Name: Ms. Fengying Zhang
Age: 62
Residence: Huilong Guan Residential Area, Changping District, Beijing, China
Date of most recent arrest: November 25, 2012
Most recent place of detention: Changping Detention Center, Beijing

( Ms. Fengying Zhang, 62, was illegally arrested in Beijing on November 25, 2012. Her family has not seen her since. Her child has written the account below as a plea to the international community to help rescue her:

Ms. Fengying Zhang in 2010

Details of the Most Recent Arrest

At 9:40 a.m. on Nov. 25, 2012, my mother, Ms. Fengying Zhang, left home and went to the grocery market to do some shopping. She never came back.

She was arrested by officers from the Huoying Police Station, in Changping District of Beijing, around 11 a.m., when she spoke to local residents about how much she had benefited from practicing Falun Gong.

On the afternoon of the same day, she was transferred to the Changping District Detention Center in Beijing. She was accused of the trumped-up charge “committing a crime by using an evil cult to undermine law enforcement,” according to the notice issued on November 27, 2012, by the detention center.

Background and Timeline

March 1996 – My mom began practicing Falun Gong, and her diseases such as gynecopathy, periarthritislogical disorders, frozen shoulder, cervical spondylosis, osteoarthritis and chronic gastroenteritis—from which she had suffered for many years—all disappeared soon thereafter. My mom did her best to live her life in accordance with the principles of Truthfulness-Compassion- Forbearance, as taught by Falun Gong.

July 20, 1999 – The Chinese communist regime launched a brutal persecution of Falun Gong. Beijing police intimidated and monitored my mom in an attempt to arrest her.

2000 – Police imposed pressure on her workplace, so my mom lost her job and could not find another one because no company would dare to take a Falun Gong practitioner due to the pressure from the authorities.

From July 1999 to February 2001 – My mom was arrested and severely tortured 3 times in 2 years:

  • In July 1999, she was arrested for trying to appeal for the right to practice Falun Gong at the State-Council Appeals Office.

  • On June 03, 2000, she was arrested again when she went to Tiananmen Square to tell people that Falun Gong is good.

  • On December 16, 2000, at the age of 50, she was arrested once more and accused of “disturbing social order” for explaining to people that the communist regime's propaganda that slandered Falun Gong was false.

  • During the same period of about 2 years, police also kicked open the door and broke into my mom's house many times, day and night, shouting at her.

  • While in the detention center, police stepped on my mom and beat her barbarically. The guards also force-fed her violently, which resulted in nose and gastric bleeding. They handcuffed her hands and feet, covered her head, and ordered criminal inmates such as murderers and prostitutes to tighten her handcuffs, strip her clothes off and throw her outside in the freezing cold of winter. My mom lost consciousness due to the brutal torture and was near-death; her body twitched. When she was finally released from the detention center, she had to become homeless in order to avoid being persecuted further.

March 2008 – Before the Beijing Olympics, the Beijing police went to our house to arrest my mom, who was able to escape but had to become homeless again in order to avoid arrest.

November 25, 2012 – My mom was arrested and detained at the Changping District Detention Center in Beijing. Our family has not seen her since the arrest.

December 07, 2012 – A woman with surname Tian, working for the Neighborhood Committee of Longyuan, identified herself as checking lotteries and deceived my dad into opening the door. Police then rushed into the house, ransacked and searched all rooms and, without anyone's permission, illegally recorded their search.

Impact of the persecution on my family

From 2000 to 2001, my dad’s workplace withheld his salary because of my mom’s belief in Falun Gong. The neighbors were scared of associating with us, and even our relatives lost contact with us, since our family was under surveillance.

My grandfather, my mom's father, passed away in 1999. My mom could not attend his funeral because police went there to arrest her. Thus, she missed the last chance to see her father. When my grandmother, my mom's mother, passed away a few years ago, my mother also could not attend her funeral.

Parties involved in the persecution of my mother, Ms. Fengying Zhang:

Huoying Police Station, Changping District, Beijing: +86-10-8170 1600
Changping Detention Center, Beijing: +86-10-8979 8349, +86-10-8019 3803
Pre-trial division of Detention Center: +86-10-8979 8347
Changping District Police Department, Beijing: +86-10-6974 6110
Changping 610 Office: +86-10-8974 1645

Longyuan Police Station: +86-10-8075 5110, +86-10-8075 5273, +86-10-8075 5957

Yang (surname), police officer, pre-trial division of Detention Center: +86-1391 193 2916 (Cell), Badge #049788
Shengli Gao, police officer, pre-trial division of Detention Center: +86-1391 1652 656 (Cell)
Zhongyuan Zhang, police officer, Changping Detention Center: +86-10- 8019 3803, Badge #050253
Aiping Sun, head of 610 Office: +86-1365 105 1478 (Cell)
Xueyu Lian, agent, 610 Office: +86-1368 102 7211 (Cell)

Tian (surname) staff, Neighborhood Committee, Longyuan: +86-10-80753245, +86-13621068011 (Cell)