000 yuan, Han Aiqin: 1,000 yuan
Wang Tianwen: 3,000 yuan, Zhang Hengjie: 3,000 yuan
Lou Yuxiang: 3,000 yuan
Wang Shourong: 3,000 yuan
Li Guizhen: 3,000 yuan
Wang Junfeng: 3,000 yuan
Tian Fengxiang: 3,000 yuan
Wang Xianggui: 3,000 yuan
Bu Chunsheng: 3,000 yuan
Wang Changsheng's wife: 1,500 yuan
Wang Yuanfu's wife: 3,000 yuan
11. [Wuxue City, Hubei Province] Police Abuse and Torture Elderly Woman from Taiping Township for Speaking the Truth
Ms. Chen Jinde, who is in her seventies, lived at Xiangdang Village in Taiping Township, Wuxue City, Hebei Province. On February 3, 2002, she went to Magan Village in Yuchuan Town to tell villagers there, "Falun Dafa is good." She also told them how Falun Dafa benefits people both mentally and physically, and how Falun Dafa is being persecuted. Informants turned her in to the Yuchuan Police Station. Officers rushed to the site, and dragged her upside down from a mountain ridge. She was bruised by the gravel and tree stumps on the ground, and bled from cuts she suffered while being dragged along. Her clothes were torn apart and she could not help crying out in pain. The police did not stop their inhumane torture until nearby villagers heard Ms. Chen's cries and showed up to condemn this brutal act.
(1) "610 Office": an agency specifically created to persecute Falun Gong, with absolute power over each level of administration in the Party and all other political and judiciary systems.
(2) Yuan: the unit of currency in China; the average monthly salary of an urban worker is 500 Yuan.