(Minghui.org) Mr. Deng Chuanjiu, a Falun Gong practitioner from Pengzhou City, Sichuan Province, was arrested by the Domestic Security police on October 8, 2017. It was alleged that Mr. Deng was arrested for using WeChat, a Chinese online messaging tool, to send messages to officials in the judicial system about the China Administration of Press and Publication repeal [of] its ban on [the] publication of Falun Gong Books in 2011.

Mr. Deng was detained in a “Study” [Brainwashing] Class where he was handcuffed and not allowed to sleep. He has been illegally detained at the Pengzhou City Detention Center since October 16.

Mr. Deng was first detained at the police department on the morning of October 8, where he was interrogated by the Domestic Security police until 11 p.m. Later, he was sent to the Brainwashing Class held in Guihua Town, Pengzhou City. He was handcuffed to a chair with both hands behind his back and not allowed to sleep for seven days. As soon as he fell asleep, guards immediately poured cold water over his head to wake him up.

Due to the repeated abuse and sleep deprivation, Mr. Deng was mentally and physically exhausted. The guards took advantage of his weakened state and forced him to sign the detention documents. As soon as he signed, he was sent to the Pengzhou City Detention Center on October 16.

Mr. Deng's family was also harassed. Police officers broke into his home in Gexianshan Town and beat his wife and son. They forcibly took the son's cell phone in order to prevent him from recording their illegal actions. The police used tape to tie up Mr. Deng's wife and beat her for half an hour in an attempt to force her to sign a document acknowledging her husband's arrest.

When Mr. Deng's son asked the police why his father was arrested, they told him that his father used WeChat to send messages telling people that the ban of Falun Gong books had been repealed.

After the Chinese Communist Party started to persecute Falun Gong in July 1999, Mr. Deng was detained and tortured repeatedly for practicing his spiritual belief. When he went to Beijing to appeal in December 1999, he was apprehended and taken back to Chengdu City. The Pengzhou City 610 Office and the Nanyang Township Government sent him to detention for 15 days. While he was detained, Mr. Deng was repeatedly beaten and incurred serious injuries.

Mr. Deng continued to speak out for his right to practice his faith. He was reported to the authorities by the village Party secretary, Yang Tingfa, and a neighbor on the night of April 20, 2004. He was again arrested by the 610 Office and the police. He was beaten, then later sentenced to five years' imprisonment. He was also tortured in Deyang Prison and held in solitary confinement. The guards covered his mouth with tape and took turns beating him.

Related Articles:China Administration of Press and Publication Repealed Its Ban on Publication of Falun Gong Books in 2011Police Arrest Husband and Beat WifeMr. Deng Chuanjiu Brutally Persecuted in Pengzhou City, Sichuan ProvinceChina Administration of Press and Publication Repealed Its Ban on Publication of Falun Gong Books in 2011