(Minghui.org) Ms. Tang Bangyu is a Falun Gong practitioner in Pengzhou City, Sichuan Province, a region where the persecution of Falun Gong is particularly vicious.

Since Jiang Zemin, the former head of the communist regime, started the persecution of Falun Gong in 1999, Ms. Tang has been arrested and tortured many times. She was even brutally beaten with a metal bar by local Chinese Communist Party (CCP) officials.

Her husband was pressured to divorce her. So, she raised her son alone. Her husband has remained single.

Ms. Tang has never changed her belief in Falun Gong despite suffering years of persecution. Ms. Tang filed a lawsuit against Jiang Zemin in June 2015.

Brief Summaries of Ms. Tang's Lawsuit

1999: Arrest, Detention, Confiscation and Surveillance

When the persecution started in July 1999, we practitioners were called China's “No.1 enemy” and “anti-revolutionary forces,” although we were simply striving to be good people by following the Falun Gong principles of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance. I did not understand why we were persecuted.

There was no chance that I would have given up this cultivation practice. I was afraid that my old health problems would resurface. I continued to do the exercises at home, but I was still unable to avoid being persecuted.

Police from the Xiaoyudong Police Station came to my home in late July 1999 and confiscated all my Falun Gong books and Master Li's photos.

The police then arrested me in December 1999 and took me to the police station. My husband and son went to the police station that night and demanded that I be released. Although I was released that night, I was put under surveillance around the clock.

2000: Peaceful Appeal: Arrested, Detained, Tortured and Money Extorted

I went to Beijing to peacefully appeal for the right to practice Falun Gong with fellow practitioners in early April 2000. We were arrested the moment we arrived at Tiananmen Square, taken to the Qianmen Police Station, and transferred to the Beijing affiliated office of Sichuan Province.

We were stripped and our bodies were searched. A male police officer viciously slammed our faces into the wall and kicked us. When we cried, he viciously beat us.

I was escorted back to Pengzhou City three days later, detained in the Pengzhou City Detention Center, and extorted out of 3,000 yuan. The amount was deducted from my monthly salary at a rate of 300 yuan per month, although my monthly salary was only 420 yuan. I was released in late May.

Local police arrested me on November 15, 2000. I was taken to the Xiaoyudong Police Station, and transferred to the Pengzhou Detention Center three days later. I was released after one week.

2001: Arrest and Brutal Beatings

Tan Jinyou, head of the township's CCP committee, Luo Wenhong, his deputy, and two young men beat me brutally for four hours on January 3, 2001. Tan hit my back with a metal rod that was three feet long and one inch wide. Someone suggested to pull off my heavy coat, before they continued to beat me.

They demanded that I kneel, but failed. The steel rod was bent and Tan was exhausted, so Luo took the steel rod, and continued to beat me while scolding me. His hand was cut by the steel rod and bleeding, so he started to slap my face. Throughout the beating, I kept my eyes closed and remained quiet. I asked Master for help in my mind. Although, I felt pain, it was bearable.

They took turns to beat me. One of the young men targeted my shoulder and face. Seeing that I was still able to stand, he kicked me and I fell forward. I quickly stood up again and was determined not to fall again.

I was released that day. My back had a large gash about 4 inches long and about the width of a finger. I went to my sister's home and returned to work five days later.

2002: Arrested and Released After Hunger Strike

Because I wrote “Falun Dafa is good! Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance is good” on a wall, I was arrested on May 19, 2002, and taken to the Baisuihe Police Station. Police slapped my face and shocked me with an electric-baton. I refused to write their guarantee statement that I would renounce Falun Gong.

The deputy director from my work unit came to the police station around 10 p.m. and wrote the statement on my behalf, after which he took me home.

I was arrested at work on July 30, 2002, by police from the Baisuihe Police Station and staff from Xiaoyudong Township. I was taken to the Bengzhou City Detention Center and released after I went on a five-day hunger strike.

2004: Arrested and Beaten

I was arrested at my home during the night of September 15, 2004. Police from the Baisuihe Police Station and Pengzhou City Police Department took me to the police station. They covered my head with a bag, drove me to a remote place and took turns beating me. I was locked in a dark room that night.

The next evening, two women came. They beat my face with a roll of newsprint. When the roll broke, they made another one and continued to beat me. They gave up after they became extremely tired.

On the third evening, Yang Youping, a government official, beat me with a green metal bar from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. the next morning. The metal bar was damaged and my entire body was dark and purple.

Another young man came in the afternoon. He kept slapping my face until he was tired. After taking a break, he continued beating me.

I was transferred to the Pengzhou City Detention Center that night. I was interrogated every day. The guards demanded that I write a guarantee statement giving up the practice. I firmly refused.

One month later, I was released unconditionally.

Gaining Health After Practicing Falun Dafa

I suffered severe rheumatism before I started to practice Falun Gong in August 1997. The joints in my body were swollen. I was unable to touch any cold water and often unable to sleep because of the pain. I tried all kinds of treatments, including Western medicine and Chinese medicine, and spent my entire earnings. However, it was in vain.

I developed a gastric ulcer and was only able to eat liquids. Whenever I ate a little solid or tasty food, I would suffer excruciating pain. I also had a gynecological disease, suffered from dizziness and other chronic illnesses. I walked slowly and often had to take sick leave from work.

However, all my problems were gone 20 days after I began to practice Falun Gong, and my family, friends and colleagues witnessed my recovery.


In 1999, Jiang Zemin, as head of the Chinese Communist Party, overrode other Politburo standing committee members and launched the violent suppression of Falun Gong.

The persecution has led to the deaths of many Falun Gong practitioners over the past 17 years. Countless practitioners have been tortured for their belief and even killed for their organs. Jiang Zemin is directly responsible for the inception and continuation of the brutal persecution.

Under his personal direction, the Chinese Communist Party established an extralegal security organ called the “610 Office” on June 10, 1999. The organization overrides the authority of the police and the judicial system in carrying out Jiang's directives regarding Falun Gong: ruin their reputations, cut off their financial resources, and destroy them physically.

Chinese law allows citizens to be plaintiffs in criminal cases, and many practitioners are now exercising their right to file criminal complaints against the former dictator.