(Minghui.org) A 64-year-old woman suddenly died in custody two months after she was arrested for practicing Falun Gong, an ancient spiritual and meditation discipline that has been persecuted by the Chinese communist regime since 1999.

A person familiar with the matter recently provided more information regarding Ms. Ma Guilan’s mysterious death to Minghui.org. 

Ms. Ma, a Qinhuangdao City, Hebei Province resident, was arrested by officers from Zhujiangdao Police Station on July 4, 2018 together with another practitioner Ms. Ma Aihua (no relation), for talking to people about Falun Gong. 

Ms. Ma was held in a local detention facility for half a month and then transferred to Qinhuangdao City Detention Center. There, the authorities attempted to force her to renounce Falun Gong. When she refused to comply, they poured spicy water onto her face. 

Ms. Ma started a hunger strike around September 11, 2018 to protest the arbitrary detention. The guards force-fed her three days later, on September 14.

According to the insider, the guards force-fed Ms. Ma a paste that had a foul smell. After the force-feeding, the guards forced Ms. Ma to stand watch that night, even though she was very weak.

The next day, the guards force-fed her again with the same foul-smelling “food.” Her cellmates heard her miserable screams during the force-feeding. 

On September 16, the guards force-fed her for the third time. 

By 7 a.m. on September 17, Ms. Ma was unable to get up from her bed and barely conscious. Two cellmates helped her sit up. They noticed that her hands and feet were very cold.

Her cellmates put her back into bed, only to see her eyes and mouth wide open and that she had lost consciousness. They reported the situation to the guards. Several people came shortly and carried her out on a stretcher. One of her cellmates noticed that one of her arms was hanging down from the stretcher as they took her out.

Ms. Ma was taken to Qinhuangdao Police Hospital and died about one hour later. Several officials from a provincial government agency came and removed her internal organs for some alleged examinations. It’s not clear what organs were removed and where they were taking the organs.

The authorities soon ordered Ms. Ma’s family to cremate her body. As her husband and child were intimidated by the authorities, they didn’t dare to reveal any information about her death. 

Ms. Ma Aihua, the other practitioner who was arrested with Ms. Ma, was sentenced to six months by Haigang Court on December 11, 2018. 

Related reports:

Hebei Woman Dies Suddenly While in Custody—Organs Extracted

Hebei Woman Dies in Custody Two Months After Being Arrested for Her Faith