(Minghui.org) After nine years of torture and imprisonment for upholding his spiritual belief in Falun Gong, Mr. Yang Baosen developed a lung infection, diabetic ketoacidosis, and severe brain aging. He was scheduled to be released on medical parole on March 5, 2018.

Mr. Yang's family was first informed by the prison on February 27, 2018, that he had lost consciousness and was to be sent to a hospital for treatment.

When Mr. Yang's family arrived at the hospital, he had awakened and had an IV attached. He was emaciated and very weak. He had difficulty eating. He was unable to sit up or walk by himself. He also needed others' help to use the restroom. Three guards supervised him in the hospital.

While the hospital performed brain and lung CT scans, the authorities rushed to take him back to the prison before the scan results came out.

Mr. Yang's family later learned from a doctor that his condition was life-threatening. The CT scans indicated damage on the white matter regions of the brain. His cerebellum had atrophied, and there were holes and fluid in his lungs. In addition, he was diagnosed with diabetic ketoacidosis, a life-threatening complication of diabetes.

Mr. Yang's family visited him in the prison hospital the next day, February 28. He had a fever and was receiving an injection. His face was flushed, and he stammered.

The concerned family members found the head of the prison hospital, Li Chong, and requested that they release him on medical parole. Li refused to release Mr. Yang and said that his conditions did not qualify for medical parole.

He also said that because the prison hospital was providing him medical treatment, they would not be responsible for him if an unfortunate event were to occur.

Mr. Yang continued to deteriorate over the next few days. He was sent to the hospital for another emergency chest CT scan on March 3, 2018. The results were consistent with previous scans–he had a severe lung infection, and there were holes and fluids accumulating in his lungs. He was unable to eat and could only have liquid food injected intravenously.

Mr. Yang, in his 60s, was arrested on December 23, 2008, for refusing to renounce Falun Gong. Officers interrogated and tortured him at the police station so brutally that his toenails came off.

He was sentenced to ten years in prison in late March 2009 in a secret trial by the Gan'an County Court. His family appealed the sentence, but the higher court upheld the verdict without a hearing.

Mr. Yang was taken to Gongzhuling Prison on May 6, 2009, and was subjected to constant torture, including being stretched, shocked by electric batons, and made to sit on a “small stool” for long hours without moving.

Previous reports:Mr. Yang Baosen Tortured in Prison with Electric Batons and Tied to “Stretch Bed”Practitioners Mr. Song Sheng and Mr. Yang Baosen from Qianan County, Jilin Province are Imprisoned