(Minghui.org) Despite the fact that 63-year-old Mr. Wang Hongshu was completely paralyzed from the waist down, the local police in Shenyang City, Liaoning Province is still trying to send him to prison for practicing Falun Gong, a spiritual discipline that has been persecuted by the Chinese communist regime since 1999.

Mr. Wang was arrested on August 22, 2020, after being reported for using banknotes printed with information about Falun Gong. Due to strict information censorship in China, Falun Gong practitioners are using creative ways to raise awareness about their faith, including printing information on banknotes.

While being interrogated at the Nanyanghu Police Station, the steel plate implanted in his lower back due to injuries from previous incarceration for practicing Falun Gong suddenly broke. He became paralyzed from the waist down. The police took him to three hospitals, which all confirmed that the lower end of the steel plate cracked. The police made four attempts to take him to various local detention facilities, but were rejected each time.

The police released Mr. Wang on bail on August 27, 2020, after forcing him to pay 5,000 yuan bond. They claimed that the money would be returned a year later, but his family would be implicated if he violated the bail condition.

Police officer Yang Peng called Mr. Wang’s daughter on August 9, 2021, and asked her to tell him to come to the police station on the next day to answer some questions about his bail. Accompanied by his wife and son-in-law, Mr. Wang went there as required. Yang asked him whether he went out of town in the past year, whether he had contact with other Falun Gong practitioners and who gave him the banknotes he spent in 2020.

Yang said that as Mr. Wang’s bail was expiring in two weeks, they had submitted his case to the Shenyang City Police Department, which would in turn forward it to the procuratorate and then the court. He ordered Mr. Wang to stay at home and prepare to be summoned at any time.

Yang called Mr. Wang’s daughter again on August 24 and summoned her father for another interrogation a day later.

When Mr. Wang went with Yang to the Tiexi District Police Department on the next day, Yang videotaped him. The police also recorded his face for future facial recognition and examined the injuries on his back.

As Mr. Wang was unable to sit, he was laid on a bench. Wang Yu, the deputy police chief, accused him of promoting Falun Gong. He threatened Mr. Wang to not contact anyone and warned him to stay at home and wait to be summoned. He also asked whether Mr. Wang was planning to hire a lawyer. The interrogation lasted twenty minutes. Mr. Wang returned home afterwards.

When Mr. Wang was previously arrested in 2001, the police broke his spine while beating him, causing him to be paralyzed in his lower body. He later had a steel plate installed in the lower back and was able to stand and walk again.

The police then gave him a labor camp term. While serving time, the guards beat him again and broke the steel plate, resulting in his being paralyzed again and being unable to care for himself. He was then released on medical parole.

Mr. Wang was arrested again on the early morning on January 17, 2008 while on his way to visit his sister. The police beat him and knocked out his front teeth. The police continued to beat him after he was taken to the Domestic Security Office. He was on the verge of death and was released after going through an examination in the hospital. The beating caused the steel plate to be dislodged. He also had severe chest pain. His throat swelled and he was unable to eat. He fainted twice.

Perpetrator’s contact information:
Yang Peng (杨朋), officer of Nanyanghu Police Station: +86-15502408219

Related report:

Mr. Wang Hongshu Taken Into Custody And Beaten Savagely by Officers of Diaobingshan City