(Minghui.org) Mr. Meng Fanyi owns a deli in Jilin City. He was illegally arrested by local police on October 18, 2013, simply because he practices Falun Gong. Mr. Meng was first detained in a brainwashing center, then transferred to a detention center for more than 40 days. Mr. Meng is currently facing a prison sentence. His family hired a defense attorney to make a legal claim against the 610 Office staff and police officers who participated in persecuting Mr. Meng.

Meng Fanyi, 49, is the former director of the propaganda section of the Discipline Inspection Commission of Shulan City in Jilin Province. After he began practicing Falun Gong in July 1997 all his illnesses disappeared. However, like countless other practitioners, Mr. Meng was subjected to persecution and lost his job after the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) started the brutal persecution in July 1999.

Sentenced to Four Years in Prison for Upholding His Belief

Mr. Meng went to Beijing to speak out for justice, hoping to clarify the facts about Falun Gong to the government. He was taken back by staff from the Jilin Province Liaison Office in Beijing and his workplace. They tried to force him to give up his belief. Mr. Meng was later detained in the Nanshan Detention Center in Shulan City for three months. After he was released, he was transferred from the Discipline Inspection Commission to the Bureau of Agriculture Economy of Shulan City.

Mr. Meng was arrested again on July 8, 2000 and was sentenced to four years in prison. He was detained in the Tiebei Prison in Changchun City. After his release in July 2004, he was fired from his workplace.

Mr. Meng and His Wife Illegally Arrested and Their Home Ransacked

In order to avoid further persecution after he lost his job, Meng Fanyi and his family were forced to leave home. They went to Jilin City where Mr. Meng opened a deli shop to support his family. He conducted himself according to the principles of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance in all his business dealings and for a few years the family enjoyed a peaceful life.

On the morning of October 18, 2013 when Mr. Meng went to load goods as usual, he was arrested by police. At the same time, officers from the Xiangyang Police Station broke into his home and arrested his wife Bao Lujuan.

They hit his wife on the head with a flashlight and demanded to know where her husband had gone. They shouted, “If you don't tell us, we'll make you suffer as though you were in hell.”

The police took Ms. Bao to the Xiangyang Police Station. They took away her house key and cell phone. Later, they went to Mr. Meng's house again and took away all their Falun Gong books and Master Li's portrait, as well as three computers and nearly 7,000 yuan in cash.

Mr. Meng's wife was detained at the police station for 16 hours. She was later taken to the Jilin City Detention Center, where she was detained for 15 days before being released.

Mr. Meng was taken to the Xiangyang Police Station the afternoon he was arrested. He was transferred to the notorious Shahezi Brainwashing Center in Jilin City for persecution the next day.

At the brainwashing center, collaborator Liu Shuanghui forced Mr. Meng to watch slanderous videos against Falun Gong and its founder. Liu defamed and swore at Master Li the entire time.

Brainwashing center staff tried to deceive Mr. Meng into giving up his belief by offering him bail and a reduced sentence, but he refused to compromise himself. Seven days later, he was transferred to the Jilin City Detention Center, where he is still detained. They are now trying to sentence Mr. Meng to prison.