Name: Jiao Lin (焦林)
Gender: Male
Age: 55
Address: Fengcheng City, Liaoning Province
Occupation: Former sales representative in the Fengcheng Turbocharger Plant
Date of Most Recent Arrest: May 6, 2011
Most Recent Place of Detention: Fengcheng Detention Center (凤城看守所)
City: Fengcheng
Province: Liaoning
Persecution Suffered: Detention, beatings, torture

( In September 2010, Mr. Jiao Lin from Fengcheng City, Liaoning Province was arrested by local police for speaking with people about Falun Gong. He was physically abused and tortured until he was in critical condition. The police had to ask his family to take him home. When his health improved a bit, local police took him into custody again and Mr. Jiao was subjected to even harsher abuse and mistreatment. His family was furious upon seeing him in court, his body littered with bruises and other injuries. They are determined to hold the perpetrators accountable.

Mr. Jiao Lin started to practice Falun Gong ten years ago. Since then, he has held himself strictly to the principles of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance. He treated everyone with kindness, and was widely praised as a very good person.

Mr. Jiao and four other practitioners were arrested on September 5, 2010, as they spoke with people about Falun Gong in Baiqi Town. Baiqi Police Station officers Jiang Jun, Cao Dejun and others made the arrest. Cao Dejun and other officers physically abused Mr. Jiao during the night, then took him to the Fengcheng Detention Center the next day. Following a one-month detention, Mr. Jiao was in critical condition as a result of physical abuse and torture. He developed a gastric perforation and had the symptoms of tuberculosis. He was sent to a hospital for emergency treatment on October 19, 2010. Doctors suggested an immediate operation to save his life. To shirk responsibility for his condition, the authorities contacted his family members, and allowed them to take him home.

After Mr. Jiao's health improved a bit, he went to the Fengcheng City Political and Judiciary Committee around 9:00 a.m. on May 6, 2011, to ask for the return of his private car, which had been impounded by the local police. Sun Xiaobin told him to return home and wait. As soon as Mr. Jiao walked out of the committee's door, he was confronted by Chen Pingxian and another officer from the Domestic Security Division, who arrested him and then took him to the Fengcheng Detention Center.

Mr. Jiao stood trial at the Fengcheng Court at 9:00 a.m. on May 24, 2011. He defended himself in court. The presiding judge, Pan Shuqin, did not announce the verdict at the end of the trial, but only announced that Mr. Jiao's car would remain impounded.

When Mr. Jiao appeared in court that day, his family saw that he had been brutally abused and tortured during the twelve days he was detained: He was thinner, his face was as pale as wax, his right eye was bruised, and traces of cigarette burns could be seen on his chin and in the corners of his mouth.

Mr. Jiao's family was enraged and asked him, “Who has beaten you so terribly? We'll sue him!” In front of the judges and court police, Mr. Jiao described the torture he had been subjected to at the Fengcheng Detention Center: An inmate punched him in the face, and other inmates burned his chin with cigarette butts. He also took off his socks to show his family that his left foot was bruised and swollen after he was beaten with a pipe by an inmate. He was unable to wear shoes, and the instep of his foot had started to fester.

When Mr. Jiao showed his legs and his back, his family members were stunned to see that his back, lower back and legs were covered with bruises. Mr. Jiao also said that the inmates grabbed his head and smashed it against a wall and punched him in the face, loosening his teeth. On a cold day, inmates poured basin after basin of cold water over his head, soaking him. His clothes remained wet for several days, eventually drying on his body. The entire time he was so cold that his teeth chattered.

After Mr. Jiao's relatives and the people who observed the court proceedings saw and heard how Mr. Jiao had been abused and tortured, many people shed tears.

After the trial, Mr. Jiao's family immediately went to the police department to file a complaint against the Fengcheng Detention Center for having abused and tortured him. The officer who received them at the Complaints Section told them to meet the detention center's head Song Zhenhua at 1:30 p.m. that day.

More than twelve of Mr. Jiao's relatives came to the detention center at 1:30 p.m.. The center's heads, Song Zhenhua and Wang Changchun, met them. Wang Changchun tried hard to find excuses for their wrongdoing at the beginning, but when the family presented specific facts of the abuse and torture, Wang Changchun became flustered and spoke incoherently.

Mr. Jiao's family gave two requirements, for Mr. Jiao Lin not to be assaulted and for him to be sent to a hospital to have his external and internal injuries examined and treated. Song and Wang both promised that Mr. Jiao would not be mistreated again. Song Zhenhua responded to the family's second requirement by allowing two of Mr. Jiao's family to visit him.

Mr. Jiao Lin's complaint case is currently underway. His family are determined to keep up their effort to rescue him, and hold the perpetrators who participated in the abuse and torture of Mr. Jiao Lin accountable.

Parties participating in the persecution of Mr. Jiao Lin:

Sun Xiaobin, Fengcheng City Political and Judiciary Committee head: 86-150-41504827
Chen Bin, Fengcheng City Domestic Security Division head: 86-139-41595556
Song Zhenhua, Fengcheng Detention Center head: 86-136-04952687, 86-415-8266557 (Office), 86-415-8126032 (Home)
Wang Changchun, deputy head: 86-138-41512661, 86-415-8125440 (Home)
Chen Pingxian, Fengcheng City Domestic Security Division: 86-138-98502818, 86-415-8140166