Name: Li Yafang (李亚芳)
Gender: Female
Age: Unknown
Address: Unknown
Occupation: Retired
Date of Death:
Date of Most Recent Arrest: August 26, 2010
Most Recent Place of Detention: Harbin Detention Center (海林看守所)
City: Harbin
Province: Heilongjiang
Persecution Suffered: Imprisonment, home ransacked, interrogation, detention, extortion

( Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Li Yafang from Heilongjiang Province, was arrested in Harbin City last year at her home, and illegally detained and interrogated. Ms. Li refused to disclose information on other practitioners, and the police tried to send her to a forced labor camp, but the labor camp refused to accept her for failing the physical examination. Since the police were unsuccessful in their scheme, they extorted 10,000 yuan from the family of Ms. Li and other practitioners before they were released. The following is a recount of how she was persecuted:

My name is Li Yafang and I am retired and living in Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province. At about 7:00 a.m. on August 26, 2010, Jin Haizhu, policeman from the Harbin State Security Bureau, Zhang Qingquan from the Third Police Station, and two others broke into my home. Without any explanation, they ransacked my house and took away Dafa books, a photo of Master Li Hongzhi, a notebook computer, and two MP3 players. They forced me into a car and took me to the National Security Brigade.

The police interrogated me but I refused to answer their questions. At noon when they were having lunch, I told them that I wanted lunch, but they didn’t' say anything and did not provide me with any food. I said to them “I did not do anything to violate the law and yet you deny me my human rights.” They later they gave me some food. At 5:00 p.m. they took me to the hospital to have a physical checkup and then to a detention center.

There was another Falun Gong practitioner being detained in the center that day. The police did not want us to meet, and they took me to the Ningan Detention Center that evening. The water supply at that detention center comes from a shallow well that is not suitable for drinking, so the detainees had to buy mineral water to drink. Every day at a certain time, the detainees were let outside to have some fresh air, but the guards only let those who bought high-priced cigarettes go outside. Since I do not smoke, they did not let me out and I was locked inside all day.

Before eating or drinking water, the prison guards forced us to recite the prison rules and sing the songs of the Chinese Communist Party, but I refused. After two months, policewoman Jin Haizhu, the National Security Section captains Ding Yuhua, Wang Wei, Guan Jingwei, and others, came to the detention center to interrogate me. I refused to answer their questions. They finally took me to the Harbin Detention Center and tried chatting daily small talk in an attempt to gather information of other practitioners, but I still refused to answer.

The following day the police took the four of us to the Harbin Forced Labor Camp. On the way, Ding Yuhua still did not give up and once again tried to trick us to reveal information about fellow practitioners. When we arrived at the Harbin Labor Camp, we went through a series of checkups. My blood pressure was more than 200 and the labor camp refused to accept me. The other practitioners also had high blood pressure and the labor camp also refused to accept them. The police had no choice but to take us back to the Harbin Detention Center. The guards did not believe that we all had high blood pressure and had the prison doctor measure our blood pressure every day, but the results were the same. A month later, the guards could do nothing and extorted 10,000 yuan from each family before allowing our families to take us home.