Summary of Key Persecuting Facts

Name: Wei Chunyu (魏春雨)


Changchun City, Jilin Province


Date of Most Recent Arrest:
June 12, 2001

Most recent place of detention:
Xinglongshan Brainwashing Center (兴隆山洗脑班)
City: Changchun

Persecution Suffered:
detention, brutal beatings, dousing with cold water, pierced fingertips, toothbrush drilled in fingers, withholding full wages and bonuses, brainwashing, loss of employment.

Recently, the Minghui website published an article specifically exposing one of the tortures that the evil Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has used on Falun Gong practitioners: Torture with a toothbrush. http://en.minghui.org/html/articles/2013/7/21/141149.html

After reading the article, many readers were appalled. Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Wei Chunyu, an engineer in the Designing Institute of Changchun No. 1 Auto Manufacturing, has personally experienced the brutality of the toothbrush torture.

For nearly 13 years now, Mr. Wei Chunyu has been destitute and homeless due to the CCP's persecution. His son was 12 years of age when Mr. Wei Chunyu left home, and he has not seen him for over 10 years. Fear and pressure from the CCP caused his wife to divorce Mr. Wei.

After Toothbrush Torture, His Fingers Were Badly Mangled

On October 6, 2000, Mr. Wei Chunyu went to Tiananmen Square in Beijing to perform the exercises as a way to appeal for Falun Gong. He was arrested by police from Changchun City Public Security Bureau and taken to Changchun.

While on the train returning to Changchun, the police collected berth fees from each Falun Gong practitioner, but placed 5-6 practitioners on one berth. While traveling, the police tortured Falun Gong practitioners in public view. They handcuffed a female Falun Gong practitioner in the aisle. Then they punched this female practitioner with their fists and kicked her, all the while swearing at her. The brutality of the police shocked the passengers in the railroad car. The conductor of the train could not stand watching the scene, so he convinced the police to stop in front of all the other passengers.

After returning to Changchun, Mr. Wei was first detained in the Changchun City Public Security Bureau. Later, policeman Zhang Zhihong from the Silian Police Station in Changchun No. 1 Auto Manufacturing sent him to the Changchun No. 2 Detention Center. Upon his arrival in the lobby of the detention center, a young policeman rushed over and punched him in the face.

In the inmate room, there was a gang leader (the inmates called him “second brother”). Although detained, the gang leader enjoyed special treatment. For example, the other inmates brought food to him, prepared his bath, even fetched him toilet paper. He seemed to have power over the others, as they would take their cue from him. As soon as Mr. Wei Chunyu arrived there, his clothes were confiscated by the inmates. It was a chilly Autumn in Northeastern China, and they only allowed Mr. Wei a thin set of prisoner clothes. They poured several buckets of water on him, and opened the window to let in the cold air. They beat him with their fists and kicked him. They grabbed him by the hair and smashed his head against the wall. They pierced his fingertips with a needle. They punched the inside of his legs repeatedly, causing his legs to be bruised and making unable to walk or bend down. They also struck his ankle with a clothes hanger so hard it caused his periosteum to be seriously injured, and this resulted in a hole on his right foot. Both feet were much too swollen to wear shoes.

Torture Re-enactment: Squeezing Toothbrush between Fingers

Then they held on to two fingers and inserted a toothbrush in between them. They rotated the toothbrush forcefully and then took joy in seeing how his fingers were mangled beyond recognition.

Mr. Wei Chunyu was detained in the No. 2 Detention Center for 27 days, where he suffered from various tortures. Among these tortures, some were seemingly conducted by the inmates, but it is well-known that without the direction and approval of the guards, even the gang leader would not behave that way.

The local CCP authorities sentenced Mr. Wei Chunyu to one-year of forced labor. However, the forced labor camp refused to take Mr. Wei because of the serious injuries to his feet. Later on, with the help of a kind-hearted person, his forced labor term was canceled.

Forced to Become Destitute and Homeless for 13 Years

Later, Mr. Wei Chunyu was admitted to the Workers' Hospital of No. 1 Auto Manufacturing for medical treatment. However, after his recovery, his employer refused to reinstate his employee status unless he wrote a guarantee not to practice Falun Gong anymore. Half a year later, although his employer allowed him to come back to work, the CCP committee in No. 1 Auto Manufacturing soon organized a so-called “exposing and criticizing” meeting to attack and slander Falun Dafa and its Master. During the period of time when Mr. Wei was persecuted, his employer withheld his salary and bonus. After he came back to work, he was required to report to policeman Zhang Zhihong at the local Silian Police Station every day when he went to work and after work.

On June 12, 2001, the neighborhood office incited a group of people to go to Mr. Wei's work unit. They used deceptive means trying to coerce Mr. Wei to “study” at the brainwashing center. Mr. Wei refused to go with them, so they forced him into their car and took him to the Xinglongshan Brainwashing Center. Upon arriving at the brainwashing center, police officer Zhao Jianping punched Mr. Wei in the head and face, dragged him by his hair and smashed his head against the wall. In the brainwashing center, there was a notorious policeman called Zhang Zhengzhen. Many Falun Gong practitioners were brutally beaten by him. A female Falun Gong practitioner in her 60's was beaten by him so severely that she could not walk. Even after more than a month later, she could only walk slowly while leaning against the wall.

The brainwashing center forces practitioners to watch videos slandering Falun Gong every day. As one of the means to brainwash them, the center colluded with a so-called “professor,” Wang Zhigang, who gave brainwashing lectures to practitioners every day. What came out of “professor” Wang's mouth was venom that slandered Buddha and the Fa. They also sent a section leader with the last name Chen who believes in Buddhism to talk about “Bodhisattva Kishitigarbha Vow Sutra" every day. They tried to force Falun Gong practitioners to “reform” and write the so-called “Five Statements.”

Mr. Wei Chunyu could not withstand such brutal mental persecution. On September 2, 2001, he escaped from the Xinglong Brainwashing Center and became homeless.

Mr. Wei Chunyu was born in February 1964. In 1986, he came to work at the equipment engineering department of the No. 9 Design and Research Institute (later turned into the Designing Institute of No. 1 Auto Manufacturing), Ministry of Mechanical Industry. In 1992, he was conferred the rank of professional engineer. He was always conscientious and responsible at work. He was once honored as a model worker in the Design Institute. In 1997, he became the head of the professional group as a technical elite in his working unit.

As the persecution began in 1999, Mr. Wei Chunyu was deprived of his eligibility for applying for the rank of Senior Engineer by his employer with the excuse that he practiced Falun Gong. At the end of 1999 when the Design Institute merged into No. 1 Auto Manufacturing, every employee was given a bonus of over 20,000 Yuan RMB, but Mr. Wei received nothing. Later, the employer gave several raises to its employees, but Mr. Wei was excluded from any of the raises. At that time, the Party Secretary was Yang Xichun, and the director of the Institute was Zhang Yinhuai. The director of the Organization Department was Wang Shuchun. The director of the Equipment Engineering Department was Wang Yanjun. These are the people directly responsible for the persecution of Mr. Wei Chunyu.

Later, Mr. Wei Chunyu was dismissed from work by his employer. His wife could not bear the pressure and pain. Fearing for her son's future, she divorced her husband. Mr. Wei became homeless when his son was only 12 years old. It has been over 10 years since Mr. Wei last saw his son.

Mr. Wei Chunyu was persecuted into divorce and homelessness because he persisted in upholding his belief in Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance. His young son has endured serious mental trauma, and is growing up under emotional pain and pressure.