(Minghui.org) A 21-year-old woman from Beijing was reported and arrested when meeting with detention center authorities in October 2013. Five members from her family were tortured to death. Her mother, Ms. Chen Shulan, the only survivor, is paralyzed and in a detention center. The young woman is currently in the Chaoyang District Detention Center.

Two lawyers went to the detention center to see Ms. Li Ying on November 6, 2013. The center authorities refused to allow the lawyers to see their client. The lawyers were later called in for a meeting with the police and pressured to not represent her.

Ms. Li Ying Arrested

Ms. Li's mother, Ms. Chen Shulan, is in the Beijing No. 2 Detention Center. Several of her vertebrae were fractured as a result of torture in August 2013. She was taken to the Beijing Police Hospital. However, the hospital was not able to provide effective treatment and she has been bedridden for 90 days.

The Beijing No. 2 Detention Center denied Ms. Chen's lawyer's request to meet with his client. The daughter and the lawyer filed complaints with the city government and the departments that oversee the Beijing Police Department.

The Beijing No. 2 Detention Center arranged a meeting with the daughter on October 31, 2013, to discuss the details of her visits with her mother. Center personnel recorded the meeting. Shi, an official from the center, inquired about Ms. Li's family. Ms. Li told him that five members of her family had already died as a result of the persecution and that only she and her mother were left. Shi said that Ms. Li was promoting Falun Gong to him and reported her.

Ms. Li was arrested and taken to the Dougezhuang Police Station in the Chaoyang District. She was interrogated by Xu Yong, officer from the Preliminary Hearing Section of Beijing Police Department, and a deputy director of the police station. She was charged with the crime of “using a heretical organization to undermine the implementation of law” and taken to the Chaoyang Detention Center.

Mother Sentenced to Prison and Tortured

Ms. Chen Shulan was sentenced to seven and a half years in prison in 2002, when her daughter, Ms. Li Ying, was only 10. After Ms. Chen was released in 2010, she went through many difficulties to find her daughter, who had been separated from her for almost eight years.

Ms. Chen Shulan

Ms. Chen was arrested by officers from the Songyuan Police Station of the Changping District for explaining the facts about the persecution of Falun Gong on December 16, 2012. The Changping District Court took her to court on May 23 and August 1. She was sentenced to a four-year prison term.

Changping District Court announced the verdict on August 2, 2013. She was shackled and handcuffed behind her back and could not move. On the way back to the detention center, the bailiff, who was driving the car too fast, deliberately slammed on the brakes, and Ms. Chen was thrown forwards. She cried, “My back hurts. My back is broken.” She asked the driver to slow down and help her sit up. The driver ignored her and continued to speed.

Ms. Chen was taken to Nankou Hospital and Changping District Hospital and was diagnosed with several fractured vertebrae. She was taken to the Beijing Police Hospital that afternoon. However, the treatment she received was ineffective and she is now bedridden.

Officials Refuse to Accept Responsibility

Ms. Chen's daughter, Ms. Li Ying, questioned the president and other officials of the Changping District Court. The officials didn't accept responsibility. The daughter asked for a disability evaluation and a review of the medical record and treatment plan, but received no reply. The authorities did not even allow her to see her mother.

The lawyer finally got to see Ms. Chen on August 19. He found out that no one took care of her, nor did she receive proper medical treatment. She was only given one calcium tablet daily.

Ms. Chen's parents had four children, all of whom practiced Falun Gong. Ms. Chen's parents, both of her brothers, and her sister were tortured to death. The plight of her family was brought to the attention of the U.N. Human Rights Council as a typical case of CCP persecution of Falun Gong practitioners.

Ms. Chen Shulan and her family

Chaoyang Detention Center in Beijing: +86-10-65484804, +86-10-65484780

Earlier report:
Only Surviving Member of a Family of Seven in Critical Condition--Ms. Chen Shulan's Spine Fractured