Name: Liu Mulan (柳木兰)
Gender: Female
Age: 47
Address: Xinzhou District, Wuhan City, Hubei Province
Date of Most Recent Arrest: June 25, 2011
Most Recent Place of Detention: Guangdong Province Women's Prison (广东省女子监狱)
City: Wuhan
Province: Hubei
Persecution Suffered: Illegal sentencing, detention

( Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Liu Mulan is 47 years old and lives in the Xinzhou District, Wuhan City, Hubei Province. She was arrested in the Sanhe Economic Development Zone in the Huiyang District of Huizhou City, Guangdong Province, on June 25, 2011, and was illegally sentenced to three and a half years prison by the Huiyang District Court. She was transferred to the Guangdong Province Women’s Prison from the Huiyang District Detention Center around January 10, 2012. She is now being tortured in Ward No. 4 of the prison.

Her family learned that she had high blood pressure and is worried about her safety. On February 16, 2012, her husband, mother, elder sister, son, and daughter went to Guangzhou City. In order to be there on visiting day, which was the following day, her elderly mother and sister didn’t get any sleep the night before and arrived at the prison without having had any rest.

However, the prison guards didn’t allow them to see Ms. Liu at first, saying that they had not brought a visitation card. After her family insisted on their right to visit, the guards allowed only two family members in, so her son and daughter did not get to see their mother. In addition, the guards ordered the two family members to say only what the guards told them to say, otherwise, they would have terminated their visit. Moreover, they threatened these two not to disclose anything about their visit to the others. Because they were afraid that the guards might treat Ms. Liu even worse, the family members did as they were told and didn’t reveal Ms. Liu’s condition to her children.

After the family returned home, they examined everything the prison officials had sent them previously. It turned out that they had not send any visitation cards at all. The guards just used this as an excuse to prevent the family from visiting Ms. Liu and seeing the condition she was in. Afterwards, the family called the prison many times to ask about this, but no guards answered their call.

On March 19, Ms. Liu’s husband received a letter from the prison. The handwriting on the envelope was hers, but the letter was written by someone else. The letter stated that Ms. Liu had serious high blood pressure and told the family to convince her to take medicine.

After the family received this letter, everyone was worried about Ms. Liu. She was always in good health after she started to practice Falun Gong, but after being in prison, she was told to take medicine. Her family kept calling the prison and finally a guard answered the phone. They were notified that Ms. Liu was still incarcerated. When they disputed the receipt of a visitation card, the guard blamed it on Ms. Liu, saying that she had not allowed them to send that card.

Additional Information on the Maltreatment of Ms. Liu Mulan

Ms. Liu appealed for justice for Falun Gong in Beijing three times. She was subjected to one year of imprisonment by the Wuhan City Court in 2001.

On the evening of June 25, 2011, Ms. Liu was distributing truth-clarification fliers in Huizhou City, when she was arrested by the local police. The police subsequently ransacked her home. She was then sentenced to three and a half years in prison. Her family was denied visitation multiple times.