Name: (李福琴) Li Fuqin
Gender: Female
Age: 61
Address: Weifang City, Shandong Province
Date of Most Recent Arrest: November 11, 2012
Most Recent Place of Detention: (潍坊市奎文区委党校院内的洗脑班) A Brainwashing Center within a CCP school (north of Fushou St. and west of Xinhua Rd.) in the Kuiwen District, Weifang City
Detention City:
Detention Province:
Persecution Suffered:
Brainwashing, beatings, extortion, physical restraint, home ransacked

( Ms. Li Fuqin was taken to a brainwashing center on November 11 and tortured so badly that the authorities then took her to a hospital emergency room because she was so close to death. Ms. Li was eventually allowed to go home, but she is still unable to care for herself because of extremely high blood pressure.

Ms. Li's ordeal began at 6:30 a.m. on November 11, 2012, when the Weifang Public Security Bureau ordered Kuiwen District policeman Gu Zhiyong to arrest her. Gu and a dozen others tried to break into Ms. Li's home. Her son and daughter-in-law were outside the house, trying to stop them. Gu then called Ershilibao Police Station officers, who came and detained Ms. Li's son. They pushed Ms. Li's daughter-in-law down, broke the lock on the door, and went in. They forced Ms. Li down on the floor before she could say anything and began an illegal search. They confiscated four photos of Teacher Li Hongzhi and all of her Falun Dafa books. They confiscated her children's two computers, a DVD burner, two MP4 players, six cell phones, 10,000 yuan (US $1,670), and other possessions. Her son was not released until 24 hours later.

Gu took Ms. Li to the brainwashing center. Two other practitioners, Mr. Shen Jili and his wife, were also taken there at the same time. Ms. Gu was taken to a room in the facility equipped with a metal cage—a three-square-meter cube—covered with barbed wire. Gu ordered several officers to tie Ms. Li to a metal chair in the cage.

The next morning, an unidentified officer in his 50s savagely beat Ms. Li and cursed at her. The other officers he ordered to handcuff her slapped her face. Ms. Li became dizzy and nauseous. She could not open her eyes, her heart started to race, and she passed out. She was like that for six days. Gu arranged to have Ms. Li's blood pressure taken at a hospital, where doctors measured it at 237 over 128. They also advised that she had symptoms of blood clotting. Despite her life-threatening condition, the Weifang Public Security Bureau ordered the hospital to release her. She was taken back to the brainwashing center and tortured further.

The police ordered two men to monitor Ms. Li 24 hours a day. Each day, someone bombarded her with Chinese Communist Party propaganda. They tried to force her to renounce her belief in Falun Gong. Ms. Li blood pressure was still extremely high, and she needed assistance just to walk or use the bathroom. The authorities extorted 20,000 yuan (US $3,300) from Ms. Li's family before they finally released her.

Even after returning home, her blood pressure is still above 200. She is dizzy all the time and cannot focus. She often wakes up in the middle of the night because of nightmares. She is unable to care for herself, and her younger sister has to take care of her. Her 11-year-old granddaughter was so traumatized by the incident that she does not want to go to school. She often wakes up in the middle of the night screaming for her grandmother.