Name: Ma Shufen (马淑芬)
Gender: Female
Age: 52
Address: Yangming District, Mudanjiang City, Heilongjiang Province
Occupation: Farmer
Date of Most Recent Arrest: April 25, 2011
Most Recent Place of Detention: Harbin Drug Rehabilitation Center (哈尔滨戒毒所)
City: Harbin
Province: Heilongjiang
Persecution Suffered: Sleep deprivation, forced labor, brainwashing, illegal sentencing, beatings, hung up, imprisonment, torture, interrogation, detention

( Ms. Ma Shufen from Yangming District, Mudanjiang City, Heilongjiang Province was illegally arrested in April 2011 while she was clarifying the facts about Falun Gong in school. She was subjected to one year of forced labor in the Harbin Drug Rehabilitation Center and was released at the end of April 2012 after serving her full term. But agents from the Mudanjiang City 610 Office took her from the labor camp directly to the Mudanjiang Brainwashing Center, where she has been held and subject to brainwashing.

The 610 Office in Mudanjiang set up a brainwashing center on the second floor of the Mudanjiang Motor Vehicle Driving School. The center targets Falun Gong practitioners. In the center, 610 Office agents brainwash practitioners, and both physically and mentally abuse them to force them to renounce their belief. The abusers' bonuses and promotions are tied to the “transformation rate”. The brainwashing center personnel are Li Gaoyang, Yi Xiaofeng, Zhao Min, Zhang Kunye, Zhang Lihui, and collaborator Wang Shuhua (female).

Ms. Ma Shufeng lives in the Eighth Group of Mucaiwei, Yangming District, Mudanjiang. After the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) launched the persecution of Falun Gong practitioners in 1999, she was repeatedly arrested and subjected to forced labor four times. She suffered tremendously from mental and physical abuse.

First Forced Labor Ordeal

In November 1999, former Mudanjiang CCP secretary Shen Yucheng and former Political and Legal Committee secretary Li Chunyi put Ms. Ma Shufen, Ms. Ning Hong, Mr. Yu Bo and Ms. Lin Limin in a forced labor camp and slandered them on television. In the Harbin Women's Drug Rehabilitation Center, guards cuffed Ms. Ma to the metal fence of basement because she did not renounce her belief.

Second Forced Labor Ordeal

On the morning of February 17, 2006, Ms. Ma went to practitioner Ms. Zhou Zhirong's home in Xiachengzi Town. While they were talking, four or five officers broke into the room, arrested Ms. Ma, Ms. Zhou and Ms. Zhou's husband, and seized Ms. Zhou's Falun Dafa books and materials, as well as her 3,000 yuan in cash. The police took them first to the local police station, then to the Muling City Domestic Security Division in the afternoon. Zhou Xinsheng and Li Yanchun, heads of the Domestic Security Division, interrogated Ms. Ma and Ms. Zhou separately in two rooms. Li and another officer handcuffed Ms. Ma behind her back with one arm bent over her shoulder. They constantly lifted up the handcuff, made her stand in a half-standing, half-pushed-out position, and at the same time forced her to stretch her legs out straight. They kept beating and kicking her, coercing her to say lies. But she refused to answer any questions. They swore at her and abused her until after 5:00 p.m. They then sent Ms. Ma and Ms. Zhou to the Muling City Detention Center. Guard Wang Zhanjun repeatedly cursed and beat Ms. Ma. Ms. Ma was later imprisoned at the Heilongjiang Province Drug Rehabilitation Forced Labor Camp. At this location, guards deprived practitioners of sleep. They cuffed practitioners to the metal fence in a basement, so they had to squad for hours, days, or even periods of over 10 full days. The guards used this method to punish those practitioners who refused to “transform” or obey “camp regulations”, or those practitioners who declared their “transformation” void. Ms. Ma was one of the practitioners who was repeatedly tortured.

Third Forced Labor Ordeal

On November 28, 2008, the Xi'an District Court held a trial against some local Falun Gong practitioners. Ms. Ma went to audit the trial and was arrested by officers from Caishi Police Station. One day in December 2008, officers Peng Fuming, Ma Qun, Peng Liang and others took Ms. Ma from the detention center to the police department, where they interrogated and tortured her. The interrogation room had a tiger bench in the middle, close to the door. Various torture instruments laid near the left wall. The room was dim. Its wall was covered with soft foam wrapped in cloth. There were no windows. A surveillance camera was mounted on the top right corner of the back wall. An interrogation stage was in front of the back wall. Peng Fuming asked questions on the stage, while Ma Qun took notes. Ma Qun and Peng Liang then bent Ms. Ma's arms behind her back, and tied them using string. At the same time, they cursed her. When he saw that Ms. Ma would not talk to them, Ma Qun tied Ms. Ma's arms with additional string. He bent her hands hard behind her back. She could hardly breathe because of the pain. When she was about to lose consciousness, they released her, then lifted and dragged her arms hard to deepen her pain.

After a while, they tied up Ms. Ma a second time, and then a third. Each time would last longer. When they stopped after 10:00 p.m., Ms. Ma had multiple dark purple marks on her arms and was not able to move them.

The officers were unable to get Ms. Ma to talk, so they sent her to the Railroad Detention Center. Twenty days later, Peng Fuming took her back to the original detention center, the First Detention Center. Two weeks later, on January 13, Peng Fuming and Ma Qun took her back to the interrogation room in the police department. Ms. Ma ran out of the room when she noticed the door was open. Peng Fuming grabbed her, beat and kicked her, dragged her hair and rammed her head against the wall. She fell to the ground, splitting her lower lip.

Peng Fuming found a paper clip. He used a pair of pliers to straighten one end of the clip and fastened a string to the other end. He pushed Ms. Ma into an iron chair, and put the sharp end of the clip into her nose. He used the clip as a hook and stood on a bench to drag the rope up. The metal tip poked her nose. Tears ran down her face. It took a long time for the wounds inside her nose to heal. But her eyes are still unable to see things clearly.


Torture re-enactment: Iron chair

Peng Liang and Peng Fuming still did not get Ms. Ma to talk during the torture. They then changed to another torture method. They handcuffed her behind her back to the frame of the iron chair, tied her legs using a rope, then dragged the rope forward. All her body weight had to be supported by her arms. Peng then pushed her legs downward. She suffered tremendous pain. They later put one of her legs down but still dragged her other leg in the air. She could neither stand nor squat. Her waist shook from holding the position. Her whole body perspired because of the pain.

The torture lasted from 2:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. Her tendons, bones, and muscles were severely injured, as were her internal organs. She had difficulty breathing and lost feeling in her waist. She was not able to lift her right arm, and her wrist joint became deformed. She had blood lesions inside her nose, a badly swollen lower lip, and a bleeding mouth. She could only lay on a bed, and had to be taken care of by two other imprisoned practitioners.

Fourth Forced Labor Ordeal

On April 25, 2011, Ms. Ma told three students in junior high the facts about Falun Gong. One of the students reported her. She was arrested by the officers from the Longfeng Police Department and was subjected to one year of forced labor. She was imprisoned at the Harbin Drug Rehabilitation Center. Once her prison term was finished at the end of April 2012, agents from the 610 Office in Mudanjiang took her directly to a brainwashing center from the prison.

Personnel involved in the persecution of Ms. Ma:
Wang Yuwei, secretary of the Mudanjiang Political and Legal Affairs Committee: +86-13339537666 (Cell), +86-453-6996666 (Home)
Guan Jiumian, director of the Mudanjiang 610 Office: +86-13836378002 (Cell), +86-453-6412208 (Home)
Li Gaoyang, Mudanjiang 610 Office agent: +86-13704835782 (Cell), +86-453-6540808 (Home)
Sun Zhenhua, Mudanjiang 610 Office agent: +86-13303639666 (Cell), +86-453-6915638 (Home)