(Minghui.org) Raised in an atheistic communist society, I was a “dare-devil” in my youth. My actions were impulsive and short-sighted. The “Cultural Revolution” began during my middle school years. Like many other students my age, I was sent to the countryside to work as a farmhand.

By the time I was allowed to return home, I was physically and mentally drained. Pain from chronic gastrointestinal inflammation and heart problems kept me up all night.

I started vomiting blood in the fall of 1998. After not eating for seven days, I went to the hospital. The doctor looked at my test results and told my wife, “Take him home. Make sure he's comfortable and cook him anything he wants.”

That night, I lay in bed feeling hopeless. My wife, who is a Falun Gong practitioner, said, “Let's listen to Master Li Hongzhi's lectures. It seems there's nothing else we can do for you. Only Master Li and Dafa can save you!”

As I lay there listening, I thought, “What Master Li says makes good sense. It's very good.” I then drifted into a deep sleep. I woke up starving, and I ate a big bowl of noodle soup for breakfast. I wanted more, but my wife reminded me not to over do it as I hadn't eaten for several days.

I went back to work the next day. My coworkers were puzzled, and said, “What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be resting at home?” After returning home that day, I started to read Zhuan Falun. In this way I became a Falun Gong practitioner.

Finger Injury Recovered in Seven Days

The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) started the persecution of Falun Gong in July 1999. I knew Falun Gong was being slandered, and because I was a living example of how amazing Falun Gong is, I knew it was my duty to speak up. I went to Beijing and visited our provincial governors and officials.

I was arrested, and spent one year in a labor camp, where I was abused, mentally and physically.

After being released, I landed a job in a small factory.

One day while I was operating a pressing machine, the tip of my left index finger was cut off. The blood dripped on the machine and all over my apron. I heard someone shouting, “Help! Help!” Soon I was surrounded by my coworkers. Someone tore fabric into strips and tightly wrapped my arm. More cloth was applied to my injured finger. The bleeding just would not stop. I heard people shouting, “Hurry! Take him to the hospital!” The factory director arrived. While they were busy discussing which hospital to take me to, I jumped on my bike and raced home.

My wife helped me wash off the grease and blood on my hand. Once I was cleaned up and the finger was wrapped, I told my wife how the injury happened.

The factory director and coworkers came to visit. They tried to persuade me to go to the hospital. I told them there was no need, as my wife and I were both Falun Gong practitioners, we would not cause any trouble for the factory. They brought me food and money. I accepted the food but returned the money.

Seven days passed. I kept doing the exercises and intensively studying the Fa. I recovered and wanted to go back to work. My coworkers thought I was joking and came to check on me. They inspected my finger closely and said, “How can it heal this fast? It's as though it hadn't been chopped off… Unbelievable!” They insisted that I rest for three more days. As they were leaving, I heard them say, “This is not what the TV said. Falun Gong practitioners are very good people!”

I returned to work the following morning, and was surrounded by curious coworkers. “We heard your hand recovered? Is it true? Let us see it!” I said, “Sure! It's all good now, you see...”

My finger has never received this much attention before. My coworkers inspected it closely and declared that Falun Gong was amazing. Several asked me to show them how to practice Falun Gong.

On payday, I received two envelopes of money. One was my regular salary and the other was compensation for my sick days at home. I returned the extra money for the sick days and thanked the director for his kindness. I told him him that I felt I was not entitled to it, as I did not work on those days.

I know I am still far from Master's expectations. My understanding is that if I were diligent, I would not have sustained this injury. I will try harder to cultivate myself and live by the guiding principles of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance.