Summary of Key Persecution Facts
Name: Hu Nanling (胡南玲)

Age: 61
65 Madu Village, Xinjian Town, Jinyun County, Zhejiang Province (缙云县新建镇马渡村65号)
Occupation: Unknown
Date of Most Recent Arrest:
June 5, 2012
Most recent place of detention:
Junyun County Detention Center (缙云看守所)
City: Jinyun County
Persecution Suffered:
Detention, forced to kneel on the ground for seven hours, extortion, brainwashing, forced labor .

Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Hu Nanling has been detained for over a year, and is now facing an illegal trial. Ms. Hu was notified on July 4, 2013 to pick up the indictment, issued by the Jinyun County 610 Office, the Domestic Security Department, the Procuratorate, and the court. Ms. Hu's family has hired an attorney to defend her.

Ms. Hu had been arrested, detained, sent to a brainwashing center twice, and served time in a forced labor camp.

Ms. Hu went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong in October 1999. She was taken back to her hometown in Xinjian Town, Jinyun County by police officer Wu Guisheng and detained in the Jinyun Detention Center for a month. While in detention, she was forced to recite the so-called “prison rules and regulations,” and kneel down on the floor for seven hours. She was bailed out by her family for 7,000 yuan, and the prison authorities provided no receipt.

Ms. Hu was taken in January 2000 to the brainwashing center in Xinjian Town where she was persecuted for a month. On the first day, three female practitioners (Ms. Hu Nanling, Ms. Hu Nanye, and Ms. Li Huiyun) along with a male practitioner, were held in the same room. They were given a bucket for the four of them to use as a toilet. It was wintertime and the temperature was six degrees. Four practitioners were squeezed into two small benches and their feet were lightly covered by a blanket that was delivered to them by Ms. Li Huiyun's mother.

Ms. Hu's family was forced to pay a fine amounting to 8,000 yuan, of which 5,000 was used to compensate the travel expenses of Wu Guisheng and other police officers. Because Ms. Hu's family didn't have enough money to pay the fine, guards from the brainwashing center broke into their home and confiscated their motorcycle, wardrobe, and sewing machine. Ms. Hu's 16-year-old son was home at the time and tried to stop the guards from taking their belongings. As a result, he was arrested and detained for a day and night. This incident brought much harm to the Hu family and added fuel to the fire. Later, with much difficulty, Ms. Hu's husband managed to borrow 8,000 yuan from their friends and relatives.

Ms. Hu was taken to the Dayuan Brainwashing Center in Jinyun County in September 2001, where she was persecuted for 1.5 months. In order to “reform” her, guards at the brainwashing center forced her to watch videos that slandered Falun Gong and its founder, and do slave labor.

While taking care of her daughter-in-law in December 2001, who had just given birth, Ms. Hu was framed by the Jinyun Public Security Bureau and Xinjian Police Station. She was arrested and taken to the Jinyun Detention Center, then later sentenced to serve 2.5 years in a forced labor camp, and released in April 2004.

Ms. Hu was framed again on June 5, 2012, as she was taking care of her daughter-in-law, who had given birth to her second child. Ms. Hu was taken to the Jinyun Detention Center by officers from the Jinyun Public Security Bureau and Xinjian Police Station. She was again arrested on July 5, 2012. She went on a hunger strike to protest her persecution. She became emaciated, and was emaciated and bailed out by her family on August 10, 2012.

Case personnel: Pan Weiqing, deputy director of the Domestic Security Department in Jinyun County (It was reported that Pan is now captain of the Renhu Town Police Station) Zhou Lan, assistant procurator