Summary of Key Facts:

Name: Han Fenghua (韩凤华)
Gangyao Town, Longtan District, Jilin City, Jilin Province
Former teacher at Gangyao Town Middle School and Jilin City Utilities Engineering School
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
July 31, 2012
Most Recent Place of Detention:
Heizuizi Forced Labor Camp in Changchun City (长春黑嘴子劳教所)
Persecution Suffered:
Forced labor, brainwashing, illegal sentencing, torture, dismissal from job, home ransackIng, detention, beatings, electric shocks solitary confinement, forced standing for extended periods of time.

After the Chinese communist regime started its persecution of Falun Gong in July 1999, many practitioners went to Beijing to appeal for justice. Instead of listening to their pleas, the regime arrested, detained, tortured, and brainwashed these people, who simply wanted to live according to the principles of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance.

The following story recounts the ordeals of a teacher, who was mistreated and harassed by the regime for remaining steadfast in her belief in Falun Gong.

Arrested and Tortured for Appealing for Justice

Ms. Han Fenghua, formerly a teacher at the Gangyao Town Middle School in Longtan District, Jilin City, was transferred to the Jilin City Utilities Engineering School. After the communist regime started to persecute Falun Gong, Ms. Han went to Beijing several times to appeal for justice. She was arrested, detained, beaten, and sent to a brainwashing center twice. Because she remained steadfast in her beliefs and told people who were poisoned by the regime's lies the truth about Falun Gong and the persecution, the police broke into her home and harassed her. She was forced to leave home, and she became homeless and destitute.

Officers from the Jilin National Security Division, the Public Security Bureau, and Zhanqian Police Station broke into Ms. Han's home on July 31, 2012, at 10:00 p.m. They ransacked the home, took her computer, printer, CD burner, and other personal belongings, and arrested her. She was tortured in the police station until she passed out. Security bureau officials hastily took her to Heizuizi Forced Labor Camp in Changchun City. Her family tried to find her but failed, since they didn't know where she had been taken. It took them nearly a month to learn where she was.

Tortured in Forced Labor Camp

Ms. Han was taken to the fourth battalion at the forced labor camp. Several guards subsequently handcuffed her to a bed railing. Chief Zhu Dan, captain Jin Lihua, and guards Zhang Xiaohui and Feng Xiaochun, shocked her mercilessly with four electric batons. She went into convulsions and became incontinent.

The guards locked Ms. Han in a cell and forced her to stand up straight from 5:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. every day. The guards punched, cursed, and kicked her when she didn't cooperate. Due to the torture, she threw up, which the other inmates could hear, but the guards simply ignored. Fifteen days later, she had a heart attack, again went into convulsions, and fainted. She was then taken to a hospital.

Attempting to "Reform" Practitioners with Torture

In September 2012, Zhang Xiaohui, a guard in the forced labor camp, brought in two helpers, Jin Yingshu and Wu Huimin, to help him “reform” practitioners. They used the “stretching” torture on the practitioners. When Ms. Han noticed that other practitioners couldn't withstand this form of torture, she compromised against her conscience. She was subsequently forced to do slave labor, not allowed to take even a short break when she got tired, and forced to take medication.

Because of the intense labor with no breaks, her fingers became stiff and she could no longer bend them. Nonetheless, the guards continued to force her to work until she finished the quota.

Ms. Han is still in Heizuizi Women's Forced Labor Camp, as are practitioners Ms. Fei Guiling from Liuhe County and Ms. Xie Lijuan from Changchun City.

Related article:
Middle School Teacher Ms. Han Fenghua from Jilin City Sent to Forced Labor Camp Again