(Minghui.org) Mr. Yang Baosen from Songyuan City in Jilin Province was sentenced to ten years in prison for refusing to renounce his belief in Falun Gong. He was taken to the Gongzhuling Prison in 2009 and suffered from brutal torture, such as being shocked with electric batons and tied to a “stretch bed.”

Shocked With Electric Batons and Tied to a Stretch Bed

Guard Li Zhe took Mr. Yang to the strict management team of the prison in April 2013. He was forced to sit still on a small stool all day, and was given very little food. Seventy days later he was taken back to the 6th ward of the prison. Mr. Yang tried to do the Falun Gong exercises to improve his physical condition, but when he was discovered, guard Li Zhe put him back in the strict management team.

The head of the strict management team Wang Jidong ordered guards to shock Mr. Yang with four electric batons at the same time, until the batteries ran out. The guards then got two more electric batons and continued to shock him. Mr. Yang's chest, back and legs were severely burned.

Torture re-enactment: Shocked with electric batons

In September 2013, Mr. Yang was tied on a “stretch bed” for one week. His arms and legs were tied to the four corners of a bed, and he was left suspended in the air for a long period of time. This puts extreme pressure on the shoulders, arms and legs.

Torture re-enactment: Stretch bed

Mr. Yang had to be taken to the Gongzhuling Hospital on September 20, 2013, as a result of this torture. He was taken back to the 6th ward of the prison on September 30. Guard Li Zhe put Mr. Yang back in the strict management team on October 8 for ten more days. Mr. Yang was very weak and could barely speak when he was returned to his cell.

Sentenced to Ten Years in Prison

Officials from the Qian'an County Court secretly tried Mr. Yang in March 2009, without informing his family or lawyer. He was forced to represent himself in court. Mr. Yang was later sentenced to ten years in prison.

Mr. Yang's family obtained the verdict from Qian'an County Court after going through a great deal of obstruction, and Mr. Yang appealed the decision.

In April 2009, Mr. Yang's family hired four lawyers from Beijing: Li Heping, Wang Yajun, Cao Ming and Guo Shaofei. The second trial was originally scheduled for April 14, 2009, at Songyuan City Intermediate Court, but it was postponed twice due to pressure from officials at the Jilin Province Superior Court. The trial was eventually canceled. The judge told the lawyers to submit their defense statements by May 1.

The original verdict was upheld, and Mr. Yang was taken to Gongzhuling Prison on May 6, 2009.

Arrested and Tortured by Police

Officers from the Yuzhoulu Police Station arrested Mr. Yang at his home in Qian'an County on December 23, 2008. They ransacked his home and confiscated his personal belongings.

The police tortured Mr. Yang by striking his toes until his toe nails became detached. They poured cold water over him and made him stand outside in the freezing cold. They then force-fed him with alcohol. He was beaten so badly that he could barely walk. His lower body was severely swollen and covered in bruises.

Summary of Key Persecution Facts:Name: Yang Baosen (杨宝森)Gender: MaleAge: 57Address: Qian'an County, Songyuan City, Jilin ProvinceOccupation: UnknownDate of Most Recent Arrest: December 23, 2008
Most Recent Place of Detention:
Gongzhuling Prison (公主岭监狱)
City: Gongzhuling
Persecution Suffered:
Detention, home ransacked, brutal beatings, force fed, illegal trial, imprisonment, electric shock, torture