Name: Shi Hongbo (史红波)
Gender: Male
Age: 42
Address: Jinzhou District, Dalian City, Liaoning Province
Occupation: Dumpling restaurant owner
Date of Death: February 28, 2011
Date of Most Recent Arrest: October 14, 2008
Most Recent Place of Detention: Weiningying Forced Labor Camp in Benxi City (本溪威宁营劳教所)
City: Dalian
Province: Liaoning
Persecution Suffered: Electric shock, forced labor, illegal sentencing, beatings, torture, home ransacked, detention

( Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Shi Hongbo, originally from Heilongjiang Province, ran a dumpling restaurant in the Jinzhou District of Dalian City. He conducted himself according to the principles of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance, and won trust and praise from his neighbors and customers.

Mr. Shi was arrested around 7:00 a.m. on October 14, 2008, in front of his home. Officers from the Rixin Street Police Station in the Xigang District made the arrest. Mr. Shi was later subjected to forced labor and physically abused and tortured at the Dalian Forced Labor Camp. He was covertly transferred to the Weiningying Law “Transformation” Center (a brainwashing center) in Benxi City in September 2009, where he was shocked with electric batons and subjected to beatings. He developed symptoms of serious illnesses and was released on April 1, 2010. After returning home, Mr. Shi developed a persistent high fever, coughed, and weakened steadily. He died early in the morning on February 28, 2011. His 75-year-old mother is now alone, grieving and uncared for.


Mr. Shi Hongbo

Illegally arrested

Mr. Shi left home for work around 7:00 a.m. on October 14, 2008. Three unidentified men illegally arrested him at the entrance to his residential area. The three then broke into his home and arrested his mother and Ms. Cong Pijing, who shared the house with them. The men called for five more police officers to ransack their home around 10:00 a.m.

The police confiscated two desktop computers, four printers, a CD burner, a scanner, a laminating machine, four mobile hard drives, a camera, two paper-cutting machines, two tape recorders, an MP3 player, a photo of Master Li Hongzhi, Falun Gong books, Master Li's Fa-lecture VCDs and tapes, and other personal property.

The perpetrators covered Mr. Shi and Ms. Cong's heads with plastic bags and forced them into a police vehicle. Mr. Shi's mother was also taken to the Rixin Police Station in the Xigang District, Dalian City. She was released that same night. Mr. Shi and Ms. Cong were taken to the Yaojia Detention Center the evening of October 15, 2008. Ms. Cong was sentenced to two years of forced labor, but the labor camp officials refused to admit her: more than three weeks of physical abuse and torture in the detention center left her to unable to walk or straighten her back. Doctors diagnosed her with dislocation of a lumbar vertebra. Mr. Shi was sentenced to one and a half years of forced labor and taken to the Dalian Forced Labor Camp on November 6, 2008.

Severely abused and tortured in Dalian Forced Labor Camp

Mr. Shi was held in the camp's No. 2. Division. Division head Dong Geqi and seven team heads attempted to force Mr. Shi to put on a prison uniform and wear a criminal ID badge on June 22, 2009. Mr. Shi firmly refused to cooperate. The guards pushed him onto a bed and forcibly put a uniform on him. Fifteen days were added to his term as a punishment. They used adhesive tape to tie Mr. Shi in a spread-eagle position in the bed, immobilized him, and put a boxing helmet on his head. Guard Zhou Houming then shocked the back of his neck with an electric baton.


Torture demonstration: a Falun Gong practitioner is tied in a spread-eagle position in bed; also called the "death bed" torture

Division head Dong Geqi ordered Mr. Shi released from the death-bed torture on June 26 and then tortured him with another method—handcuffing his arms between two beds, with his arms spread out as if "flying an airplane." Mr. Shi was only released from this position to use the restroom or eat.


Torture demonstration: arms handcuffed to two beds and arms spread out as if "flying an airplane"

Mr. Shi developed heart problems and high blood pressure as a result of physical abuse and torture.

Physically abused in Weiningying Forced Labor Camp in Benxi

Dalian Forced Labor Camp officials transferred Mr. Shi and two other practitioners, Mr. Liu Wei and Mr. Gong Xudong, to the “Weiningying Law Education Center” (Weiningying Forced Labor Camp) in Benxi on September 21, 2009. This is actually a brainwashing facility. A week later, he was sent to the forced labor division.

Instructed by division head Yang Dongdong, the guards forced Mr. Shi to put on a prison uniform on October 9, 2009. Division head Wang Aiguo and team head Zhang Shu shocked Mr. Shi's neck with two electric batons the morning of October 10, while fully aware of Mr. Shi's heart problems. Zhang Shu even beat Mr. Shi with a police club. Mr. Shi lost consciousness after three electric baton shocks. The labor camp doctor arrived a few minutes later. Checking Mr. Shi, they found that he suffered from serious heart problems. The doctor ordered criminal inmates to carry Mr. Shi to the clinic and did an ECG test and other exams. Mr. Shi was sent back to Division No. 10 after he regained consciousness.


Torture demonstration: Guards shock a Falun Gong practitioner with electric batons.

Mr. Shi's blood pressure remained at 150:180. Disregarding his poor health, guard Yang Dongdong kicked Mr. Shi and forced him to shovel snow.

Mr. Shi had been in sound health before he was subjected to forced labor, but after a year and a half of abuse in Dalian Forced Labor Camp and Weiningying Forced Labor Camp, his health deteriorated. His weight dropped from 215 pounds to 160 pounds, and doctors at two hospitals in Dalian—the Central Hospital and No.3 Hospital—diagnosed him with heart problems, high blood pressure, and kidney problems. Doctors in Benxi diagnosed him with lung problems. The labor camp officials sent Mr. Shi home after he was seen in the hospitals.

Mr. Shi returned home on April 1, 2010. He had a persistent high fever and cough, and weakened steadily. He died early in the morning on February 28, 2011.

Parties participating in the persecution of Mr. Shi Hongbo:

Rixin Street Police Station in the Xigang District, Dalian City:
Wu Leming, head: 86-13304112228
Sun Zhongchen, deputy head: 86-13130414212
Guo Liang, deputy head: 86-13500712025
Zou Changjiang, political head
Tao Yichen, 86-13889699009
Yang Jiaming, 86-13930039577
Yu Yonggang, 86-13198466608
Sun Bangdong, 86-15998503777
Sun Xiaodong, 86-13998612037
Liu Shan, 86-13998312037

Dalian Forced Labor Camp:
Dong Geqi, Li Maojiang, Wang Huajin, Zhou Houming, Zhang Feng, Liu Zheng

Weiningying Forced Labor Camp:
Liu Shaoshi, Guo Tieying, Zhang Tao, Wang Aiguo, Zhang Shu, Yang Dongdong